consolidating accounts

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
veena9111

consolidating accounts

Post by veena9111 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Good afternoon,
My husband and I would like to transfer our accounts from one of the brokerages to Vanguard. It will be about $ 1,000,000.Most of it is in individual stocks. Should I liquidate all the stocks and pt them in a 3 fund portfolio, or leave the stocks as they are. If I liquidate them then what will the tax implications be. We are 64 and 57 yrs old respectively.About 600,000 are in various IRA's and a minimal amount in HSA's.
Thank you for your assistance

dbr

Re: consolidating accounts

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:11 pm

There are no tax implications for moving an IRA from one broker to another as long as it is done as a custodial transfer and not as a distribution. Others can chime in on the details if Vanguard is not able to explain. I assume assets in an HSA can be transferred equally well, but someone else will know.

In general diversified index funds are preferred over collections of individual stocks to the extent the stock collection is not very many stocks or too concentrated in one industry or company. You would want to compare the sales commissions for selling where you are compared to Vanguard. There are no tax costs to sell and buy assets in an IRA.

If you have stocks in taxable accounts there could be a capital gain that would be taxed. Before you do anything you need to tabulate the cost basis for all your holdings and see what tax cost there might be from selling those holdings.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:14 pm

veena9111 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:04 pm
Good afternoon,
My husband and I would like to transfer our accounts from one of the brokerages to Vanguard. It will be about $ 1,000,000.Most of it is in individual stocks. Should I liquidate all the stocks and pt them in a 3 fund portfolio, or leave the stocks as they are. If I liquidate them then what will the tax implications be. We are 64 and 57 yrs old respectively.About 600,000 are in various IRA's and a minimal amount in HSA's.
Thank you for your assistance
Without knowing more it's going to be difficult to give you good answers. I suggest you re-post following the format in this "Asking Portfolio Questions" post. Folks here are eager to help. If you post in this format, it'll give them the information needed to give you a better answer.

You'll likely get a large number of recommendations that you sell individual stocks and purchase broad-market index funds. But depending on capital-gain issues, it won't be quite that simple. Anything liquidated inside a tax-advantaged account such as an IRA should not incur tax liabilities from the sale. Anything outside such accounts, such as stocks held in a brokerage account, may incur capital gain taxes, depending on the increase in share price since you bought them and your current tax bracket.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

veena9111

Post by veena9111 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Thank you, I will do it this weekend
Appreciate your assistance
V

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 pm

With the "various IRAs", you would want to convert them to cash in each IRA account then do a "trustee to trustee" transfer. Your present brokerage should make the check out to "VFTC FBO veeba" for each separate IRA. Abbreviations are: Vanguard Fiduciary Trust Company & For Benefit Of.

The check will be sent you, then you will forward it to Vanguard with a cover letter listing all the particulars. This is the way I transferred my 401k into my Vanguard Rollover IRA a couple of years ago.

Contact Vanguard & they will walk you through it & be on the phone with you when you talk to your current brokerage, if you want them to.

You may want to sell your individual stocks after you retire (maybe in the 15% Federal tax bracket so you can take advantage of the 0% long term capital gains rate) but before SS & RMDs (required minimum distributions) at age 70.

bill

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 pm

What is your intention with the individual stocks? While there are no tax consequences to selling stocks in an IRA, there are still commissions. Vanguard would charge you commissions to sell those stocks if that is your intention. Your existing financial institutions may charge lower commissions than Vanguard or even no commissions to sell the stocks you own.

Even with one million dollars of stocks, one will not get so-called Flagship status at Vanguard. That's because only Vanguard products are included in whether one gets Flagship status.

Personally, I would recommend liquidating the stocks and using broad-market index funds (i.e. 3-fund portfolio) to anyone who has to ask whether to use individual stocks or a 3-fund portfolio.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 pm

billfromct wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 pm
With the "various IRAs", you would want to convert them to cash in each IRA account then do a "trustee to trustee" transfer. Your present brokerage should make the check out to "VFTC FBO veeba" for each separate IRA. Abbreviations are: Vanguard Fiduciary Trust Company & For Benefit Of.

The check will be sent you, then you will forward it to Vanguard with a cover letter listing all the particulars. This is the way I transferred my 401k into my Vanguard Rollover IRA a couple of years ago.
Ugh. Why would you want to do that? It's much easier to fill out the form to do an ACATS transfer of the account to the new custodian. The assets can either be sent in-kind and dealt with at the new brokerage, or sold and just the cash sent.

Most custodians can do ACATS transfers in a week to ten days anymore.

If there are a lot of individual stocks to handle, I'd go to a custodian that will give a bonus and free trades (at least initially).
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.