Moving Money, Single to Mutual

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
OneRad1

Moving Money, Single to Mutual

Post by OneRad1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 am

Hi,

I am looking for advice. Here is some basic info, 49 and have 3 specific stocks I think I should look at consolidating and moving: about $70k in PHG, $25k in JFRDX and $25k in JANVX. These are not retirement accounts. The PHG was bought at various prices as low as $20 a share. It is trading today at almost $41.50. I am thinking of moving some or most to Vanguard Total Stock Market (VTSMX) and Vanguard Total International (VGTSX). Yes I know I have too much in a single stock. However, it is employee plan and bought at discount so has been a good deal.

Thoughts?

Thank You

Duckie

Re: Moving Money, Single to Mutual

Post by Duckie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:37 pm

OneRad1, welcome to the forum.
OneRad1 wrote:Thoughts?
Since these are not in a tax-sheltered account, have you figured what your gains are and thus your taxes will be when you sell?

ZWorkLess

Post by ZWorkLess » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 pm

If you have a lot of gains . . .

One small trick I used many moons ago . . . when I had a large amount of all-gains stock since the entire sale amount was essentially capital gains as the basis was like 2c/share and it was selling at around $100/share. . .

. . . was to transfer a bit of it to each of our kids, and then sell a bit of it each year (enough to be under the threshold where it'd be taxed) and then move it to college savings accounts . . . If you have kids or even nieces/nephews/grands/whoever that you like to be generous with, you might look into that for some of it. I did it in the early 90s, and I think I could sell $600 tax free for each kid each year . . . I'm sure the rules are very different now, but would be worth investigating. Some quick googling tells me that the number is now somewhere between $1000 and $2000 per kid per year. It didn't seem like a lot back then, but nearly 20 years later, those little accounts have nice nest eggs that are definitely helping a bit with college.

If you do any substantial charitable giving, look into giving your appreciated stock each year instead of cash. I haven't done this, but I know my mom did. My (very much not expert, please confirm!) understanding was that, say you give $5000 in value of stock to the charity. You get the full $5000 tax deduction, and the charity can then sell it and get the full value, no taxes ever paid.

Again, please confirm that with your tax advisor!

OneRad1

Post by OneRad1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 am

Thank You. I will continue to research.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 pm

With regards to the PHG, my advice would rest on how much of your portfolio this is. If 70k is half of your portfolio I would sell as soon as you reasonably can; the tax cost is worth the risk reduction to me. If its more like 2% it doesn't matter at all, and you can explore various ways to reduce the tax burden. If you're low income you might not pay taxes on long-term capital gains. If you're high-income you might consider donating.

ThrustVectoring

Post by ThrustVectoring » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:02 pm

ZWorkLess wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 pm
If you do any substantial charitable giving, look into giving your appreciated stock each year instead of cash. I haven't done this, but I know my mom did. My (very much not expert, please confirm!) understanding was that, say you give $5000 in value of stock to the charity. You get the full $5000 tax deduction, and the charity can then sell it and get the full value, no taxes ever paid.
If you have $5000 worth of stock that you donate, you both get to deduct $5000 from your income as well as forgo paying capital gains on the appreciated stock. If you're already planning donations to charity, donating your unrealized capital gains is a fantastic choice.

ZWorkLess

Post by ZWorkLess » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:19 pm

ThrustVectoring wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:02 pm
ZWorkLess wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:01 pm
If you have $5000 worth of stock that you donate, you both get to deduct $5000 from your income as well as forgo paying capital gains on the appreciated stock. If you're already planning donations to charity, donating your unrealized capital gains is a fantastic choice.
Exactly. You worded it much more clearly than I did. Thank you. :)

OneRad1

Post by OneRad1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 am

Thank You!!