Buying shares directly from companies [non-US citizen buying non-US shares]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Rubicon77

Buying shares directly from companies [non-US citizen buying non-US shares]

Post by Rubicon77 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 am

Hi, I'm aware that one can do this on www.computershare.com but they seem to only accept US citizens. I want to buy shares from non-US companies directly, ie not through a stock broker.
Anybody know which companies allow that and how to buy them?

Valuethinker

Re: Buying shares directly from companies [non-US citizen buying non-US shares]

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:59 am

Rubicon77 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 am
Hi, I'm aware that one can do this on www.computershare.com but they seem to only accept US citizens. I want to buy shares from non-US companies directly, ie not through a stock broker.
Anybody know which companies allow that and how to buy them?
In the UK this could trigger a nightmare of legal problems for the company -- there are quite strict rules about selling stocks to individuals.

I imagine this varies by country.

If it is a stock market listed company I think they would just not. You'd have to talk to their investor relations department. Probably they would tell you to get an account with a stockbroker.

If it is a private company then the thing really gets murky. There is crowdfunding and there are crowdfunding sites. One certainly sees offers for shares (and bonds) from private companies. So it can be done. But I think you'd have to be UK resident.