Is this dividend correctly reported by the mutual fund ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
math22

Is this dividend correctly reported by the mutual fund ?

Post by math22 »

I own FSTVX (fidelity total market) and it is reporting $2K in non-qualified dividends.
90% of my current position in the fund I have held for more than a year. I bought another 10% a month ago.

Should 90% of the 2K dividend be reported as qualified and 10% as non-qualified? Or is it all non-qualified?

Does fidelity take care of this for me or do I need to fix this when filling my taxes?
livesoft

Re: Is this dividend correctly reported by the mutual fund ?

Post by livesoft »

Two things:

1. You might read the package insert that comes with your 1099-DIV when you get it. Here is such a brochure from Vanguard: https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/1099DIV_012016.pdf which has useful information.

2. See this thread from the past couple of hours: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=234750

And I will add a bonus 3rd thing for holders of International funds that pay foreign taxes:

3. The 1099-DIV for international funds will show a larger dividend than was paid into your account. That's because you only got the money leftover after paying foreign taxes. So in taxable accounts, you will have higher income than what you thought you knew about. Plan ahead for that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lstone19

Re: Is this dividend correctly reported by the mutual fund ?

Post by lstone19 »

Fidelity shows all dividends (excluding LTCG) as non-qualified initially. At the end of the year, the funds will determine how much of the dividends was qualified and Fidelity will adjust things before 1099-DIVs are issued. I too am invested in FSTVX and last year, 94.9% of the December dividend ended up being qualified.