Retirement: how to forecast where you’re at?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
pepperz

Retirement: how to forecast where you’re at?

Post by pepperz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Is there a tool or worksheet that will help us make estimates / forecasts on what our current investments might look like by the time we retire?

I am imagining being able to specify a portfolio balance, average conservative return per year until retirement.

Basically a way to keep track of whether we are realistically going to hit the number we decide we want by then.

EDIT:

I am looking for a forecast based on human inputs.

ie- if you have $X in portfolio assets today and plan on retiring in say 27 years, assuming a “conservative” 8%/year return, how much will your current portfolio be worth in that time?
Last edited by pepperz on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheTimeLord

Re: Retirement: how to forecast where you’re at?

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Have you tried either

FIRECalc®: How long will your money last?

Firecalc.com

Optimal Retirement Planner

I-ORP.com
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

pepperz

Post by pepperz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:30 pm

I-orp seems simple enough. I was hoping for something where values could be saved / updated for the future but I suppose it’s not a big deal to run it manually once or twice per year.

Thank you.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:33 pm

If you have an account with Fidelity they have a Retirement Planner that saves the values. I am sure you will get several other good suggestions from the BH.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

pepperz

Post by pepperz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Sorry - I don’t see where / how I-ORP estimates your future return. It only asks for age / account balances. Am I missing something?
TheTimeLord wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:06 pm
Have you tried either

Firecalc.com

I-ORP.com

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Tools like those mentioned cannot forecast what Mr. Market will be doing in coming years, sorry.
You are basically on your own with this issue...
Attempted new signature...

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 pm

pepperz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:36 pm
Sorry - I don’t see where / how I-ORP estimates your future return. It only asks for age / account balances. Am I missing something?
TheTimeLord wrote:
Have you tried either

Firecalc.com

I-ORP.com
The question was what one's investments would "look like" at some future time. A natural assumption is that the OP wants to know what his portfolio will be worth at a future time. To get there the method of calculation has to assume what the returns are going to be all along the way, so, yes returns are in the model but may not be displayed in the output. In the case of FireCalc the model proceeds by looking at what would have happened to the investor if he starts his history in each of over a hundred historical years and uses the actual returns that did occur.

Does that address what you are asking?

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm

One of our MN Bogleheads did a review of retirement calculators and presented the results at a quarterly meeting.

Firecalc came out on top with respect to planning for retirement. The Retiree Portfolio Model (RPM) and I-ORP were the two best planners for "spending" in retirement. IMHO RPM does a better job with Roth conversions if you have significant tax deferred assets.

An additional advantage of the RPM is that it is a downloadable Excel spreadsheet. The output is quite complex and it takes a little while to fully appreciate what is there but I think it is worth it.

ReadyToRetire

Post by ReadyToRetire » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Take a look at Personal Capital (www.personalcapital.com).

It lets you link your accounts and they have a retirement planner that claims to run 5,000 monte carlo projections whenever you want. They let you input a few assumptions, but not as many as Firecalc.

Good Luck!

pepperz

Post by pepperz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 pm

ie- if I have $X in portfolio assets today and plan on retiring in 30 years, assuming a “conservative” 8%/year return, how much will our portfolio be worth in that time?

Does that make more sense?
The Wizard wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm
Tools like those mentioned cannot forecast what Mr. Market will be doing in coming years, sorry.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 pm

pepperz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 pm

ie- if I have $X in portfolio assets today and plan on retiring in 30 years, assuming a “conservative” 8%/year return, how much will our portfolio be worth in that time?

The Wizard wrote:
$x invested for 30 years at 8%/year will grow to $10.0266x. Are you sure this is what you meant to ask? Note 10.0266=1.08^30.

pepperz

Post by pepperz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Yes that’s basically what I was thinking. Every 6 months or so, plugging in current portfolio numbers and estimating what our portfolio may look like by retirement.

Is there a better approach to checking in to make sure you’re on track?
$x invested for 30 years at 8%/year will grow to $10.0266x. Are you sure this is what you meant to ask? Note 10.0266=1.08^30.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 pm

pepperz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:00 pm
Yes that’s basically what I was thinking. Every 6 months or so, plugging in current portfolio numbers and estimating what our portfolio may look like by retirement.

Is there a better approach to checking in to make sure you’re on track?
Yes, a better approach is to look at what is done in models like FireCalc because investment returns are randomly variable from year to year and it is hard to know what numbers best to use for the distribution of returns. The answer will be a range of possible outcomes at various probabilities of occurring. You could indeed compare your actual accumulated wealth against the expectations and against your goal.

PharmerBrown

Post by PharmerBrown » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 pm

I like to use the calculator at MarketWatch:
https://www.marketwatch.com/retirement/ ... calculator
You can include your spouse and Social Security if you choose. Change the estimates under advanced settings.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 pm

pepperz wrote:

The Wizard wrote:
No it doesn't.
You need to take into account your additional contributions in the latter decades of your working years.
Mine were a LOT bigger than my early contribs...

pepperz

Post by pepperz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:44 pm

No it doesn't. You need to take into account your additional contributions in the latter decades of your working years. Mine were a LOT bigger than my early contribs...
So how do you know if you’re on track to hit your retirement goal number by the time you’re retired?

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm

pepperz wrote:

The Wizard wrote:
Hi, I constructed my own Excel spreadsheet and use the future value function so I can play what if. Included are assumptions on future yield, yearly contributions, and what my portfolio will look like next few years. Since I'm getting closer to retirement, I also add in SS by age so I can see what my cash flow will look like. I like the ability to customize the spreadsheet based on my/our needs although it is a bit more work than plugging numbers online.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

charriso1973

Post by charriso1973 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm

I've tried most of the available calculators, and the most effective for me is OnTrajectory: https://www.ontrajectory.com/welcome.html

Good luck.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:55 am

pepperz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:44 pm
No it doesn't. You need to take into account your additional contributions in the latter decades of your working years. Mine were a LOT bigger than my early contribs...
So how do you know if you’re on track to hit your retirement goal number by the time you’re retired?
Good question.
Best thing to do in the early going is to work on increasing your retirement savings rate and kick the rest of the question down the road. Putting 25-30% of gross income into long-term savings should eventually be feasible.

Then once you get to age 50, you can start projecting where your various retirement income streams will come from and what your desired retirement income is.
If another year like 2008 comes along, it will impact your planning, no way around it...

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:11 am

There is nothing conservative about 8 percent, nominal or real. Best to use a range of inputs, say 4, 6, 8 percent. Returns rarely work out as a straight line, one bad set of sequence risk can set you back years and if you deviate from course when markets decline such as we saw in 2008/2009, you may cause irreparable harm.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:09 am

Gee. Just use excel.

Current value
=above *(1+expected interest)+annual contribution.

I’d recommend you use interest - inflation to keep everything in todays dollars ($1mill 2047 dollars will not buy nearly as much as $1mill 2017 dollars) 8-3=5% or 0.05 (I use about 0.055 but there are threads on what number to use)

Then you can copy the formula down and see how much you’ll have at target date and also what date you’ll have what you want.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:08 am

Back in the Stone Age, I did it with a piece of paper and a pencil. OK, I cheated; I used a set of PV, FV tables and set the yearly benchmarks toward the "my number for retirement" goal. But, if you can add and multiply, you can do it by hand. Then every year, I compared the portfolio values against the goal.

Don't know if the method was correct; but, somehow, I retired roughly on time with the amount I targeted 20+ years before.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

JCE66

Post by JCE66 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 am

pepperz....I highly recommend that you find the thread from Bobcat on 'Funding ratio'. It makes a lot of sense. I use that to figure out where I stand, so to speak. Fair warning: It can be hugely depressing when you first calculate your funded ratio! :shock:

As for tools, Firecalc is great. Flexible Retirement Planner is also very good. I use those in conjunction with an excel workbook I created for myself.

kaudrey

Post by kaudrey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 am

I second just using Excel.

A few rows for your various investments, a row for contributions, then put in formulas to do the math. I have a spreadsheet that I've been playing with for the past 16 years (and it's grown quite a bit to be fairly sophisticated for lots of calculations....)

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:23 am

I have had good success using Excel to do retirement planning. If you have basic Excel knowledge and can use the PV, FV and annuity functions, you can do this yourself with Excel. I do a linear spreadsheet and then crosscheck by using one of the financial functions in Excel. Always crosscheck yourself because errors in spreadsheets are not always self evident. You can change returns, inflation, contributions, etc easily and see what different scenarios look like. The only thing I cannot do is Monte Carlo analysis but you can use of the online calculators for that.

I have tried some of the online calculators but prefer the Excel approach for myself. It gives me more flexibility and I can easily see changes year by year.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 am

pepperz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:36 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
Have you tried either

Firecalc.com

I-ORP.com
"Am I missing something?"
The full IORP calculator provides a few pages of output that shows account balances and returns as well as associated charts for each balance, income and also for taxes.
You can vary the inflation rate to offset any growth from that to look at real dollars and vary return by account type as well.
In addition you can 'save' each run or document as well as easily print it out.
The RPM spreadsheet and calculator can also do all this in more detail but it is a bit harder to load and utilize.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 am

Again, if people are happy with modeling return as a simple average return applied every year then the computations are simple to do in a spreadsheet. If one wants to account for the uncertainty that annual returns randomly vary by a lot and see the resultant range of possible outcomes, then that is what the statistical models like FireCalc are for.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 am

JCE66 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 am
pepperz....I highly recommend that you find the thread from Bobcat on 'Funding ratio'. It makes a lot of sense. I use that to figure out where I stand, so to speak. Fair warning: It can be hugely depressing when you first calculate your funded ratio! :shock:

As for tools, Firecalc is great. Flexible Retirement Planner is also very good. I use those in conjunction with an excel workbook I created for myself.
The funded ratio is a metric that can be used to monitor your retirement investment plan. It is simply the ratio of assets to liabilities, where the assets are the size of your portfolio and the liabilities are the present value of your targeted retirement income stream. A relatively easy and straightforward way to estimate the liabilities in the denominator is to price a deferred real life annuity that has payouts that match your targeted retirement income and begins payments in your expected retirement year.

Link to funded ratio thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219878

I use ESPlanner for retirement planning.
Link to ESPlanner website -http://www.esplanner.com/

ESPlanner is fairly expensive. Try their free stripped down version, ESPlanner Basic, first.
Link to free version - https://basic.esplanner.com/

The Center for Retirement Research at Boston College recommends three free retirement calculators, including ESPlanner Basic.
The other two are New Retirement and Target Your Retirement.

Here is the link to the New Retirement website. https://www.newretirement.com/
Here is the link to the Target Your Retirement website. http://crr.bc.edu/special-projects/inte ... etirement/

Here is the article where the researchers at The Center for Retirement Research at Boston College explain why they recommend these three retirement calculators. http://squaredawayblog.bc.edu/squared-a ... d-options/

A review of retirement income calculators by financial planner Dana Anspach earlier this month.
https://www.thebalance.com/web-s-best-r ... rs-2388842

Retirement researcher Olivia Mitchell of the Pension Research Council of the Wharton School discusses some drawbacks of many retirement income calculators.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/pensionres ... 5494e37bd5

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

TexasKid

Post by TexasKid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 am

I use the Fidelity Retirement Planner. It will provide you everything your looking plus more.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 am

pepperz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm
Is there a tool or worksheet that will help us make estimates / forecasts on what our current investments might look like by the time we retire?

I am imagining being able to specify a portfolio balance, average conservative return per year until retirement.

Basically a way to keep track of whether we are realistically going to hit the number we decide we want by then.

EDIT:

ie- if you have $X in portfolio assets today and plan on retiring in say 27 years, assuming a “conservative” 8%/year return, how much will your current portfolio be worth in that time?
I usually suggest www.firecalc.com .

The most important human input after current portfolio size will be the level of contributions.

An 8% annual return is not conservative.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

jimishooch

Post by jimishooch » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:33 pm
If you have an account with Fidelity they have a Retirement Planner that saves the values. I am sure you will get several other good suggestions from the BH.
+1

CMD1

Post by CMD1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:16 pm

It is not a retirement calculator but for a basic savings/investment calc I like the planning tips savings calc. Just enter your current balance, monthly contribution and expected rate of return and number of years.

http://www.planningtips.com/cgi-bin/savings.pl

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 pm

A review of retirement income calculators by financial planner Dana Anspach earlier this month.

Wow - I really do not agree with that article rating the AARP tool over TRP and Fidelity after viewing/using all of them.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

I built my own spreadsheet for this.
pepperz wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm
I suggest you decide whether you want a "conservative" return or an 8% return -- those aren't synonymous...

For my estimates, I used my asset allocation with real returns based upon the 50-year results from the CSRI Global Returns yearbook -- others prefer to use the results since 1900.

kcc

Post by kcc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 pm

For what it's worth, the SEC has a very simple and useful compound interest calculator that allows you to input interest rate sensitivities...

https://www.investor.gov/additional-res ... calculator

Beverage

Post by Beverage » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:38 pm

charriso1973 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm
I've tried most of the available calculators, and the most effective for me is OnTrajectory: https://www.ontrajectory.com/welcome.html

Good luck.
charriso1973, can you clarify why you like OnTrajectory? I have played with it for a few minutes but couldn't get very far without signing up for a subscription. I'm okay with paying them money if it's valuable but I'm not inclined to pay without understanding how it will be better than Fidelity's retirement planning tool. Fidelity's tool is free, is pretty powerful, and I have spent quite a bit of time inputting data into and tinkering with.

Post by 2015 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
+1
Before retirement, I ran several hundred thousand calculators, maybe even several million. They all gave estimates pointing in the right direction. Post retirement, I'm only using Fidelity because it suits my needs, because I can, and because simplicity eats complexity for lunch.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:57 pm

2015 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
+1
Before retirement, I ran several hundred thousand calculators, maybe even several million...
I see...
*stroking beard*

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:38 pm

kaudrey wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 am
I second just using Excel.

A few rows for your various investments, a row for contributions, then put in formulas to do the math. I have a spreadsheet that I've been playing with for the past 16 years (and it's grown quite a bit to be fairly sophisticated for lots of calculations....)
Long before I discovered Bogleheads, I created a fairly simple Excel spreadsheet to track actual and projected growth of my portfolio. I had pairs of columns. Each pair assumed a specific amount invested per year. The columns in each pair assumed an average rate of return. For example $15k+6% and $15k+7%; $20k+6% and $20k+7%. The first row was current value of the portfolio and there was a row for each year forward to planned retirement.

Each January I would compare my portfolio value against where I anticipated I would be in each scenario. Then I would copy the formulas to a new worksheet and start over in the current year with the updated actual $ in the first row. Because I was pretty conservative with the numbers I put in, my portfolio growth outstripped the forecast every year except 2008 and 2009. During a rough time at my company, when I wasn't sure whether I'd have a job much longer, I added a pair of columns to see what the effect would be if I never made any more contributions to the portfolio. Seeing the totals in those columns calmed me down regarding what my future might look like.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Here's a very simple one to use:

https://www.retirementsimulation.com/
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Post by 2015 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:57 pm
2015 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm
TheTimeLord wrote:
+1
Before retirement, I ran several hundred thousand calculators, maybe even several million...
I see...
*stroking beard*
I wanted to be "sure". Maybe I still do. Unfortunately, that's never gonna happen. :beer

John Z

Post by John Z » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:25 am

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks for the great list of options! Very much appreciated!

(And FTR, I have an Excel spreadsheet - I may have gotten the basic one from a BH post - that I've tweaked and edited over the past 7 years. It has a row for each January 1, and a column for amount contributed, expected rate of return, amount withdrawn, pension income, SS income, etc. I find it very comforting). :D
bobcat2 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 am

The funded ratio is a metric that can be used to monitor your retirement investment plan. It is simply the ratio of assets to liabilities, where the assets are the size of your portfolio and the liabilities are the present value of your targeted retirement income stream. A relatively easy and straightforward way to estimate the liabilities in the denominator is to price a deferred real life annuity that has payouts that match your targeted retirement income and begins payments in your expected retirement year.

Link to funded ratio thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219878

I use ESPlanner for retirement planning.
Link to ESPlanner website -http://www.esplanner.com/

ESPlanner is fairly expensive. Try their free stripped down version, ESPlanner Basic, first.
Link to free version - https://basic.esplanner.com/

The Center for Retirement Research at Boston College recommends three free retirement calculators, including ESPlanner Basic.
The other two are New Retirement and Target Your Retirement.

Here is the link to the New Retirement website. https://www.newretirement.com/
Here is the link to the Target Your Retirement website. http://crr.bc.edu/special-projects/inte ... etirement/

Here is the article where the researchers at The Center for Retirement Research at Boston College explain why they recommend these three retirement calculators. http://squaredawayblog.bc.edu/squared-a ... d-options/

Retirement researcher Olivia Mitchell of the Pension Research Council of the Wharton School discusses some drawbacks of many retirement income calculators.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/pensionres ... 5494e37bd5

BobK