if you could use only 1 investment firm...

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
bondsr4me

if you could use only 1 investment firm...

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm

I know there have been many posts about brokerage firms and I am not trying to be redundant.

I currently use VG, Fido, Schwab and TDAmeritrade.

With the year-end coming upon us, I am very seriously considering pairing back from 4 firms to just one (or maybe 2).
Keeping track of 4 joint accounts and 2 IRA's is getting to be a real PIA.

If I was going to use only ETF's or mutual funds, I would only use VG period. VG is kinda behind in the technical end of things, but I really TRUST them. I can tolerate occasional mistakes, but I totally detest anyone being dishonest with me. I have NEVER had the occasion to distrust VG.

I do now and intend in the future to buy/hold individual stocks/bonds, mutual funds and ETF's. I have no intention of changing this. I don't mind researching investments, I kinda enjoy it. I have a background in accounting/finance/investments, so I don't consider this to be a chore.

I do however want to simplify the number brokers I use (not my investments).

If you had to choose just ONE of the above, who would it be?? Why would (or do) you choose/use this one.

Thank you for your thoughts. I hope you had a very nice Thanksgiving.

Don
Last edited by bondsr4me on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

Re: if you could have only 1 investment firm...

Post by Ron » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:21 pm

R U serious?

You are asking this question on a forum dedicated to Vanguard? :oops: ...

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:23 pm

The firm from Wolf of Wall Street: Stratton Oakmont

Seriously? Vanguard and thank you Mr. Bogle!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Ron wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:21 pm
R U serious? Yes, I am or I wouldn't waste my time with this.

I didn't know this forum was a "Vanguard" forum.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:28 pm

I like Fidelity for their cash management account. Have had banking and brokerage at the same place since E-Trade bought a bank back in the '90's. Schwab also has banking. I also like Fidelity for their research and graphing tools, which are light-years ahead of Vanguard.

But since you have experience with four different places, you probably already have a good idea which is best (or least annoying) for your situation.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Ron wrote:
R U serious?

I didn't know this forum was dedicated to Vanguard. Do I need to drop out?

When we retired, we consolidated all of our accounts (Fidelity, ML & Vanguard) into accounts at Scottrade. The total new account bonus collected more than compensated for at least a decade of commission savings at Vanguard, and I have better customer service and local office access.

After the TD Ameritrade purchase of Scottrade is finalized, I may move all account somewhere else. Front runner is currently Merrill Edge, but decision is 2-4 months away. Available bonus $$ will influence my move.

I forgot to mention, all of our investments in all accounts are in Vanguard funds or ETFs.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Probably Schwab.

They can handle DPoA's and trust docs without a blink.
Only problem is they don't handle cash, so we still need to go next door to a "real bank" to get cash or cash checks, etc.

But we'll probably never be able to use "just one", as we are locked into TIAA with a couple of holdings (with a minimum of 9 years/1 day to get out - and we most likely will not want to "get out", thinking ahead to annuitizing), and we wouldn't want to move all Vanguard/Fidelity funds into TIAA's high expense IRA choices.

We'll probably move a lot of the 403b money to Schwab once we can, in a few years, and leave a good percentage at TIAA for future annuitizing (and TREA as long as we still want that).

Plus... we do NOT want "all of our investments" in one single firm, at a minimum, in case of significant online access problems that take a while to untangle, etc.

We'll probably use 3, but to minimize complexity, not have duplicates in terms of "type of funds", as much as possible.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

mickeyd

Re: if you could use only 1 investment firm...

Post by mickeyd » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:30 pm

VG
Your message contains 2 characters.
You need to enter at least 5 characters.

VG V
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Ron wrote:
R U serious?

I know. Are we being punked!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:32 pm

We have accounts at Vanguard, WellsTrade, Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, and TIAA-CREF. If I had to pick one, then I would pick WellsTrade because all the others have made mistakes. Although some of the mistakes are good, such as TDAmeritrade giving my spouse a free $85,000. They don't even want it back, but we'll have to see if they change their mind.

I suppose that WellsTrade would not work for you. We get free trades, but you would have to pay a commission. Nevertheless, executions are superb, statements are excellent, 1099s are perfect and so far both phone and e-mail support has been perfect.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 pm

For me the answer is easy, if I could only use one firm, hands down it would be Fidelity. Customer service, ease of use and diversity of offerings are excellent plus I use their cash back credit card.
Run, You Clever Boy! 8723

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:42 pm

I wish I could have only one investment and bank firm and that it was Vanguard.

Will Vanguard ever enter the world of banking?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Schwab.

Post by 123 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 pm

If I was limited to one it would be Schwab. I've had Schwab accounts for over 30 years. Never had a real problem or issue with them at any time. We also have accounts at Fidelity and Vanguard at present to add some diversity. While I admire Vanguard I find that Schwab and Fidelity provide a more comprehensive range of offerings. Of course Vanguard has their niche and they do it extraordinary well. My main reason for favoring Schwab and Fidelity over Vanguard is that if something new or different comes along (the next big thing after mutual funds and ETFs) I think that Schwab and Fidelity will be on it long before Vanguard. Sure I know Schwab and Fidelity are driven by the dollar, but most of us are as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

galectin

Post by galectin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Ron wrote:
R U serious?

Uh, I regard us as Bogleheads, not Vanguardians.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:53 pm

We have only one investment firm, Vanguard.

The vast majority of our retirement portfolio is in Vanguard mutual funds, or Vanguard ETFs. Though, I do dabble a bit in individual stocks. Way less than 5% of portfolio, though growing nicely.

We have been in the Vanguard Brokerage platform for some time, and the change was easy for us. All our links to banks and such were fine, as our Flagship Rep basically worked with us to change the platform. I liked the combined platform as it cut out a couple of accounts for us.

One area of concern has been raised by others concerning the ability of Vanguard to correctly sell identified shares/lots. Since all of our retirement accounts are tax-deferred, identifiable share/lots when selling has zero value for us, but obviously has value for others. I don't really see us doing much in our taxable account until we have to start taking RMDs, and probably won't spend all the RMD, so the remainder will need to go somewhere. Right now the account has a whopping $27.02 balance.

All in all I probably make less than 15 trades a year, all have always been executed correctly. But, my trades are almost always simple market orders. No idea how more complicated trading efforts are handled.

For us, Vanguard works very well. For others, apparently not so well. YMMV.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:02 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm
If I was going to use only ETF's or mutual funds, I would only use VG period... I do now and intend in the future to buy/hold individual stocks/bonds, mutual funds and ETF's. I have no intention of changing this.
Is there some problem buying individual stocks or bonds at Vanguard?

It would be Vanguard for me, but I don't have a brokerage account and don't by individual stocks or bonds. If there is a problem with that, I might look somewhere else or use two places.

danaht

Post by danaht » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Fidelity would be my choice.
Fidelity has
1) great solo 401k (although I am using Schwab for solo - but could switch to Fidelity some day)
2) really good customer service
3) has a great commission free ETF selection
4) has a great low cost mutual fund index selection
5) has physical locations where you can go in and get help
6) rewards investors with free turbo tax occasionally, and other promotions
7) $4.95 commissions are one of the cheapest

These are my choices for #2, #3, #4, and #5 brokerages
2) Schwab (good customer service, and selection of commission free ETFs, and $4.95 commissions)
3) Merril Edge / Bank of America (100 free trades each month and other great credit card rewards for preferred rewards members )
4) TD Ameritrade (OK selection of commission free ETFs, and one of the only brokerages that work with low cost HSA providers - ie HSABank)
5) Vanguard (has commission free Vanguard products (ETFs, mutual funds) - but I like Fidelity, and Schwab better for customer service)

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Do you like having a walk in office? If so, chose one near you. I like fidelity funds, but like having a local office. My aacounts are with Fidelity. When I roll over my 401k, I may go to Schwab. I am nervous about having all accounts within one entity.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm

I am nervous about having all accounts within one entity.
Why?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Investment firm: Vanguard
Banking, other things: Schwab (but a good alternate investment firm).. . . .
j :D

cwilm79

Post by cwilm79 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Interested to see the feedback here, I'm one of the people that haven't gotten comfortable with not having the walk in office and putting my life savings with these online options that appear to be the smart way to go with obvious low expenses but I've got the mental block of how do you feel safe with $1MM plus invested where I don't have a local point of contact or someone to deal with directly. My small business consumes me but I know I need to make the jump, are all these options as safe as the next one?

student

Post by student » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:33 pm

For me, it would be either Fidelity or Merrill Edge.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:59 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 pm
Ron wrote:
R U serious? Yes, I am or I wouldn't waste my time with this.

This is not a Vanguard forum.

We use only Vanguard funds, and all of our accounts are at Vanguard:
1 joint taxable account;
2 Roth IRAs; and
1 rollover IRA.

Vanguard has the largest selection of low expense ratio funds offered anywhere, I like the website, I trust them, and my experience with their customer sevice has always been very good.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Easy for me, as I've said it repeatedly, Merrill Edge. They have best deal going right now.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:18 pm

I also have accounts at Vanguard, Fidelity, TDAmeritrade and Schwab.

One place, just from ease of use, ease of dealing with them and lack of hassle, Fidelity. Cost is so close between the 4 and everyone is going to continue to leapfrog everyone. If I had to choose a 2nd choice, Schwab would be it. Beyond them, I'd have to really think about it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:30 pm

bogleheads:

We have had all our investments with Vanguard since 1986 and are very pleased. No reason to change.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:36 pm

I have accounts at Vanguard and Fidelity. If I had to go with only one it would be Fidelity. Local access is important to me and I believe it will be very helpful to my heirs when I pass.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Merrill. I have been most impressed by them at all levels and the Bank of America connection allows for seamless banking. Not good if you like trading stocks as the fees are high. However, for buy and hold it's great

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Merrill. I have been most impressed by them at all levels and the Bank of America connection allows for seamless banking. Not good if you like trading stocks as the fees are high. However, for buy and hold it's great in my experience. Been unimpressed with TD. Also have an account at Schwab and been pretty happy with them also. I love the free international atm use with Schwab.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Definately Schwab.

paul e

Post by paul e » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Definitely Vanguard. It's not a hypothetical for me. Its a reality. See no reason for anybody else.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:34 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm
If you had to choose just ONE of the above, who would it be?? Why would (or do) you choose/use this one.
Interactive Brokers.

Vanguard doesn't do currency exchange and their brokerage won't let me hold non-US assets. And Vanguard's margin rates are ridiculous.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:42 pm

LarryAllen wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm
Merrill. I have been most impressed by them at all levels and the Bank of America connection allows for seamless banking. Not good if you like trading stocks as the fees are high. However, for buy and hold it's great
All you need is 50k in assets to get 30 trades/month and 100k gets you 100/month. Even without that, their commissions are $6.95, which isn't the lowest but not bad.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 pm

I don't think that question can be answered intelligently without knowing what specific investments you want to make.

I've used Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab. I think they are all fine, and more than fine for what I need.

In your situation my decision would be based entirely on transaction fees for the specific funds and ETFs I want. I have a slight "fan" preference for Vanguard funds and ETFs, so I am at Vanguard where I can get those with no transaction fees. At Schwab or Fidelity there would be stiff transaction fees for the Vanguard funds I want, so I would have to change and substitute the virtually equivalent products that are available there without transaction fees.

I have occasional ongoing discussions with my wife about what to do if "something happens." I asked her how she felt about the availability of human people to talk to in the flesh at storefronts. If this had mattered at all to her, I would have heaved a sigh and moved everything to Schwab (nearest storefront ten miles away) or Fidelity (five miles). But she said "no," and I took her at her word.

I was at Schwab from about 2000 to 2002. I didn't pay attention to the installation of Pottruck as CEO. During his brief tenure, Schwab kept raising the level of assets needed for them to waive account maintenance fees and I was furious when a $120 fee showed up on my quarterly statement. If they hadn't done that, I'd still be where... and probably using Schwab index funds. For seven or eight years I had accounts at both Fidelity and Vanguard, and decided to consolidate to simplify. It was close to a coin-flip, but I went for Vanguard.

Currently, my holdings are all Vanguard mutual funds. If I had a mixture of mutual funds and ETFs from many firms, and "traded" individual stocks and ETFs more than once or twice a year, then, let me put it this way: if you held no Vanguard funds or ETFs at all, then I don't think Vanguard would be your first choice just as a "brokerage."
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:57 pm

mickeyd wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm
I am nervous about having all accounts within one entity.
Why?
There is institutional risk of cyber attack or systems failure of any sort. Most of this hopefully could eventually be sorted out but it could take time and limit your access to you funds in the meantime.

It is .less likely that an attack like this would hit multiple investment houses at the same time.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Fidelity

I consolidated all my investments outside of the TSP into Fidelity earlier this year and when I retire from the military I will likely roll most/all my TSP into my Roth IRA at Fidelity. Their website and app are excellent (including their security options), as is their customer service. Additionally if you like CD ladders they have a very easy to use tool to build them effortlessly within your brokerage account with just a few clicks. Their fixed income desk really is a unique offering as far as I am aware of.

All that said, you really are probably fine using any of the ones you listed. To me Fidelity has the best offerings for what I want but your mileage may vary.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:42 pm
LarryAllen wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm
All you need is 50k in assets to get 30 trades/month and 100k gets you 100/month. Even without that, their commissions are $6.95, which isn't the lowest but not bad.
Right. I was talking about full service Merrill but I think you are right for Edge.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:00 pm

We have account at VG and Fidelity.
However for our kids and other younger generation recommend, Fidelity and Schwab.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:03 pm

I move my money to firms that offer bonuses. At the present time, I have accounts at Fidelity, Schwab and TD Ameritrade; and I have no preference.

TravelforFun

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:12 pm

OP, if you are in need of just personal investments, not banking or bill paying, I would recommend Vanguard as the sole brokerage. Since you are using ETFs, that opens other options for you. If you are looking for cash management, eBill paying, etc. Fidelity (personal experience) or Schwab (no experience) would work as a single point brokerage. Many on the forum have online high yield savings accounts such as Ally, AMEX, Discover, etc. and the combination of online savings and say Vanguard could work quite well. Also, some posters above mentioned Merrill Edge and Bank of America. That could work with ETFs tied to a BoA rewards card. The interface works relatively smoothly but you toggle between the ME and BoA site. I am in the process of dropping Merrill Edge because I use only mutual funds not ETFs and ME just doesn't work well, high fees for MF trades and lack of Admiral shares for VG so makes more sense just to use VG for mutual fund brokerage.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:25 pm

I already do this

1 firm

Everything is with Vanguard

I've got no complaints

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:49 pm

Recently I have worked with Schwab, Fidelity, and Vanguard. Schwab and Fidelity were very easy and helpful. Vanguard was difficult.

togb

Post by togb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:35 pm

I have had accounts with Schwab, Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, WellsFargo, TRowePrice and Ameriprise. (some I chose, some were 401K's chosen by employers).

Schwab is my primary and has been for almost 20 years. I've had no issues, and felt like the customer service is generally strong. My primary IRA is there, as well as my ROTH and inherited IRA and a couple of after tax brokerage, one of which has checking attached to it. At one point, I needed a second before-tax IRA and could not use the one at Schwab due an active 72t, so I opened one at Fidelity. Turns out I'm satisfied with them too. Useful research capabilities on the website, easy trades, good options and logical presentation of the information I need about the account.

I like those Vanguard funds with their low fees-- and I have a pretty good stake in VDIGX and loathed paying that commission. But I bought a good bit of it, so that the nasty commission was quickly earned back. I thought about opening an account with Vanguard, but I don't fewer accounts not more. Schwab is now going head to head on the low fees Vanguard pioneered, and EFTs have opened a new way to buy in without offensive commissions.

If I had to go with one, it would be Schwab. But I prefer two, and I think my #2 choice is still Fidelity. I'm not sure how I'll organize accounts between the two-- maybe before tax IRAs one place, ROTH and brokerage the other. I don't have to figure that out til I leave this job (and roll things over)-- maybe not til RMDs are approaching.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:34 pm
Interactive Brokers. Vanguard doesn't do currency exchange and their brokerage won't let me hold non-US assets. And Vanguard's margin rates are ridiculous.
I agree with AlohaJoe.

Interactive Brokers, no second choice is even close. Trade execution, commissions, range of products, and margin rates are second to none among brokers that will take retail clients. Now you don't need them to hold a three fund portfolio, but if you care about any of these things, they are well worth checking out.

brother7

Post by brother7 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:47 pm

I wouldn't settle on just one. I'd use two because each has its own strengths.

Vanguard for Vanguard family funds and ETFs
Either Schwab or Fidelity (they're pretty much equal so it's a toss-up) for non-Vanguard funds and ETFs and for individual stocks.

Personally, I have accounts at all three. Between Schwab and Fidelity, I prefer Schwab because I have a longer history with them.

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:59 pm
bondsr4me wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:27 pm
Ron wrote:
This is not a Vanguard forum.
Well, this site grew up out of the Vanguard Diehards forum.

Me? Vanguard. :D
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Tanelorn wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 pm
AlohaJoe wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:34 pm
Interactive Brokers. Vanguard doesn't do currency exchange and their brokerage won't let me hold non-US assets. And Vanguard's margin rates are ridiculous.
I agree with AlohaJoe.

Interactive Brokers, no second choice is even close. Trade execution, commissions, range of products
As an example...I also have Wells Fargo as a bank/broker and am generally happy with them. But one day I went to buy FALN -- an iShares high-yield ETF. The transaction mysteriously failed with error code -24533. I tried again over a few days. It always failed. Eventually I emailed their customer support and learned that they had decided certain ETFs were too "risky" and barred customers from purchasing them. Apparently they decided that both ANGL and FALN (both "fallen angels" ETFs) were too risky for anyone to be allowed to buy.

If I were stuck with just one broker for life, I would be annoyed that someone else was deciding what I was and was not allowed to purchase.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Merrill Edge. I moved all of my money from vanguard over the last few years but still hold vanguard etf's. win win.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:21 am

Fido.