What's your weighted average expense ratio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Ron Scott

What's your weighted average expense ratio?

Post by Ron Scott »

I just calculated mine at 0.0506%

Caveats--these are sizable assets and are included in the calcs:
Muni funds in taxable cost .09% each
Post NUA company stock is held for free
Transferred bond ladder in taxable is held free

Real estate and some CDs not included in the calcs.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.
dwickenh

Re: What's your weighted average expense ratio?

Post by dwickenh »

.10 with all Vanguard funds, 76% indexed and 24% Wellesley admiral in the TIRA.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

9 basis points
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

If you don't count savings bonds and stable value,It's about .5(two thirds of my stock allocation is .63,cheapest option in 401)
If i change in December to a new bond fund offered in my 401,it will increase even more
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

0.05%

Basically a 2-fund portfolio consisting of Total Stock Market and Total Bond Market.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Mine is probably around .25, I don't bother calculate it, but I don't understand the point of these constant comparison posts that have been appearing lately. Nobody learns anything from them. What does it matter if someone else answers .01, .1, or 1%? How does knowing that benefit anyone?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:49 pm Mine is probably around .25, I don't bother calculate it, but I don't understand the point of these constant comparison posts that have been appearing lately. Nobody learns anything from them. What does it matter if someone else answers .01, .1, or 1%? How does knowing that benefit anyone?
I don't bother to calculate it either, it just shows up on my Vanguard Portfolio Watch page. We're just bragging and who else but Bogleheads would appreciate these numbers - so this is the only place we can do it. :D
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:49 pm Mine is probably around .25, I don't bother calculate it, but I don't understand the point of these constant comparison posts that have been appearing lately. Nobody learns anything from them. What does it matter if someone else answers .01, .1, or 1%? How does knowing that benefit anyone?
Mine is <0.1. I think it's just more for fun than anything. Instead of having a having a favorite sports team, bogleheaders have a favorite ER.
My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026 | Virtua lBogleheads® Blog: https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

1.47%

Made your blood pressure jump!
lazylarry

Post by lazylarry »

PFInterest wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm 1.47%

Made your blood pressure jump!
I actually thought you put a typo and meant it to be 0.147%. I feel like you would be auto-banned from this forum if your ER was 1.47. :happy
My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026 | Virtua lBogleheads® Blog: https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

0.054%
Topic Author
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 pm
I don't bother to calculate it either, it just shows up on my Vanguard Portfolio Watch page. We're just bragging and who else but Bogleheads would appreciate these numbers - so this is the only place we can do it. :D
$9000 pet M invested EVERY YEAR FOREVER. That’s the difference between our 0.1% and the industry average 1%.

A. THIS is what “financial advisors” should be selling and advising. :annoyed

B. Most guys I know would snap to attention and move their butts if you presented this opportunity to them so clearly...UNTIL they realize they’d have to restructure their portfolio; then they freeze.
Last edited by Ron Scott on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.
bgf

Post by bgf »

Last year it was 0.19%.

I only calculate it at the end of the year.
My wife's 403(b) doesn't offer much in the way of Vanguard funds, and my current Simple IRA has a 1.0% fee on top of everything held in it, which is thankfully just cheap Vanguard ETFs.

It should be a few basis points lower this year.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

0.067%
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

0.13 total with 0.19 for stock portion and 0.08 for bond portion. Stock portion will come down over time.
Another way to look at it, is that it represents about 1.3 weeks per year living expenses.
Last edited by dcabler on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
birdog

Post by birdog »

0.094%
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

0.07%
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

About 0.0672%, just approximately more or less.

Down in the range of expense ratio most of us are located, the differences just don't matter.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

Mine is .07%
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

As of today .07
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

just calculated mine. 0.1839 :x

My biggest offenders are
- Money Market fund (SPAXX). Due to a windfall I have a large amount of cash at the moment parked in this fund that is skewing expenses.

And some funds below that i had purchased before becoming a boglehead. Being in the highest tax bracket over the years, selling them to save on expenses would have actually created less value overall. So I have just kept them. I will start swapping them out as my tax situation is changing starting next year.

- Bond funds (AGDYX, SPHIX, PRVAX)
- Active equity funds (FBIOX, HSCSX, MPGFX)
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

It's not necessarily about learning anything but it helps to normalize low ERs. Don't forget there are tons of members who are still on the edge about changing their portfolios, leaving higher ER funds, and the Google searches who stumble upon these threads. I don't think the spattering of us who already have low ER portfolios bragging helps us necessarily, just let's the rest of the world see that it is easy and can be done. Maybe that thread stalker who is staring down the barrel of an EJ AUM fee on top of a portfolio of 1% ER funds will feel more empowered realizing they could could cut 90+% of their expenses.

Last I calculated I was 5.5 basis points in Feb but since then my TSP proportion has grown and my taxable investments have gone from investor to admiral shares. Probably not much change. I'll figure it all again when it's time to redo my math and AA in January. #IPS
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Ron Scott wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:19 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 pm
$9000 pet M invested EVERY YEAR FOREVER. That’s the difference between our 0.1% and the industry average 1%.

A. THIS is what “financial advisors” should be selling and advising. :annoyed

B. Most guys I know would snap to attention and move their butts if you presented this opportunity to them so clearly...UNTIL they realize they’d have to restructure their portfolio; then they freeze.
It "shows up" in Portfolio Watch for Vanguard funds but not for a lot of what you're invested in. That stable value fund in your retirement account has an expense ratio that on the one hand we don't really care about, but it's probably not very low. Your TIAA investments... that opens a whole different can of expense worms, and we don't need another argument about the Real Estate account expense ratio, but it will likely bust your .0-whatever average. The fact is that some people can take advantage of opportunities like TSP or low-cost megacorp plans that others don't have available. And that's not even getting into the fact that even in the VG universe, less diversification yields lower expense ratios (owning those foreign bonds can be pricey), so when you set out low expenses as essentially an objective, you have to be careful what other effects come along with it.
Bodacious

Post by Bodacious »

8 basis points plus a $50 annual fee for my Schwab PCRA. Before the PCRA "escape hatch", I was paying 70 basis points for similar funds in my Nationwide 457b.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

5.6 basis points. It would be lower, but I'm getting "creamed" by the NY 529 plan at 15 basis points :D. It helps to have a 401k with ERs between 1 and 4 basis points.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Including savings bonds, 0.0376%. Not including savings bonds, 0.0446%.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
student

Post by student »

0.18% not counting TIAA Traditional.
Last edited by student on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

0.03. 8-)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

.07%

Vanguard Total Stock .04%
BlackRock U.S. Equity Index M .02%
Vanguard Total International .11%
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Veiled wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am0.03. 8-)
Wow!
How did you get it so low?
TD2626

Post by TD2626 »

One question is whether those with CDs, high yield savings accounts, individual stocks, individual bonds, or physically held precious metals figure an overall expense ratio. Do these assets have zero expense ratio?

What if most of your expenses involve transaction fees or one-time loads? Do these fees need to be spread out over many years to find an "average year's" expense ratio?

What about physically owned real estate held for investment purposes? Does the cost of maintenance and insurance count as an investment expense?

What about "invisible" costs - like the bid-ask spread with ETFs?

What about the time cost of calculating your weighted average expense ratio? If you spend several hours calculating your weighted average expense ratio, should you also include as a cost of investing the $30 that you could have earned and invested by driving for Uber instead?
ProfLA

Post by ProfLA »

0.147% overall.

Further breakdown:

Fixed income 36 % of portfolio ER 0.29 (Have some actively managed bonds, munis with relatively high ER's)
International equities 17 % of portfolio ER 0.11
Domestic equities 48 % of portfolio ER 0.05
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

delete
Last edited by hushpuppy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Two dogs are better than one. One dog needs to have at least one companion that can consistently measure up to standards. Humans need not apply.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 am
Wow! How did you get it so low?
Posting was a little dweebish of me. It's not fair to compare me with others posting because I'm very new at this. Right now I hold almost 100% US stocks, mostly in institutional shares through my 403(b). The bondish part of my portfolio (low risk/certain return/fixed income) is currently coming from paying off debt. When that's gone (and I start acquiring bonds) and as I slowly move towards my goal of 70/30 US/intl equities, my AA will change and I guesstimate I'll be 0.05-0.07 like many others posting.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

.65%.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Veiled wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 am
Wow! How did you get it so low?
Posting was a little dweebish of me. It's not fair to compare me with others posting because I'm very new at this. Right now I hold almost 100% US stocks, mostly in institutional shares through my 403(b). The bondish part of my portfolio (low risk/certain return/fixed income) is currently coming from paying off debt. When that's gone (and I start acquiring bonds) and as I slowly move towards my goal of 70/30 US/intl equities, my AA will change and I guesstimate I'll be 0.05-0.07 like many others posting.
Congratulations on starting out on the right foot! Many if not most of us didn't know about the importance of expense ratios when we started investing and/or didn't have very low cost funds available to us. Having the knowledge, opportunity and ability to build a low cost portfolio from the beginning is a huge advantage and it sounds as if you're taking full advantage.
slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady »

0.11 (according to SigFig)

Highest ER in our portfolio is 0.54.
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I am trying to convince my friend with a larger portfolio than myself that fees matter. He is in denial.

I am hoping he will see the light soon. His portfolio is underperforming due to excessive cash holdings.
He quotes returns based on the 57% invested in stocks, ignoring the 43% in cash.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

StevieG72 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:50 am .06

I am trying to convince my friend with a larger portfolio than myself that fees matter. He is in denial.

I am hoping he will see the light soon. His portfolio is underperforming due to excessive cash holdings.
He quotes returns based on the 57% invested in stocks, ignoring the 43% in cash.
I tried the same with my friend. I had to drop the subject entirely. They can get defensive. Be careful.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

0.37% per Morningstar X-ray
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

lostdog wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:03 am

I tried the same with my friend. I had to drop the subject entirely. They can get defensive. Be careful.
You are of course correct about the damage done by high fees, and about cash drag.

But it's often best to keep quiet unless asked for advice. At most just mention what you do without argument.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

lostdog wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:03 am

+1
I've yet to meet anyone that asks for let alone accepts any tips or suggestion, or even hints.
Defensive to argumentative. Ego is human nature. The need to be "right".
I no longer talk about investment finance except to those that are equally interest in learning more about it.
j
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Kenkat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 am 0.37% per Morningstar X-ray
How did you get it so low?
j
Ant7

Post by Ant7 »

0.028% is the weighted average ( below 3 bp)

0.01% for S&P500 fund in her 401k (plan with large investment bank)
0.038% for international fund (MSCI ACWI ex-US) in his 401k (plan with different large investment bank)
0.04% for Vanguard's total market (VTSAX) in our IRA accounts

In last 3 years the ER for S&P500 fund in both of ours 401k plans dropped from 0.06%/0.08% to 0.01% :happy
Last edited by Ant7 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

0.18% Sliced and Diced.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

.085%. Helped by TSP, hurt by muni-bonds and Wellington (both of which have very large requirements for Admiral shares). Considering slicing out Emerging Markets to use lower cost international TSP funds (yes, I realize indexes are not quite aligned to make that easy) and seek to do more TLH in the more volatile portion. Might let me get costs a little lower at the same time ...
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

Mine is about 12 basis points with a slice and dice approach, close to 50% of equities are international, and I factor in trading costs of ETFs within my 401k brokerage link.

I'm satisfied. I think one day I could get it under 10 basis points as the index fund price wars rage on.
midareff

Post by midareff »

It's .14% due to some Fidelity Sector Funds I play with in a Roth which are up about 40% YTD..