Navy Fed CU eligibility: advice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
YoungLion

Navy Fed CU eligibility: advice

Post by YoungLion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

A friend wants to join Navy Fed CU. His father, now deceased, had served. In a 2/9/2017 blog post by Ken Tumin over on his blog depositaccounts.com, he mentioned he had called and had confirmed that family member of deceased veterans were eligible. I confirmed this through a chat with a Navy Fed rep.

I told my friend that he was eligible, but would have to call. He called and they told him he wasn't eligible and, when asked why, said "I'm not entirely sure - probably that I have no living family member in the service."

So the phone rep my friend called could have provided incorrect information and he should try again. Is that likely? Or maybe the father was dishonorably discharged (or something else disqualifying) and my friend doesn't really want to tell me . . . no skin off my nose.

Here's the advice question: Dummy up and drop it or suggest he try again?

Thanks in advance.

Pajamas

Re: Navy Fed CU eligibility: advice

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 am

Sounds like maybe he didn't actually call.

I would just take that as a hint to drop it, especially as it would seem to have no effect on you personally. Most people don't appreciate unsolicited financial advice.

For that matter, many people don't really appreciate solicited financial advice but are really just looking for confirmation of what they have already decided to do or similar.

YoungLion

Post by YoungLion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am

Yeah, doesn't effect me personally. My friend asked for advice. I gave it. I should consider it done.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 am

Eligibility
Immediate family members of current members and those who are eligible for membership. Immediate family includes:
  • Grandparents
  • Parents
  • Spouses
  • Siblings
  • Children (including adopted and stepchildren)
  • Grandchildren
  • Household members
Joining through a family member (sponsor), you’ll also need:
Sponsor’s last name
Sponsor’s Access Number or last four digits of their SSN and date of birth
Sponsor’s affiliation (e.g., Army, Navy, Contractor)
If your eligible family member is not currently a member of Navy Federal, please call 1-888-842-6328 or visit a branch.

I got this from Navy Federal website. It uses present tense, I think, your friend is not eligible.

AJS

Post by AJS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Your friend is not eligible. Navy Federal does not work like USAA.

I had a Navy Federal account when I was in the service. I closed my account when my enlistment was up because there were no branches nearby my home and the internet did not exist as it does today. So now, I'm not eligible because I'm not active or retired. If I not eligible, your friend definitely is not.
The sea was angry that day my friends...

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:25 am
Sounds like maybe he didn't actually call.

I would just take that as a hint to drop it, especially as it would seem to have no effect on you personally. Most people don't appreciate unsolicited financial advice.

For that matter, many people don't really appreciate solicited financial advice but are really just looking for confirmation of what they have already decided to do or similar.
+100

The only thing I would add is that often solicited financial advice is a veiled request for money.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

AJS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm

I had a Navy Federal account when I was in the service. I closed my account when my enlistment was up because there were no branches nearby my home and the internet did not exist as it does today. So now, I'm not eligible because I'm not active or retired. If I not eligible, your friend definitely is not.
Actually they recently opened membership to Veterans of all branches of service.

I just opened an account today after reading this post. They occasionally have great certificate rates.

The529guy

Post by The529guy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 pm

VA_Gent wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm
AJS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Actually they recently opened membership to Veterans of all branches of service.

I just opened an account today after reading this post. They occasionally have great certificate rates.
Indeed. How to Become a Member.