Non-US domiciled funds that trade in USD

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
hermano

Non-US domiciled funds that trade in USD

Post by hermano » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a list, or suggestions for funds/bonds that are not domiciled in the USA, but trade in US dollars.

I had an earlier post, but I think this is useful to other new investors to warrant a new topic.

I plan on living abroad indefinitely, I have savings in GBP, and currently earn in RMB (China) and I am likely to move to other countries for work and earn in different currencies in the future. I will most likely retire somewhere in Asia. It is likely I will have to pay the spread twice, once to invest now, and once to sell in the future. USD is the most commonly traded currency, and usually has the smallest spread from my experience through travelling so it makes sense to use that as the base currency of my investment.

I am a UK citizen, so I do not want any US-domiciled funds/bonds that will complicate things with US tax laws.

I currently have the following suggestions:

IWDA - iShares Core MSCI World UCITS ETF (USD, Ireland, 0.20% ER)
EIMA - iShares Core MSCI EM IMI UCITS ETF (USD, Ireland, 0.25% ER)

Do you have any other suggestions?

TIA

Re: Non-US domiciled funds that trade in USD

Post by 123 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm

There's a whole list of iShares funds in USD that are domiciled in Ireland like your existing choices. Have you checked them out?

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/e ... &view=list
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

hermano

Post by hermano » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:35 am

123 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 pm
There's a whole list of iShares funds in USD that are domiciled in Ireland like your existing choices. Have you checked them out?

https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/e ... &view=list
Thank you, that's great!
This one also looks good:

CSPX - iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF (USD, Ireland 0.07%)

BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 am

Hello,

Many provider of non-US domiciled ETF have USD versions of their funds.

You can look at the websties of the providers, or also on sites like https://www.justetf.com/uk/ or morningstar.

Please note that sometimes the ISIN code or the ticker are different, altought the name of the fund is the same; search on that one.
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence).

hermano

Post by hermano » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 am

BeBH65 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 am
Hello,

You can look at the websties of the providers, or also on sites like https://www.justetf.com/uk/ or morningstar.

Please note that sometimes the ISIN code or the ticker are different, altought the name of the fund is the same; search on that one.
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately the search functions are not great on those sites.

I could not find CSPX - iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF (USD, Ireland 0.07%) on Interactive Brokers!!! Do they not have it? Can someone suggest an alternative?

TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:49 am

hermano wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 am
I could not find CSPX - iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF (USD, Ireland 0.07%) on Interactive Brokers!!! Do they not have it? Can someone suggest an alternative?
I don't have an Interactive Brokers account, but found this [link] with a bit of poking around. The suggestion here is that it's available through them on four separate exchanges, but of course there's no way of knowing for sure without an actual account. Shrug.

As for alternatives, there are plenty of S&P 500 tracker ETFs available, but very few are accumulating like CSPX. And of those that are, none I can find is Ireland-domiciled and all rely on unfunded swaps. If CSPX is really unavailable then I would probably substitute Vanguard's VUSD. Distributing, but with the same 0.07% TER, full physical replication, and also Ireland-domiciled.

imperia

Post by imperia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:24 am

hermano wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 am
BeBH65 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 am
Hello,

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately the search functions are not great on those sites.

1.There is nothing wrong with search functions of justetf.com or morningstar.
2.I have checked and i find iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF (USD, Ireland 0.07%) on Interactive Brokers!!!
Just use another simbol, put "CSSPX" instead of CSPX.
You need search and read much more!

hermano

Post by hermano » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:06 pm

imperia wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:24 am

1.There is nothing wrong with search functions of justetf.com or morningstar.
2.I have checked and i find iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF (USD, Ireland 0.07%) on Interactive Brokers!!!
Just use another simbol, put "CSSPX" instead of CSPX.
You need search and read much more!
Hi imperia

You're right on both counts, the Morningstar website is fine to use, especially if I use the morningstar.co.uk site for searching for non-US domiciled funds. I have learnt to use it now.

Also yes CSPX is on IB, under CSSPX (I wonder why that might be?).

And yes I need to read up more on investing. I will try to buy some more books and find time to do so.

Does this allocation sound ok? All ETFs are Ireland domiciled and in USD...

30% in iShares Core S&P 500 UCITS ETF USD (Acc) (USD) CSPX (0.07% TER)
30% in Vanguard FTSE Developed World UCITS ETF VDEV (0.18% TER)
10% in iShares Core MSCI EM IMI UCITS ETF USD (Acc) EIMI (0.25% TER)
20% in Vanguard FTSE Developed Europe UCITS ETF (USD) VEUD (0.12% TER)

10% in US/Global/UK government bonds (I haven't chosen the bond yet and I plan to increase this allocation with time)

imperia

Post by imperia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:31 am

I have not time to read books, but I spend lot time on this forum, and I have red all about investing in ETF from Europe.
On this forum all answers are already writen,just find them.

Your portfolio is much better now than before.
When I start reading about investing I was impresed with slice and dice, but now I prefer simplicity(reduce my fee).
You need to think on brokers fee(more etfs more fee)
Best solution is simple solution.

I suggest:IWDA+EIMI if you want accumulation ETF.
My portfolio is:
65%IWDA
25%XDAX(DAX etf)
10%EIMI
I am from EU and I want more Europe than IWDA hold.
I have invested in Germany because I belive Germany will be better than rest of Europe.
I use bank account instead of bonds.

If you want distribution etf you can pick VWRL+VEUD and you have covered all.