Office party secret santa, how to give the gift of investing?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
RDHlooking4FIRE

Office party secret santa, how to give the gift of investing?

Post by RDHlooking4FIRE » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am

How can you get somebody a share of a stock if they don't have a brokerage account? Other ways to give the gift of investing?

SEAworld9

Re: Office party secret santa, how to give the gift of investing?

Post by SEAworld9 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 pm

stockpile is probably going to be your best bet.

whiteprius

Post by whiteprius » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Does your company have a maximum gift amount? WHere I worked it was generally $20 or so.

RDHlooking4FIRE

Post by RDHlooking4FIRE » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 pm

whiteprius wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm
Does your company have a maximum gift amount? WHere I worked it was generally $20 or so.
No

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm

I suggest you do not this unless you know the person is interested in investing. Owning a share of stock can actually be a burden if you don't know what to do with it and don't really want it.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Sounds like a really bad idea to me unless the receipient is an investing geek. I agree it could be a burden unless it is a share of BRK-A. In that case, it would be a really great gift.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Yeah, don't. No one wants that.

I was going to buy my wife a share of Sanrio stock since she loves Hello Kitty (and hates personal finance) but the hassles were innumerable and the payoff uncertain.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Giving a share of stock is a bad idea since the cost for them to sell it could be more than it is worth especially if there is an account closing fee if they need to open and close an account just to sell it.

Even giving an investing book would not seem very appropriate for an office situation and it would likely not be read.

I would find something else.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Sounds about as much fun as a new toothbrush and floss. "Investing" is hard work, requires time and willingness to learn about it. You can't "gift" that, and one share of stock is a royal pain to own or sell....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

How about giving them BitCoin? It's all the rage, you can buy it under the dollar limit, doesn't have paper trail requirements, and it's something that someone who wouldn't buy on their own would probably happily accept. It can be delivered on a cheap USB drive, with the key provided with it, for physical delivery.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:44 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm
How about giving them BitCoin? It's all the rage, you can buy it under the dollar limit, doesn't have paper trail requirements, and it's something that someone who wouldn't buy on their own would probably happily accept. It can be delivered on a cheap USB drive, with the key provided with it, for physical delivery.
I'm pretty sure wolf is kidding, but please don't do that either, OP. The "gift" of investment advice can be interpreted as very patronizing in a work setting, especially (but not exclusively) if the recipient is beneath you in the chain of command. For work gifts, I tend to stick with gift certificates to really good restaurants near work because I know they'll be appreciated and used.

jriding

Post by jriding » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Give them one of the many excellent books recommended in the Wiki.

Jack Bogle's The Little Book of Common Sense Investing was life altering for me.

A share of stock is not of much value if the recipient doesn't know how to manage it (or the rest of their portfolio).

whiteprius

Post by whiteprius » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Honestly, in light of the fact that investing is very close to gambling, I would stay away. You might open a window for them that didn't need to be open. Also, it seems money grubbing to give a stock on xmas. Give them something fun and frivolous, like a Nieman Marcus gift card.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Jack Bogle’s The Little Book of Common Sense Investing.

Not as much fun as a battle of “Jack Daniels”, but Jack Bogle is better for your health anyway.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:03 pm

In the white elephant exchanges I've seen the booze seems to be the most popular item.

But with Secret Santa, you know the recipient, so you can "Taylor" the gift a little better.

See what I did there?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm

It's too bad that Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab don't sell some sort of gift card that can ONLY be used to buy securities/ETFs/MFs.
If they did - its something I'd be tempted to buy for children and nieces and nephews as college graduation gifts - what a better way to convince someone to start a Roth IRA than give them a $500 or $1000 start into a target date fund.
I supposed you can write a check or work with them to set up their Roth - but it would be nicer if they opened some sort of cute little Vanguard gift box (similar to the free Amazon gift boxes you can get with Amazon gift cards).

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Unless the recipient is a financial geek, getting an investment book would be like a kid getting socks for Christmas.

Secret Santa stuff is supposed to be fun!

Seriously, think of something fun, interesting.

Sure, a book might be good for them, but so would a bag of broccoli!

I wouldn't give anyone in a workplace setting books about investing, politics, or religion. I follow the same rules for certain members of my family.

Broken Man
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Don't do this. These gifts are supposed to be funny or nice, not preachy. My team is always a favorite at office gift swaps because we tend to gift alcohol. But you don't know which bottle is beer or bourbon and which is creme de menthe. :). This may not be appropriate for your office.