Windfall and advice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
letsgobobby

Re: Windfall and advice

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

Well you have your mind made up on a FA so do that for now till you realize you don't need them. I do rebalance once a year (4th of July Independence Day) but have never rebalanced just changed where contributions go till it is where I want it.

DCA of the windfall, Vanguard has a white paper on this that shows it is better to just dump it all in at once which is what I do. This year alone I just dumped $400K+ all at once and it has done well.

One other thing I would do is go over to White Coat Investor and ask the same question on their form to see what other Docs think.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
3funder

Post by 3funder »

If I were in your shoes, I would immediately pay off the mortgage and student loans. I would then invest the remainder according to my desired asset allocation. I understand that volatility can seem painful, but keep in mind that with no outstanding mortgage or student loan debt, you might not feel so jittery when the market drops. Don't bother with an advisor. You can do this.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.