iBond Annual Allocation question...

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
WolfgangPauli

iBond Annual Allocation question...

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi,

Anyone jumping in tomorrow now that your total amount resets and the current bonds pay .1% over CPI? Also, I have not heard of them changing it but the iBond still pays off of CPI-U? I know in the new tax law they changed the way many government benefits are figured as they are figured off of C-CPI-U (Chained CPI) which is almost always a lower number.

Thoughts?
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: iBond Annual Allocation question...

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 pm
Hi,

Anyone jumping in tomorrow now that your total amount resets and the current bonds pay .1% over CPI? Also, I have not heard of them changing it but the iBond still pays off of CPI-U? I know in the new tax law they changed the way many government benefits are figured as they are figured off of C-CPI-U (Chained CPI) which is almost always a lower number.

Thoughts?
What does Treasury Direct say?
Why give up cash on January 2nd? You can purchase a few days before January 31st and still earn the entire months worth of interest.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:32 pm

Treasury direct still says CPI-U however that is so lagging in its updates I never know to trust it.

Good point on the wait until the end of month.. not a ton of money but I suppose money is money.

Thanks
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:37 pm

Haven't bought ibonds in a while...