Is it me or does everything seem expensive?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
uberational44

Is it me or does everything seem expensive?

Post by uberational44 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:48 pm

I am an index investor, with a tendency towards value investing and some trading..

It seems to me that everything seems expensive at the moment - housing, stocks, bonds

Granted I am not a professional investor, but when I look around everything seems overvalued...

I was reading a macro hedge fund investor letter that said that the client cash numbers were at a 25 year-low

I could make a move out of stocks with minimal taxation, I would!
Marketeer investing as a hobby. Interested in modern takes on value investing, passive investing and general contrarianism.

livesoft

Re: Is it me or does everything seem expensive?

Post by livesoft » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:54 pm

I think it is just you.

We have been having a discussion on how REITs have gone nowhere in 2017. Bond funds haven't done much either. Small-cap value index funds are taking a breather to let all other asset classes catch up with them after their stellar late 2016 jump.

Food is cheap. Gas is cheap. Housing has gone down in my area, so even my property taxes are less than in the past. Airfares seem to be ridiculously low, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Mudflaps

Post by Mudflaps » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Housing is expensive, but this varies per region. My friends are seeing equity in their homes and eager to cash out and move into bigger. I have tried to tell them they are buying right back into the same inflated market they sold in.

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:58 pm

All securities' valuation has two components. They are the current asset valuation, and future expectations. It could be that your future expectations are lower than the market's collective estimates.

However, it is also useful to point out that the market does not care about one individual person's estimation. Only the collective opinions matter.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Investments seem richly valued.

But selling and going to cash is an even worse idea.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Nobody knows nothin.

41 posts and you don't seem to "get" the Boglehead style of investing. That is OK. You don't have to get it, you just have to outsmart yourself.

Is it an oxymoron to be an index investor with a tendency for trading? The part I never get about value investing is who knows that is value? That one is growth, that one is value. Hmm.

Three large stock funds:

A: $192.00
B: $34.00
C: 88.00

Which one is expensive? I have no idea. New highs are set multiple times per year.

Maybe you can't be both an index investor and a trader shopping for value. Maybe you can. I don't know anything. :wink:
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 pm

A lot of gurus seems to be counseling lower expectations of future returns for both stocks and bonds. I don't know if that's the same thing as saying they are "expensive."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Not just you.
Everything seems expensive the older one gets because there's more that's relative to the past.

Not all that long ago.
Vanguard 500 index fund (1968) $12/share. (Today. . .$249/share)

Back when?
Cigarettes 25 cents.
Gas 40 cents/gal.
Average new house $25,000

j :D

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:41 pm

With today's bank cash savings rates keeping money out of the market seems very expensive.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Stop reading hedge fund publications. Problem solved.

JT

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:48 pm

There are pockets of value, but you have to be able to hold your nose and take the plunge.
If you can not, then purchasing an index is the next best thing.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Household help definitely seems expensive.

I can't pick up day laborers from Home Depot for less than $25/hour. People who can clean the house want the same. Found someone to help me put together ikea bookshelves for $20/hour.

So much for $10/hr minimum wage.

AnalogKid22

Post by AnalogKid22 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Watch the DOW hit 26,000 next year and everything now will seem incredibly cheap.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:01 pm

"Seems" is the key word.

If there is a buyer for every seller at these prices, then things are likely valued properly.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Even if forward looking valuations are high, these new ratios might be justified by the current state of the world. There are far fewer global "wild cards" that could jeopardize earnings. Economies in every continent, even if not thriving, are growing; the EU, Brazil, East Asia, and the US are all well into recoveries and 2%+ growth. Large emerging economies like China are more organized, frictionless, and are far from political upheaval compared to in the past. On top of that, liquidity, information efficiency, and market transparency are ever increasing. This is important as it increases the ability for the market to form accurate valuations, and in theory, should reduce volatility (already apparent lately) and decrease the risk premium in discounting cash flows.

Where residential real estate is concerned, I think the markets in high cost areas still need to adjust to the reality that the loss of SALT will reduce fundamental values by 5%-10%. However, outside of that, I can't argue with the factors that have made these markets more expensive over the past 1-2 decades: lower crime, economic booms, increasing populations, and migration to urban areas.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:42 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Is it an oxymoron to be an index investor with a tendency for trading? The part I never get about value investing is who knows that is value? That one is growth, that one is value. Hmm.

Three large stock funds:

A: $192.00
B: $34.00
C: 88.00

Which one is expensive? I have no idea. New highs are set multiple times per year.

Maybe you can't be both an index investor and a trader shopping for value. Maybe you can. I don't know anything. :wink:
For stocks you can apply a sort on a value metric you like, e.g. p/b. Then pick the bottom 25% and call that value and the top 25% and call that growth.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:43 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:51 pm

I can't pick up day laborers from Home Depot for less than $25/hour. People who can clean the house want the same. Found someone to help me put together ikea bookshelves for $20/hour.

Independent contractors can and should charge more than someone being paid on W2, even at the bottom of the wage scale.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:47 pm

My dad was startled to learn that you can't buy a house in a MCOL area for $80k anymore, and took up cutting his own hair when he could no longer find someone to do it for $5. One reason things seem expensive as you age is that, like taste in music, your sense of what things should cost gets "sticky" during your 20s & 30s. As you get older inflation has longer to work and you can remember a longer period of time when things were cheaper.

As for stocks, most of us can remember the lows of 2008/9. We've had a pretty stunning run-up since then. But unless you're just back from the future, you don't know much about whether they're expensive or cheap, and nothing at all about how long they can keep getting more expensive.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:53 pm

How old are you? My grandma wouldn't spend more than 5 dollars on a pair of pants because her mental set point was about 1940.

sambb

Post by sambb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:55 pm

last year at this time, emerging markets looked cheap - and weve seen a nice runup. I like looking at the callan tables, as it puts things in perspective!

asif408

Post by asif408 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 pm

It's just you. A number of countries around the world (think Eastern Europe and parts of Western Europe, Brazil, etc) all had multi year bear markets from 2011 until early 2016. They are all good stock market bargains right now for a longer term investor. Now some of these markets (e.g., Russia) could go to 0, but at least you can buy them at a bargain. Energy is a bargain, too, and precious metals aren't too bad either. Just have to have the fortitude to put a lot of money outside the US stock market for a number of years.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:09 pm

unclescrooge wrote:

The minimum wage is only the minimum you are forced to pay, not the minimum others must accept. That's the labor market at work.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Dad, who was raised during the Depression, had a saying - "that nickel Coke will be the death of me yet." Everything was expensive to him.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

uberational44

Post by uberational44 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 pm

RadAudit wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm
Dad, who was raised during the Depression, had a saying - "that nickel Coke will be the death of me yet." Everything was expensive to him.
haha, that hilarious. I would imagine that growing up in the depression would create steadfast personal finance habits!

I'm 25, so not that old...

In terms of price, I meant assets and not necessarily goods. Housing is very expensive globally I feel. A family friend is a senior manager in red bull. He said that managers from almost every region said that high cost of housing was the biggest problem in recruiting staff to red bull in global cities. I only have knowledge of the Irish property market, but it's a disaster here. We had a crash and the building more or less ceased for five years. Now it looks like we'll never tackle the lack of supply..

Livesoft said something about REITs going nowhere in 2017. It would be interesting to see how much commercial real estate made up the vanguard index and the indexes weight relative to different countries..

Also, don't think I could give up reading hedge fund letters, even if the majority do not outperform the index!
Last edited by uberational44 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marketeer investing as a hobby. Interested in modern takes on value investing, passive investing and general contrarianism.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Food is cheap. Gas is cheap. Housing has gone down in my area, so even my property taxes are less than in the past. Airfares seem to be ridiculously low, too.
Just the opposite for the first three, in our area.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Ha. I thought this thread was going to be about goods and services. Those sure do seem expensive to me, even with our nominally low inflation.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

srt7

Post by srt7 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:37 pm
Not just you.
Everything seems expensive the older one gets because there's more that's relative to the past.

Not all that long ago.
Vanguard 500 index fund (1968) $12/share. (Today. . .$249/share)

Back when?
Cigarettes 25 cents.
Gas 40 cents/gal.
Average new house $25,000

j :D
Never thought of it that way but it definitely makes sense. :sharebeer
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:39 am

I remember my mom refusing to pay $20 for a pair of jeans, since it was "way too much"...

It's hard to keep your perspective current with inflation.

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:04 pm

This seems like a good thread to post the lyrics to a song written in 1929 by BLIND ALFRED REED.

"How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live?"

There once was a time when everything was cheap,
But now prices nearly puts a man to sleep.
When we pay our grocery bill,
We just feel like making our will --
Tell me how can a poor man stand such times and live?

I remember when dry goods were cheap as dirt,
We could take two bits and buy a dandy shirt.
Now we pay three bucks or more,
Maybe get a shirt that another man wore --

Well, I used to trade with a man by the name of Gray,
Flour was fifty cents for a twenty-four pound bag.
Now it's a dollar and a half beside,
Just like a-skinning off a flea for the hide --

Oh, the schools we have today ain't worth a cent,
But they see to it that every child is sent.
If we don't send everyday,
We have a heavy fine to pay --

Prohibition's good if 'tis conducted right,
There's no sense in shooting a man 'til he shows flight.
Officers kill without a cause,
They complain about funny laws --

Most all preachers preach for gold and not for souls,
That's what keeps a poor man always in a hole.
We can hardly get our breath,
Taxed and schooled and preached to death --

Oh, it's time for every man to be awake,
We pay fifty cents a pound when we ask for steak.
When we get our package home,
A little wad of paper with gristle and a bone --

Well, the doctor comes around with a face all bright,
And he says in a little while you'll be all right.
All he gives is a humbug pill,
A dose of dope and a great big bill --

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Housing- housing is experiencing uneven price changes. If you live in an area with good jobs and a favorable climate you may be seeing gains that are greater than typical but much of the country is not experiencing that. The average mortgage is still about $400 a month less than 2006 in inflation adjusted dollars but it was up 11% in 2017 over 2016 (source: Core Logic). We are seeing the same bifurcation in the housing markets as in income and net worth. The rich are getting richer and the working class and poor losing ground. In 1980, the top 1% gained about 11% of total income in the US and in 2016 it was 20%. The bottom 50% went from about 21% of total income to about 13% in 2016 (Wash Post). That has substantial impacts on the housing market. The conversion of starter homes to rentals purchased by investors has kept the market for modest homes alive in many areas but that comes with social consequences.

In short, I don't see a "bubble" in housing nationally. There are portions of the country where one might argue that prices are soft.

Stocks- equities seem to have priced in the effect of corporate tax cuts in 2017 and those cuts are now in place. The effect of those changes to valuation will take some time to determine as corporations had existing elaborate schemes to avoid taxes. Maybe the effect will lower PE ratios, not within my understanding. Stocks seem expensive to me but not because I remember buying 20 cent a gallon gas but rather because dividends and earnings are not holding a traditional relationship to price. That is a concern for me but I do not have a better idea than riding it out. My personal record of selling high and buying low is clearly poor.

Bonds- the small steady increases in rates seems likely to continue, meaning that we will not see good returns from interest in the near term and bond mutual funds NAVs are not likely to grow significantly.

Pretend like you can move without tax consequences and create an account with yahoo or one of the trackers and pretend to invest your funds. See what happens over time. Maybe you are the one that can pick highs and lows...
uberational44 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:48 pm
I am an index investor, with a tendency towards value investing and some trading..

It seems to me that everything seems expensive at the moment - housing, stocks, bonds

I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:28 pm

As far as things being expensive...we are on our way out the door to buy a brand new 2018 Mazda 3 for less than we paid for our daughter's 2012 Mazda 3 bought brand new 5 years ago.
Crazy.

david1082b

Post by david1082b » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:30 pm

This Marketwatch article agrees that everything is overvalued: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-n ... 2013-05-10

Problem is it was published in May 2013. It includes an astonishingly wrong statement about Shiller PE, where it blatantly misleads the reader by saying CAPE had never been high except right before 1929, 2000 and 2008. 1997 was apparently "just before the 2000 crash". The entire massive runup from 97 to 2000 never actually happened then. So fears about valuations are always there. I remember articles from summer of 2009 saying stocks had gone up "far too far, far too fast" due to the post-crash rally.

minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm

It's probably just you.

I've learned that is is best to ignore my instincts and just buy when new funds become available.

The only thing that would make me think twice would be the general public showing great enthusiasm once again.

In the UK, it seems like nobody else I know invests in equities.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:54 pm

1946 5 cents bus fare to downtown,25 cents movie, 10 cents popcorn, 5 cents Coke and candy bar.

My first car....1947 Ford convertible purchased in 1953...$179.00

My first new auto....1969 Dodge Dart $1949.39

My first new constructed house, (1962),3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, family room, dining room, washer drier, fridge and other appliances. 3/4 acre lot, Pennsylvania $15,600

Gasoline 1954 17 cents per gallon (Florida); 1972 39 cents per gallon (Indiana)

New house 1972, 4 bedrooms, 2100 sq ft., half acre lot, $36,000 (still live here)

Wellington Fund (before Vanguard) $15.16 per share (1965)

Birth, total hospital cost $165, Obstetrician $56.40 (1964)

Yes, that makes everything look expensive
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

vk_217

Post by vk_217 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm

TonyDAntonio wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:28 pm
As far as things being expensive...we are on our way out the door to buy a brand new 2018 Mazda 3 for less than we paid for our daughter's 2012 Mazda 3 bought brand new 5 years ago.
Crazy.
FYI-Mazda is introducing SkyActive-X engine in 2019 that has an 15% improved fuel efficiency compared to the current engines.Also 2019 Mazda 3 will have a complete new redesign based on the KAI concept.Search youtube for SkyActive-X and Kai Concept.
I came, I saw, I'm leaving.

tarmangani

Post by tarmangani » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm

unclescrooge wrote:

Why would someone take minimum wage for a specialized task? And don't say it's not specialized--you couldn't do it. Or you're lazy. That's not meant to be insulting; I'm both lazy and incompetent. I'm willing, though, to pay up. For work that I cannot or won't do, $25/hour in (basically) 2018 seems fair to me.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Housing prices in Nashville TN are skyrocketing (along with the population and associated traffic issues).

hiddensee

Post by hiddensee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Gold is only about 2/3 what it was at peak, and has flatlined for a few years.

People only get excited about gold when it is expensive.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 pm
A lot of gurus seems to be counseling lower expectations of future returns for both stocks and bonds. I don't know if that's the same thing as saying they are "expensive."
Yep, the very same thing.
A fool and his money are good for business.

MnD

Post by MnD » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:50 pm

King crab legs (premium 9/12 grade roughly 1 pound per leg) were $23 a pound at Costco today during the holiday seafood road show.
For several years during and after the great recession they were $13 and I think recession "bottom" price was $11/pound although those were golden variety. But that's telling that Costco didn't even try and sell the largest variety of king crab at the recession bottom.

Have been going up at least a couple dollars per pound per year last several years. Costco's commital to display case for king crab and other premium seafood were about 4X larger capacity now than great recession years too.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 pm

tarmangani wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm
unclescrooge wrote:

Why would someone take minimum wage for a specialized task? And don't say it's not specialized--you couldn't do it. Or you're lazy. That's not meant to be insulting; I'm both lazy and incompetent. I'm willing, though, to pay up. For work that I cannot or won't do, $25/hour in (basically) 2018 seems fair to me.
Picking up trash around the yard and putting it in a dumpster, and holding a piece of wood while I use an electric screwdriver isn't exactly a specialized skill.

TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 pm

vk_217 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm
TonyDAntonio wrote:
Crazy.
FYI-Mazda is introducing SkyActive-X engine in 2019 that has an 15% improved fuel efficiency compared to the current engines.Also 2019 Mazda 3 will have a complete new redesign based on the KAI concept.Search youtube for SkyActive-X and Kai Concept.
I'll check it out. Thanks. I still don't quite get how I got my 2018 Mazda today for almost $2000 less than the new one I got in 2012. $18,100 for a brand new 2018 Mazda 3, in the SF Bay area, out the door. The business guy at the dealership said it was just end of the year timing luck.

skor99

Post by skor99 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 am

For the people saying everything is cheap, they probably don’t have kids in college and they do not have to purchase medical insurance. People are spending thousands or even tens of thousands more per year than they did just 10 years ago on these items.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:54 am

"All the investing options in America are too expensive!"

"Then why don't you invest outside of America?"

"But but I have all these REASONS that are definitely not just home bias so instead I will whinge on Bogleheads."

John Doe 123

Post by John Doe 123 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:50 am

unclescrooge wrote:

“We sure are paying some of our employees a lot of money.”

“Can’t get around the old minimum wage, Mortimer.”

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:11 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 pm
tarmangani wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm
unclescrooge wrote:

Picking up trash around the yard and putting it in a dumpster, and holding a piece of wood while I use an electric screwdriver isn't exactly a specialized skill.
I had to laugh at your username. ;)

If you pickup a day laborer from Home Depot, they are probably used to doing very difficult work, so they will quote you for that. They have no idea what’s really I store for them. If you built up a relationship with someone I bet you could get it cheaper if you only have light work to do.

For $10/hour I’d rather work at Starbucks than do heavy manual labor.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Thrift Shop

Post by Thrift Shop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 am

TonyDAntonio wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 pm
vk_217 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 pm
TonyDAntonio wrote:
Crazy.
I'll check it out. Thanks. I still don't quite get how I got my 2018 Mazda today for almost $2000 less than the new one I got in 2012. $18,100 for a brand new 2018 Mazda 3, in the SF Bay area, out the door. The business guy at the dealership said it was just end of the year timing luck.
Just a guess, but In 2012 sedans were probably in higher demand. The average price of a gallon of gas back then was $3.60.

Now with cheaper gas in 2017, and a better economy overall, SUV's are more popular.

You made a good contrarian play by buying a sedan right now. I noticed similar pricing on other sedans as well.

betablocker

Post by betablocker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 am

uberational44 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Granted I am not a professional investor, but when I look around everything seems overvalued...

I was reading a macro hedge fund investor letter that said that the client cash numbers were at a 25 year-low

I’d argue that emerging markets are cheap, foreign developed is moderately priced and commodities are cheap.