Thoughts on these ETFs

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
wec

Thoughts on these ETFs

Post by wec » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm

What are your thoughts on these ETFs from an european perspective.

Don't talk about other ones that are better, just please talk about these.

AMUNDI ETF EURO STOXX 50 UCITS ETF DR - EUR - ISIN:FR0010654913 ER: 0.15% of average net assets

iShares STOXX Europe 600 UCITS ETF (DE) - ISIN:DE0002635307 ER: 0.2%
Last edited by wec on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lack_ey

Re: Thoughts on these ETFs

Post by lack_ey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm

The Euro STOXX 50 only covers Eurozone mega cap stocks.

The STOXXX Europe 600 is broader, including mid caps and some (larger) small caps, and also including non-Eurozone European stocks.

The iShares ETF here has 7.3 billion EUR in assets, while the Amundi product has 2.4 billion. I would expect liquidity for both to be similar—the iShares AUM edge is maybe roughly compensated for by also including some somewhat less liquid holdings—but I don't know where to find specific information like that on non-US listed assets.

Generally in the name of diversification I would tend to favor the more wider-ranging product, but I don't think the difference should be that large most of the time, and the expense ratio favors the more concentrated mega cap fund.

wec

Post by wec » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

lack_ey wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm
The Euro STOXX 50 only covers Eurozone mega cap stocks.

The STOXXX Europe 600 is broader, including mid caps and some (larger) small caps, and also including non-Eurozone European stocks.

The iShares ETF here has 7.3 billion EUR in assets, while the Amundi product has 2.4 billion. I would expect liquidity for both to be similar—the iShares AUM edge is maybe roughly compensated for by also including some somewhat less liquid holdings—but I don't know where to find specific information like that on non-US listed assets.

Generally in the name of diversification I would tend to favor the more wider-ranging product, but I don't think the difference should be that large most of the time, and the expense ratio favors the more concentrated mega cap fund.
So, the STOXX Europe 600 is not bad for someone like me to start from, right ?

lack_ey

Post by lack_ey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 pm

wec wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm
So, the STOXX Europe 600 is not bad for someone like me to start from, right ?
That sounds fine, yes.

The STOXX Europe 600 is the index that the iShares STOXX Europe 600 UCITS ETF follows. You can invest in the latter but not the former. In some cases there is a meaningful distinction between the two so I try to be careful, though I fail a lot at it, I'm sure. Just checking.