Japan. iShares gone. Replacements ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
TetsuoIII

Japan. iShares gone. Replacements ?

Post by TetsuoIII » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Greetings.

Im American and set up a NISA account at SMBC based on research here and the main page on Investing in Japan.
I went to re-balance my funds and was not able to purchase. I went down to the SMBC Nikko office to ask why and they
told me that iShares funds are being removed from Japanese stock exchange. 1363 and 1581 . Sell now or they are forced
sales in January.

If Im looking for other US domiciled ETFs, not really sure where to start researching that. SMBC staff were at a loss too.

SMBC does not carry Vanguard.

Thanks

chicagoan23

Re: Japan. iShares gone. Replacements ?

Post by chicagoan23 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:39 pm

I own VPL (Vanguard FTSE Pacific ETF) and have been happy with it. It has about 60% Japanese stocks

bpp

Re: Japan. iShares gone. Replacements ?

Post by bpp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:20 pm

TetsuoIII wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 pm
Greetings.

Im American and set up a NISA account at SMBC based on research here and the main page on Investing in Japan.
I went to re-balance my funds and was not able to purchase. I went down to the SMBC Nikko office to ask why and they
told me that iShares funds are being removed from Japanese stock exchange. 1363 and 1581 . Sell now or they are forced
sales in January.

If Im looking for other US domiciled ETFs, not really sure where to start researching that. SMBC staff were at a loss too.

SMBC does not carry Vanguard.

Thanks
SMBC does carry Vanguard ETFs now, but not in a form that can be used in a NISA (I think, might be worth checking eligibility): http://www.smbcnikko.co.jp/products/sto ... index.html

Edit to add: Indeed, they don't seem to be on the NISA eligibility list: http://faq.smbcnikko.co.jp/smbcnikko/we ... 07&baID=13

For US domiciled ETFs trading on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and hence eligible for NISA at SMBC, I think SPY (1557) is about the only one that will remain listed.

This is all a bit of a disaster for American investors in Japan, I have to say. Will have to update the Japan wiki page.