ETRADE - Northern Stock Index - FEES

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
nofacetimber

ETRADE - Northern Stock Index - FEES

Post by nofacetimber » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Hey guys,

I have had an account with ETRADE for a while and throughout the whole year have been purchasing Northern Stock Index stock i.e. (NOSIX,NOBOX,NOINX) these transactions have always been free. Until today I noticed that all of a sudden ETRADE is charging $19.99 per transaction on these stocks.

I don't think ETRADE has a no fee 3 fund portfolio option anymore. I'm looking to get out of ETRADE, where do you suggest I go to find good low-cost funds?

I know that a lot of you use Vanguard, but are there other options that are perhaps better or just as competitive?

Thanks

Duckie

Re: ETRADE - Northern Stock Index - FEES

Post by Duckie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:34 pm

nofacetimber wrote:I don't think ETRADE has a no fee 3 fund portfolio option anymore. I'm looking to get out of ETRADE, where do you suggest I go to find good low-cost funds?

I know that a lot of you use Vanguard, but are there other options that are perhaps better or just as competitive?
Vanguard sells Vanguard funds and ETFs for free. Fidelity sells Fidelity funds and some iShare ETFs for free. Schwab sells Schwab funds for free. TDAmeritrade sells some ETFs for free, but has drastically reduced the number. If you want total market index funds I recommend using Vanguard or Fidelity. (And why are you putting taxable bonds [NOBOX] in what appears to be a taxable account?)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Duckie wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:34 pm
TDAmeritrade sells some ETFs for free, but has drastically reduced the number.
I thought they drastically increased the number, from about 100 to more than 250.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nofacetimber

Post by nofacetimber » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 am

"And why are you putting taxable bonds [NOBOX] in what appears to be a taxable account?"

Curious as to why this appears to be a taxable account to you. It's a Roth IRA.

Thank you for the responses.

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:01 pm

nofacetimber wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 pm
Hey guys,

I have had an account with ETRADE for a while and throughout the whole year have been purchasing Northern Stock Index stock i.e. (NOSIX,NOBOX,NOINX) these transactions have always been free. Until today I noticed that all of a sudden ETRADE is charging $19.99 per transaction on these stocks.

I don't think ETRADE has a no fee 3 fund portfolio option anymore. I'm looking to get out of ETRADE, where do you suggest I go to find good low-cost funds?

Thanks
FYI - I was able to have etrade credit me for $19.99 per account which held NOSIX in order to cover the new (surprise) fees in order to liquidate.

nofacetimber

Post by nofacetimber » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info.