Help me stop my addiction to stock market peeping!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm

I am a new retiree and moved my retirement funds from a TSP account to a good brokerage firm with what I think is the appropriate AA. However, I cannot stop looking at the stock market and the movement in my retirement accounts on a daily basis. I can only image what people are like on crack with the need for a daily fix. I do not want to be one of those people. As a new retiree, what made you comfortable enough to just look at your account periodically? I do not want to stress myself out any longer. :-(

Alexa9

Re: Help me stop my addiction to stock market peeping!

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Set your accounts to auto invest, rebalance, and withdrawal. Check once a week (Sunday), then move to once a month (the 1st). Once a month is reasonable. If it's that bad, you can block certain websites from your browser. Pick up some hobbies! Put away the electronics.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 pm

95% of our retirement and personal assets are protected. I can only do macro decisions and only with the concurrence of spouse.
the remaining 5% is Discretionary. I micromanage this thus I do a lot of stock market peeping.
the other hobby that I have, avoiding being an invalid.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 pm
Set your accounts to auto invest, rebalance, and withdrawal. Check once a week (Sunday), then move to once a month (the 1st). Once a month is reasonable. If it's that bad, you can block certain websites from your browser. Pick up some hobbies! Put away the electronics.
I have rebalance and withdrawals on automatic. I do have a hobby. I do not have a death grip on my electronics. I have the jitters but will try your Sunday schedule staring now. T minus 4 Days. Thanks!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Go to the Boglehead Wiki. Learn more.
Refine and solidify your IPS statement. If it is rock solid, there's no need to listen to the "noise".
The danger is reacting and then "doing something" to your portfolio that is not well thought out which costs $$$$$.

j :D

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 pm

I know Mr. Bogle's wisdom is "don't peek". But I think that is to prevent one from making poor decisions based on what you see.

It is easy to look frequently, especially when the market is going up. Once the market heads down I think it becomes easier not to look so frequently.

Since my investments are pretty much an approximation of a 3 fund portfolio I can estimate gains and losses in my head from seeing the days closing benchmark values. I'm confident that regardless of up or down I won't be doing anything differently. I just enjoy the ride.

Congrats on your recent retirement. I retired in October and have been told by many retirees it takes 9 months to a year until you really feel comfortable with the changes it brings. I think over time your addiction may lessen as you develop more interests to fill your free time.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm

You could try a schedule, or you could try to indulge by following the markets very closely. Stay up late and watch Bloomberg if you get that channel. Watch CNBC in the daytime. Read all the posts you can on this board. Then you'll probably get bored with it all soon enough and move on. Just don't do anything dumb in the meantime.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 am

saltycaper wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm
You could try a schedule, or you could try to indulge by following the markets very closely. Stay up late and watch Bloomberg if you get that channel. Watch CNBC in the daytime. Read all the posts you can on this board. Then you'll probably get bored with it all soon enough and move on. Just don't do anything dumb in the meantime.
LOL! I have pretty much have read all the posts on this forum... my second addiction! :happy A lot of great information. From your mouth to God’s ears, I hope I will get bored before doing something truly dumb. :thumbsup

Post by 123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:36 am

I am making a transition to a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund to see how it works for me. One of the things I've noticed is that I'm less interested in the specific movements of the component funds like I was before when I held them individually. If you hold a fund-of-funds and it matches your asset allocation there are fewer "bumps in the road" since you don't necessarily focus on the components but the end result.

If you hold a three (or more) fund portfolio it's unlikely that at least one of the 3 components will not "go down" on any particular day, that's one of the reason for the diversification. Price movement in a fund-of-funds is more muted.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Acepilot

Post by Acepilot » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 am

We are starting 3rd year of retirement. I found myself in similar situation and consider it the newness of living off savings and the dependency on what you have saved. I think it’s OK to still watch, but keep trying to ween yourself off. When the market is down I do limit checking balances since it just adds to the problem.

msk

Post by msk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am

SimplicityNow wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 pm
It is easy to look frequently, especially when the market is going up. Once the market heads down I think it becomes easier not to look so frequently.
+1
It's GREAT to look twice daily while the market is going up. Two doses of cheer daily :greedy The time to NOT look is when the market slides down, way down. Terrible to have two doses of misery a day. Once a week, or once a month is ample. Enjoy the good times while they last :mrgreen:

GLState

Post by GLState » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am

msk wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am
SimplicityNow wrote:
+1
It's GREAT to look twice daily while the market is going up. Two doses of cheer daily :greedy The time to NOT look is when the market slides down, way down. Terrible to have two doses of misery a day. Once a week, or once a month is ample. Enjoy the good times while they last :mrgreen:
I believe it is just as bad to pay too much attention to portfolios when the market is going up as when its going down. Euphoria can lead to unwise spending. Over spending may not show up in your portfolio value, but does show up in net worth. In a down market, we wouldn't see so many posts about "play money" ,"dropping a few thousand in Bitcoin", and "Market is too high, time to get out?". "Stay the Course" applies to fair weather and foul.
Last edited by GLState on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am

Put a couple rubber bands on your wrist,
Every time you "peek".
Pull the rubber bands and let them "snap" on your wrist to produce a stinging effect.
It will aid you in "conditioning" your behavior
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 am

Not a retiree here, but have only been an "official" Boglehead for about 18 months now. After seeing the light, firing our FA, and managing everything myself I was definitely looking every day, however over time this has worn off. Now it's all rather boring (in a good way!)

Once you are comfortable with your plan you will find that you can relax and let things run along. I do check my monthly statements, and I also go online after each transaction occurs to verify (you really have to watch Vanguard as they are prone to errors.) But apart from that I ignore it.

Good luck! :sharebeer

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 am

Lock yourself out of the online account and only read the quarterly statements delivered via US mail.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 am

msk wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am
SimplicityNow wrote:
+1
The issue is when the markets and particularly my accounts are down I look at them more than when the market/accounts are up. I try to ferret out and analyze the offending fund(s). Currently, the offender is SCHH. :(

T 3 to Sunday peeping.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 am

BogleBoogie wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 am
Lock yourself out of the online account and only read the quarterly statements delivered via US mail.
LOL! This will never happen!

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am

Toons wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 am
Every time you "peek".
Pull the rubber bands and let them "snap" on your wrist to produce a stinging effect.
If plan “A” , looking every Sunday and writing a comprehensive ISP, doesn’t work I will make this plan “B”.

GLState

Post by GLState » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 am

I find Warren Buffett's Letters to Berkshire Hathaway Shareholders to be excellent material to relieve the stress of investing. His writings explain why we want to invest in risky assets. If you're interested in markets, spend time learning about them, rather than watching the day-to-day fluctuations.

One of the hazards of being a retiree is that we are now home when the market is open.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm
with what I think is the appropriate AA.

I do not want to stress myself out any longer.
I think these two statements are at odds with each other. If you're getting stressed out by looking at your investments - especially in an upward market - that would signal to me that your asset allocation is not correct.

I do peek a few times a week after the market has closed. It does not stress me out - I do not get ecstatic over paper gains, nor do I get upset over paper losses. This is one of the ways that I know my asset allocation is correct.

Those who choose to "not look" in an attempt to ignore the noise really just sound like they're in denial about their risk tolerance. After the bull has been running for a few years, a lot of investors always seem to find ways to justify more equities than they can handle.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 am

I, for one, see nothing wrong with peeping at investment and/or all other accounts. I have an app on my smartphone that gives me the % change in the ETF version of all my funds if and when I care to look. Bank accounts, credit cards and such I check several times a week for errors or possibly fraudulent activity. OTOH, everything is set to do what it needs to do automatically and when traveling I rarely look. I don't consider it much different than checking the daily news, which I also get daily except when traveling.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 am

If you have an obsessive personality, as I suspect many of us here do, it can create a compulsion to check performance often. As long as you make a strong commitment to avoid a panicked reaction you should be fine.

Others here have mentioned only checking when the markets are up, which is what I do, but then again I don't react, other than to smile or perhaps take my wife out to dinner on a very good day. On down days or weeks I reflect on our plan, and remind myself about how we are doing better than expected. I check more often when I'm close to a goal, which I am right now (four figures away). I would suggest concentrating less on performance and more on the theory of investing by doing the suggested reading here. Knowledge is power, more so in how it affects your investing philosophy than most anything else, especially after you're retired.

J295

Post by J295 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am

If you seriously want to change this get the book Power of Habit and change your habit. Words of wisdom alone won't do it.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 am

For years, I was on the check once a week plan.

Since last month when I gave my boss 6 months notice of my upcoming retirement, I seem to be checking more often.

I'm not sure how often I'll check after I retire.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am

123 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:36 am
I am making a transition to a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund to see how it works for me. One of the things I've noticed is that I'm less interested in the specific movements of the component funds like I was before when I held them individually. If you hold a fund-of-funds and it matches your asset allocation there are fewer "bumps in the road" since you don't necessarily focus on the components but the end result.

If you hold a three (or more) fund portfolio it's unlikely that at least one of the 3 components will not "go down" on any particular day, that's one of the reason for the diversification. Price movement in a fund-of-funds is more muted.
+1
This is the primary reason we incorporate balanced funds into our portfolio. DW is far more comfortable not seeing the "moving pieces fluctuate".
LifeStrategy Income Fund is one of them.

j. :D

Money Market

Post by Money Market » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 am

I used to check everyday until I just got sick of going to morningstar.com. It started off with curiosity and ended up as tedious work. So now, I generally do it once a week on Fridays at 4 PM, sometimes once every two weeks just to see what's been going on. I'm totally into finance and investing, so I spend more time reading and backtesting than looking at my own portfolio. Given that I've set an asset allocation I can sleep with, I generally don't care about the short-term direction of the market, and the -12% correction around late 2015 and early 2016 was a good "can you sleep well" test.

Most of the financial news you see in the most popular American news websites are utter complete garbage that serve no useful purpose. John Bogle put it most succinctly, Ignore the noise.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 am

Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".

:thumbsup
It has helped me break several bad habits
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

I suspect it is not the looking that you want to stop but the reaction to the looking. Describing what you wish to stop feeling rather than what you wish to stop doing could be helpful in devising a plan if you want to stop "doing." There are many things we do that make little or no pragmatic sense but have no significantly negative outcome. Some of those things make us the unique person we have become. It may make no "sense" to look at your portfolio daily if you are going to engage in a buy-and-hold approach, have done homework regarding risk tolerance, diversification, etc., but it may simply be unnecessary to change the behavior of looking daily unless it produces some type of difficulty for you. It has probably been quite enjoyable for many to look at their portfolio regularly over the past year, for example.

Tim

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Toons wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 am
Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".

It is a tried and true method. It should be a snap to help if OP will use it regularly.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 pm

I use to have this problem. It'll go away after awhile.

If your AA is right for you and you are a BHer, go cold turkey. I recommend a long cruise with unsecured internet service. You won't want to look.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm

I am in the same boat. Over the years I've world news and world politics, read financial news, and studied chart analysis, and even subscribed to paid "gurus" thinking I could time the market. Easily more than half the time I would have been better off just leaving things alone.

I give out the best advice to everyone else about not looking but I can't seem to do it myself. I also feel better when I don't look. I just can't seem to stay away. :(

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:24 pm

I have the same problem, it is so easy to check my vanguard acct on their app. It only takes a minute....

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 pm

You'll poke your eye out! :shock:
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:48 pm

I have been retired for about a year. At first I spent a lot of time figuring out Medicare, pensions, SS and taxes. A simultaneous project was to fix up my house to sell. I decided to stay. Then I fixed up the garden. By the end of the day, I was so exhausted, I couldn't care about anything else. Recently I discovered Medicare had increased the IRMAA, so I spend time rolling over my 401K, allocating funds, and working out taxes. I have pensions and SS that cover my expenses and some wants and I realized I'm OK after looking closely at my budget.

I've enrolled myself for classes in Spanish and photography at a community college. I find out Photoshop is more complex than I thought and then I realized I had to do more revision of Spanish verbs than I thought I'd have to. So now I'm so busy with my studies that I didn't even look at the market until I saw your post.

It takes time to figure out retirement. Give yourself time.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

I look all the time if I am on the computer. It does not matter because I don't do anything about it. Just rebalance in January. Done last week.

I have my money in 3 different places so I will look at one or the other but not all in the same day.

I think this is only a problem if you are scarred that you will make a change.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".
If this doesn't work by itself, add a shot of bourbon to each snap. By early afternoon, you won't remember your passwords.

facepalm

Post by facepalm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:07 pm

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
I am a new retiree and moved my retirement funds from a TSP account to a good brokerage firm with what I think is the appropriate AA. However, I cannot stop looking at the stock market and the movement in my retirement accounts on a daily basis. I can only image what people are like on crack with the need for a daily fix. I do not want to be one of those people. As a new retiree, what made you comfortable enough to just look at your account periodically? I do not want to stress myself out any longer. :-(
I had the same issue, and ended up removing all my brokerage apps plus the Personal Capital app from my phone, which keeps it to a minimum. I also do not check at work. It might just be easier to stay away from the computer.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 pm

I checked them every day, patted myself on the back, smiled, etc... back about 1998 and then that stopped pretty quick. It's a lot more fun when the market is going up. Becomes much less fun when going down. Heck about 2008-2009 I just stopped opening the brokerage statements when they came in the mail. Lol.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm

I check what the market is doing frequently. Multiple times per day. I do it only because I am curious. The only action I take is to rebalance if/when a rebalance band is hit, which seldom occurs. Otherwise I take no action at all. So, I do not consider it to be a problem. I am not euphoric when it is up, and I shrug when it is down.

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 pm

jadd806 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am
ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
with what I think is the appropriate AA.

I do not want to stress myself out any longer.
I think these two statements are at odds with each other. If you're getting stressed out by looking at your investments - especially in an upward market - that would signal to me that your asset allocation is not correct.

I do peek a few times a week after the market has closed. It does not stress me out - I do not get ecstatic over paper gains, nor do I get upset over paper losses. This is one of the ways that I know my asset allocation is correct.

Those who choose to "not look" in an attempt to ignore the noise really just sound like they're in denial about their risk tolerance. After the bull has been running for a few years, a lot of investors always seem to find ways to justify more equities than they can handle.
I think you may have nailed the issue. While I “think” my AA is correct with sufficient diversification, I need to see it play out to validate my AA is correct (e.g. see the results). I have to admit I need to read more about how the market moves. I have purchased several books and need to sit down and read them.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 pm

I check the market and relevant holdings and see how they did for the day % wise but don't check balances. I like to know what's going on in the world of finance.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Toons wrote:
Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".

For greater effect, apply to other body parts and "snap" and "sting" accordingly. :shock:

Actionably: this speaks to the value of balanced funds such as Wellesley, Wellington, Balanced Index, Life Strategy Funds, etc. "Set and Forget Funds".
Not much to peek at. Like watching paint dry.
j :D

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks to all. What I have learned -

1. Make sure my AA is absolutely correct and just chill.
2. Make sure my ISP is comprehensive.
3. Read. Read. Read and learn more about investing, financial planning, and the market.
4. Stock up on a lot of rubber bands.
5. Peep only once a week.
6. Make zero changes regardless of the noise.
7. Just enjoy retirement responsibly using the 4% rule.
8. Keep visiting this site daily. :wink:

I’ve got this! 8-)

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 pm

I was recently checking "the market" multiple times a day; then I had to get a new phone; I have not reinstalled the yahoo finance app. As a result, I have not looked in a few weeks and it feels good :). My long-term goal is to check and possibly rebalance every 6 months moving forward.

I check bogleheads forum often, so if something severe is happening in the markets that I need to be alerted of, then I'm sure I'll see a thread. Most likely Lbill's freefall thread :)
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 am

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 pm
Thanks to all. What I have learned -

1. Make sure my AA is absolutely correct and just chill.
2. Make sure my ISP is comprehensive.
3. Read. Read. Read and learn more about investing, financial planning, and the market.
4. Stock up on a lot of rubber bands.
5. Peep only once a week.
6. Make zero changes regardless of the noise.
7. Just enjoy retirement responsibly using the 4% rule.
8. Keep visiting this site daily. :wink:

I’ve got this! 8-)
Report back in a month and tell us if it worked.

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 pm
Toons wrote:
Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".

It is a tried and true method. It should be a snap to help if OP will use it regularly.
I see what you did there...

celia

Post by celia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:35 am

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
I do not want to stress myself out any longer. :-(
Since this is stressing you out, I will guess that your Asset Allocation is not correct. You may have too much of your assets in stocks, which makes the value of your holdings very volatile.

If you sleep well at night (not worried about money) and are experienced enough to know about handling your finances (budgeting, savings, investing, retirement fund withdrawals), then you probably have a good AA for yourself. The ratio is different for everyone and some of us can take more risk since we have more assets or have other fixed income sources.

If you would like a review of your portfolio, which I recommend, and are willing to post it here, please start a new thread and follow this outline:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

For many people, it is a lot of work to put things in the recommended format, but you may see things differently after you format things this way. This is the standard format we are familiar with (so we don't have to look all over for your information).

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 am
ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Report back in a month and tell us if it worked.
Will Do!

Oversoul

Post by Oversoul » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am

ColoRetiredGirl wrote:
You'd be surprised just how many BH's are logged in to the financials at any given moment.
There's really nothing wrong with watching your money.......if you don't, who really will?
But if you are truly stressed over the practice then yes, I agree, take steps to get away enough that your blood pressure returns to normal.
But I suspect, you won't be able to do that for long if you're like the majority of people who personally like to keep tabs on their financial future.
Good luck in whatever you do but if you do peek every day, relax in knowing you're not acting like a crack addict. You're very normal.
May you live as long as you want....and never want, as long as you live.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am

Toons wrote:
Every time you "peek".
http://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/t ... certainty/