Best book for planning your retirement?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Petrocelli

Best book for planning your retirement?

Post by Petrocelli » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:14 pm

I am planning on retiring in about 10 years and figure I better start planning the details now.

If you could recommend one book on retirement, what would it be?

Thanks!
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

livesoft

Re: Best book for planning your retirement?

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 pm

At least when thinking about withdrawal rate, I would recommend this "e-book":
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/12/ ... t-1-intro/
because it covers all the other books and studies in a clear way. So read this one first.

As for the financial stuff:
Jane Bryant Quinn's "How to Make Your Money Last"

As for philosophy of life, you are on your own, but I hope you choose to live the soft life.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:17 am

Petrocelli wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:14 pm
I am planning on retiring in about 10 years and figure I better start planning the details now.

If you could recommend one book on retirement, what would it be?

Thanks!
Are you a season ticket holder?? If you are awesome. I love that stadium. That is a great way to spend retirement. Red Sox Games.

I read the recommended book by livesoft. Janes Quinn book is good read.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 pm
because it covers all the other books and studies in a clear way. So read this one first.

As for philosophy of life, you are on your own, but I hope you choose to live the soft life.
Could you explain to me the meaning of this

Thanks

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 am

Quinn's book is good although I found it a little disjointed. It covers a lot of information but, IMO, is lacking in guiding you through a planning process.

Another book I liked better was "Control Your Retirement Destiny" by Dana Anspach. It provides more details about retirement planning. She is not as folksy as Quinn but provides good advice and more depth to this topic. She does a better job of guiding you through the retirement planning process. She has a chapter on tax planning that is very good. It is obvious from her book that she does financial planning for a living (that is a good thing!).
Last edited by carolinaman on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southport

Post by southport » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:46 am

"The Boglehead's Guide to Retirement Planning" is marvelous, written by a variety of authors who frequent this forum.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 am

southport wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:46 am
"The Boglehead's Guide to Retirement Planning" is marvelous, written by a variety of authors who frequent this forum.
That's my suggestion as well.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

EEEguy

Post by EEEguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 am
livesoft wrote:

Could you explain to me the meaning of this

Thanks
I think the answer to your question can be found in the author of that sentences name... :happy
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

EEEguy

Post by EEEguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:45 am

livesoft wrote:

Thanks for these resources, livesoft. I am really impressed with the e-book.

EEE
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:15 am

Please correct me Petro, but believe you have an impressive networth. If so, does anyone have retirement books geared to those with 5+ million. There are some separate issues mainly tax smart planning. Stuff like Roth conversions prior to collecting SS, how to minimize RMD, estate planning, etc..?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:50 am

^I think all those issues apply to folks who don't have $5+ million. Seriously, everyone can benefit from tax smart planning.

I haven't seen a book for such folks that wasn't written by a life insurance company pushing poor products.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Davistax

Post by Davistax » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Control Your Retirement Destiny, by Dana Ansbach

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1GUCJQ/re ... TF8&btkr=1

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:54 pm

livesoft wrote:

Thanks so much for your response. I will check it out.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:55 pm

southport wrote:
Thanks so much. I will check it out.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:02 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 am

Another book I liked better was "Control Your Retirement Destiny" by Dana Anspach. It provides more details about retirement planning. She is not as folksy as Quinn but provides good advice and more depth to this topic. She does a better job of guiding you through the retirement planning process. She has a chapter on tax planning that is very good. It is obvious from her book that she does financial planning for a living (that is a good thing!).
Thanks so much. I will check it out.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Stay the course wrote:
Please correct me Petro, but believe you have an impressive networth. If so, does anyone have retirement books geared to those with 5+ million. There are some separate issues mainly tax smart planning. Stuff like Roth conversions prior to collecting SS, how to minimize RMD, estate planning, etc..?
Quinn's book, How to Make Your Money Last, is much like the title implies. If your resources are tight, this is a must read. If that is not one's situation, The BH Guide to Retirement Planning is indeed a good read. Full disclosure, I'm one of the chapter authors.

I would also recommend Ed Slott's Your Complete Retirement Planning Road Map which looks more closly at tax planning and estate planning.

A very good read if you are wondering what you want to do with the rest of your life is What Color is Your Parachute in Retirement. This is less about financial issues and more about exploring what you want to do in retirement and making sure you have the finances to support those activities.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Quinn's book, How to Make Your Money Last, is much like the title implies. If your resources are tight, this is a must read. If that is not one's situation, The BH Guide to Retirement Planning is indeed a good read. Full disclosure, I'm one of the chapter authors.

I would also recommend Ed Slott's Your Complete Retirement Planning Road Map which looks more closly at tax planning and estate planning.

A very good read if you are wondering what you want to do with the rest of your life is What Color is Your Parachute in Retirement. This is less about financial issues and more about exploring what you want to do in retirement and making sure you have the finances to support those activities.
Thanks for the recommendations!

I am on a waiting list to get the books from the library, and will report back.

Nekrotok

Post by Nekrotok » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 pm

southport wrote:
I bought this book and it wasn't what I hoped it would be. It's more of a guided tour to retirement than a strategy guide to retirement. It introduces and generally defines stuff like 401k, IRA, SPIA, etc but it doesn't provide guidance about how to decide how much of each to use. I'm not sure if the authors we're concerned about people misunderstanding or if it was due to the way each topic had a different author that there was little guidance on how to put an overall plan together.

Imo, lurking the forums here and browsing the wiki were more instructive.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am

Nekrotok wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 pm
southport wrote:
I bought this book and it wasn't what I hoped it would be. It's more of a guided tour to retirement than a strategy guide to retirement. It introduces and generally defines stuff like 401k, IRA, SPIA, etc but it doesn't provide guidance about how to decide how much of each to use. I'm not sure if the authors we're concerned about people misunderstanding or if it was due to the way each topic had a different author that there was little guidance on how to put an overall plan together.

Imo, lurking the forums here and browsing the wiki were more instructive.
I thought that The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning was a good general overview of most of the subjects which I needed to consider in planning for retirement. A detailed study of all of those subjects requires a library, that's not possible in a single book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Robert The Bruce

Post by Robert The Bruce » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Petro!
I have to ask - what kind of planning do you think you might need to do 10 years out?

Thks!
The stone age didn't end for lack of stone.

Levett

Post by Levett » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 am

Daniel Klein, Travels with Epicurus.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087GJ208/re ... merReviews

Lev