TD Ameritrade Performance Tracking

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
jbow44

TD Ameritrade Performance Tracking

Post by jbow44 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Hello,

I have a self-directed-brokerage-account through TD Ameritrade from my wife's employer where we contribute into a Roth. We opened the account in January and have made regular contributions since. I inquired on their client services messaging system about where I can determine the performance of the portfolio as a whole for various time periods i.e. past 3 months, YTD etc. This was the response:

"Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. Unfortunately we do not have a feature on the site which allows you to see your overall rate of return for a given time period. You can compare the account valuation by viewing monthly statements which can be located by clicking on 'My Account' and in the sub-menu under 'History & Statements' click 'Statements'.

You can also view the performance of each of your securities individually over a given time period on their profile page. You can access the profile page by entering the symbol in the search field in the upper right corner or just clicking on the symbol when viewing your positions list. On the profile page you can see a chart that shows the performance of the security over the time period you select."

Does this seem right? Isn't your rate of return of the portfolio the most basic metric of performance?

I'm new to TDA so if I'm missing something please point out my ignorance.

Thanks.

livesoft

Re: TD Ameritrade Performance Tracking

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Long-time TDAm client here. I've never seen nor tried to see total return over time on the TDam web site. Gains/losses both realized and unrealized can be seen.

I use MS Money instead for performance tracking.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jbow44

Post by jbow44 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:50 pm
Long-time TDAm client here. I've never seen nor tried to see total return over time on the TDam web site. Gains/losses both realized and unrealized can be seen.

I use MS Money instead for performance tracking.
Ok. So another stupid question. Since I am buy & hold investing and simply buy more ETF's as per my asset allocation dictates, by viewing the unrealized gains and it's tally at the bottom (basically the totals) would that approximate the overall performance? I'm not real clear on realized vs. unrealized gains.

I see you can filter to YTD, and that metric would be sufficient for my curiosity purposes.

Thanks.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 pm

No. A significant part of total return includes dividends and cap gains distributions which are not shown on that web page.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:30 pm

jbow44 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:40 pm
I have a self-directed-brokerage-account through TD Ameritrade from my wife's employer where we contribute into a Roth.
FYI, an IRA (either Roth or traditional) is maintained by you. Your/spouse's employer has nothing to do with that account, but they may be doing your wife a "favor" by doing payroll withholding and sending it to TDA to invest as you have already instructed them.

This is the same thing as if you had the paycheck with the Roth contribution put into a checking account and set up automatic withdrawals from the checking account to the IRA. That doesn't involve an employer either.

Dovahkiin

Post by Dovahkiin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am

I have a taxable TD Ameritrade account and it is unfortunate they don't give you tools or graphs to track your return easier. I'm using Personal Capital to track the account and all my other accounts. It's great as it shows me my personal return and I can compare it to the S&P 500.

jbow44

Post by jbow44 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:30 am

Dovahkiin wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:54 am
I have a taxable TD Ameritrade account and it is unfortunate they don't give you tools or graphs to track your return easier. I'm using Personal Capital to track the account and all my other accounts. It's great as it shows me my personal return and I can compare it to the S&P 500.
Thanks. I'll have to investigate that.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 am

The reason most brokerages don't provide this info is to prevent the average non-BH investor from realizing how lousy his annual performance is.

jbow44

Post by jbow44 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:19 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 am
The reason most brokerages don't provide this info is to prevent the average non-BH investor from realizing how lousy his annual performance is.

Hard to argue with reason.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 am

If you select "POSITIONS" from MyAccount, you can see gain/loss for each holding. However those numbers are from the first day you held the position. It will reflect dividends, etc if you reinvested them, otherwise, they'll be in the "cash account".

A simple spreadsheet is probably the best way to track performance.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 am

pshonore wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 am
If you select "POSITIONS" from MyAccount, you can see gain/loss for each holding. However those numbers are from the first day you held the position. It will reflect dividends, etc if you reinvested them, otherwise, they'll be in the "cash account".
Are you sure? I don't believe that is true. I think one can readily see that with a bond ETF that pays monthly dividends.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 am
pshonore wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 am
Are you sure? I don't believe that is true. I think one can readily see that with a bond ETF that pays monthly dividends.
The POSITIONS page shows all holdings as well as cash. Unfortunately, I sold all my TD holdings that were reinvested so I can't say this with absolute certainty but I find it difficult to envison a broker that would not include shares resulting from reinvestment in the totals for a given security be it an individual stock, ETF or mutual fund. Where do you think they would be?

I buy 100 shares of X. A few months it pays a dividend which is reinvested. My holdings now show 100.xx shares of X.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 pm

pshonore wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 am
I buy 100 shares of X. A few months it pays a dividend which is reinvested. My holdings now show 100.xx shares of X.
Yes, that happens, but that's not a perforrmance number which takes into account dates and additional buys and sells like XIRR() algorithm does.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:05 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 pm
pshonore wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 am
Yes, that happens, but that's not a perforrmance number which takes into account dates and additional buys and sells like XIRR() algorithm does.
No argument about that; unlike Fido which shows XIRR for each account as far back as 1/31/2003