Help me stop my addiction to stock market peeping!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Toons

Re: Help me stop my addiction to stock market peeping!

Post by Toons » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 am

Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am
Toons wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am
Put a couple rubber bands on your wrist,
Every time you "peek".
Pull the rubber bands and let them "snap" on your wrist to produce a stinging effect.
It will aid you in "conditioning" your behavior
http://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/t ... certainty/

:beer
Skinner Excellent
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 am

Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".
Pull the rubber bands and let them "snap" on your wrist to produce a stinging effect.
Outstanding article!
mahalo,
j :D

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am

I am still in the accumulation period. I too look at it almost every day, however I am not stressed out, actually everytime I see some green $$$ i feel bad for my friends who are out of the market.
Even when I started in Dec 2014 and couple of months after I put few hundreds it was all in red ($-500 unrealized loss). I know that big crashes with bigger money is different, but $500 loss for a starter is more than people can imagine. What really helped me to stay on plan this awesome forum, and all the education from good books that I have got.
Also your if you are really worrying, then you may have too much stocks, may be it is time to think about your AA.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am

I still look at my account everyday unless I’m on vacation. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Maybe I’m a stockaholic, same as alcoholic people who see nothing wrong with alcohol.

ADower

Post by ADower » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 am

I check my stocks everyday. However, I literally take about 5 mins and I don't really freak out if they go up or down.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am

TallBoy29er wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".
:happy
If this doesn't work by itself, add a shot of bourbon to each snap. By early afternoon, you won't remember your passwords.
+1

......help me.....I can't get up......I'm on the floor laughing too hard....... :P

artthomp

Post by artthomp » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:40 am

I'm 77 years old and fortunately I'm not too dependent on my our market returns since my wife and I both receive SS, I have a company pension, and approximately 60% of my investments are in my IRA making our biggest income source my IRS Required Distribution.

Because of this relative independence from our stock market returns, I check everyday and determine my net worth every day out of simple curiosity by downloading the market close from Vanguard and pasting it into an Excel spreadsheet I created.

As I remember in 2009 during the housing crises on paper our investments lost approximately the value of our home but by the end of 2010 we had basically made it all back. In my opinion, you should setup a reasonable allocation scheme, re-balance at least once a year and don't worry about it.
Art

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Toons wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 am
Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".

:beer
Skinner Excellent
+1

But for the rubber band technique:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_stopping

CnC

Post by CnC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

I say checking is good.

But do my method.

Only check when the market goes us. When it goes down pretend like you don't know that and ignore it.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

If you are that anxious about your investments in the midst of an historic bull market you will be on the ledge should there be even a modest correction. I think it is fine to check investments very often -- if it doesn't create anxiety or motivate rash moves.

In your case you might be better served by putting your investments in a moderate or conservative all in one fund. There will be less chance of major drops and automatic re balancing. In any case try to move to looking at investments once a week as others have suggested.

I think Bogle's idea of never peek is very well meaning but not very wise. You do need to determine periodically that your money has not been taken, that your investments are being made as you directed and no other errors have been made. If there was a mistake or fraud and you hadn't looked at your statements etc. you could be at unnecessary risk.

BostonButterfly

Post by BostonButterfly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 pm

artthomp wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:40 am
I'm 77 years old and fortunately I'm not too dependent on my our market returns since my wife and I both receive SS, I have a company pension, and approximately 60% of my investments are in my IRA making our biggest income source my IRS Required Distribution.

Because of this relative independence from our stock market returns, I check everyday and determine my net worth every day out of simple curiosity by downloading the market close from Vanguard and pasting it into an Excel spreadsheet I created.

As I remember in 2009 during the housing crises on paper our investments lost approximately the value of our home but by the end of 2010 we had basically made it all back. In my opinion, you should setup a reasonable allocation scheme, re-balance at least once a year and don't worry about it.

Every Day?!?!?!

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm

It's so much fun when the market goes up every day.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Sorry, but I check our retirement portfolio and bank accounts at least once a day. I don't want any of our dollars taking up with a crook, and leaving home.

We have raised these dollars since they were cents. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 pm

I was just contemplating this very thing this week. I don't pay attention to the chatter of financial talking heads, but I do look and see if the S&P was +/- on the day.
I tend to look at our Vanguard account 1-2 times a day (IRA's, Taxable and wife's 403B) mainly on my smartphone Vanguard app. I look at my HSA and 401K 1x a week or around transaction time.
I have a spreadsheet and have been updating my numbers tracking my AA. I have justified doing this because I am a new DIY/BH'r and trying to unwind my portfolio from the FA I left in May 2017. I have mainly moved to a 3 fund model plus Vanguard Target funds in 401K and 403B. I also still have 2 separate low cost funds (Schwab US Stock and Vanguard ST Bond ) and Berk Hath (3% of port), all with decent CGs to consider.

When I had the FA and before mobile apps, I glanced at the monthly statements in the mail, unless I knew we were in the dumps (08-09) and then I left the envelopes unopened.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Every time you go to peek talk a walk instead. Buy a treadmill if you must. You break your bad habit and get healthy at the same time.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:55 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm
It's so much fun when the market goes up every day.
It's even more exciting when the market is going down - all those bargains to be had!
If you want to test your resolve, that is the time to do the peeking.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

metalworking

Post by metalworking » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Here you go. Follow this psychologist strategy as it is sure to help. It is a Bob Newhart skit called, "Stop it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arPCE3zDRg4