Opening HSA for wife

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
eltron

Opening HSA for wife

Post by eltron »

I currently have my HSA with Saturna as I'm utilizing this HSA as a buy and hold and use it down the road as an additional IRA.

I've talked with my accountant and discussed with him about taking myself off our HDHP to save us about $400-$500/month and putting myself on a Christian Healthcare Ministries plan.

My wife and daughter will still be on the HDHP and, as I understand it, that is enough to count towards the family max of $6750.

Since I am no longer on the HDHP, I cannot contribute to my Saturna HSA. It will obviously incur the yearly 'dormant' fee, but that fee would be greatly offset by the premiums I don't be paying every month.

My next step is setting my wife up with an HSA since she is the new owner of the HDHP. I would prefer to stick with Saturna since, as far as I know, it's the best buy and hold investment HSA out there. But I really don't want to go through all that paperwork again. And coming close to the end of the year I want to make sure it's open and ready to contribute to come 2018. Setting something up online would be more preferred.

I read on here and cannot remember the name of a new HSA company that was similar to Saturna in minimal fees (Saturna might've been a little cheaper, but it was not a big difference) and the ability to set up your account in 10-15 mins. All application stuff was online.

Can anyone remind of of what that company was, or if they have any better suggestions, I'm open for anything.

Just trying to get our premiums to be a bit more palatable while retaining the ability to contribute to an HSA.

Thanks.
AnonJohn

Re: Opening HSA for wife

Post by AnonJohn »

I think Lively is the company you're thinking of. They've surfaced in several threads and other members have reported being happy (based on 1-2 months experience).
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

eltron wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm
My next step is setting my wife up with an HSA since she is the new owner of the HDHP. I would prefer to stick with Saturna since, as far as I know, it's the best buy and hold investment HSA out there. But I really don't want to go through all that paperwork again. And coming close to the end of the year I want to make sure it's open and ready to contribute to come 2018. Setting something up online would be more preferred.

I read on here and cannot remember the name of a new HSA company that was similar to Saturna in minimal fees (Saturna might've been a little cheaper, but it was not a big difference) and the ability to set up your account in 10-15 mins. All application stuff was online.

Can anyone remind of of what that company was, or if they have any better suggestions, I'm open for anything.

Just trying to get our premiums to be a bit more palatable while retaining the ability to contribute to an HSA.

Thanks.
It might have been The HSA Authority/Old National. I can't speak to the online, but the fees are cheap and it's got good investment options

The custom google search bar is really good for finding this stuff. For example:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207051
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

AnonJohn wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm I think Lively is the company you're thinking of. They've surfaced in several threads and other members have reported being happy (based on 1-2 months experience).
+1 I've been with Lively since early October, and I've been delighted. Setting it up took 5 minutes online. Customer service by email has been great. (I did call them once at the beginning to see if I could stop the debit card being sent, and they were friendly and helpful. But they couldn't stop their bank partner from sending a debit card automatically.)

I just emailed customer service this morning requesting a new transfer form for my workplace HSA custodian to transfer my Q4 deferrals, and I received a response within an hour.

The only Lively fee is $2.50/month deducted from a linked checking account (not from the precious HSA funds). You can transfer every penny to a linked TD Ameritrade account and buy from their commission-free ETF list.
Topic Author
eltron

Post by eltron »

AnonJohn wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm I think Lively is the company you're thinking of. They've surfaced in several threads and other members have reported being happy (based on 1-2 months experience).
That's it, thanks!
Topic Author
eltron

Post by eltron »

MI_bogle wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 pm
eltron wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks.
It might have been The HSA Authority/Old National. I can't speak to the online, but the fees are cheap and it's got good investment options

The custom google search bar is really good for finding this stuff. For example:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207051
Tried that, found that article, didn't find what I was looking for. Admittedly I didn't read all 4 pages as I'm kind of in a rush with this. Thanks though.