Check your HSA at Optum--software glitch

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
investor4life

Check your HSA at Optum--software glitch

Post by investor4life » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Read on if you have an HSA administered by Optum.

On Dec. 25 I initiated a transfer of $X from my HSA cash account to my HSA Investment account. The amount X was chosen so that after the transfer there would be sufficient funds left in my cash account for any near-term expenses.

This morning I logged into my HSA account to be confronted with a negative balance in the cash account! This negative amount is exactly what would be left if the amount X had been debited twice. I've been with Optum on the phone all morning and they finally concede that it is a software glitch! Basically, they are unable to account for X (which is several thousand dollars) missing from my account! (The account rep. actually used the words "Sorry, this seems to be a huge issue here.") My request was escalated to a supervisor who also acknowledged that this was "a coding issue and many other accounts have been affected also". They've promised to fix this "soon", but I'm not holding my breath. I'll keep after them and update as I find out more.

If you have an Optum-administered HSA and did any recent transactions on it, you may want to check your account carefully.

Bacchus01

Re: Check your HSA at Optum--software glitch

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I do and I will.

exigent

Post by exigent » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:24 pm

My employer uses Optum, and they had an where last months contributions were being withheld, but they weren't showing up in the HSA. It ultimately got straightened, but it took a few weeks.

NonnyGoGo

Post by NonnyGoGo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:41 pm

I've experienced this. It was a much smaller amount involved so I don't remember the details but I remember the appearance of being debited twice. It's a system glitch that's self correcting. Log in again tomorrow and you should see the correct balances.