Investment Advice Needed.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
silverlitegs

Investment Advice Needed.

Post by silverlitegs » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Hello Bogleheads.

I'm seeking advice on what to do with a few non-taxable accounts I have. Currently I have two accounts with TD Ameritrade and one with vanguard. When I was younger I opened the TD Ameritrade account to try and actively trade stocks. As I got older, time became scarce and I have pretty much left my stocks alone at TD Ameritrade. One of my accounts is doing good and the other is getting by. Due to me having limited time I opened a vanguard account and started transferring liquid monies in to vanguard funds. I feel vanguard is the way to go.

Below are the stocks I have in TD Ameritrade in both accounts. My current strategy that Im pondering is to liquidated most of the below stocks and transfer them to vanguard and not worry about individual stocks. Or should I dump some of the stocks and buy ETFs through TD Ameritrade instead of vanguard?

Account 1
Symbol Qty
BMY 125
JNPR 100
FTNT 50
DIS 70
VOD 54
DX 400
SSEI.E1 7
PLG 30
CHK 100
SLB 35
VZ 26
XOM 50
T 100
CTL 100

Account 2 - one that is done good for now

Symbol Qty
VMW 26
CAT 25
KR 70
LEN 50
DX 450
WDC 11
NNA 200
PPG 30
VZ 40
PG 60
SKX 50

venkman

Re: Investment Advice Needed.

Post by venkman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 pm

silverlitegs wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:54 pm
I'm seeking advice on what to do with a few non-taxable accounts I have. Currently I have two accounts with TD Ameritrade and one with vanguard. When I was younger I opened the TD Ameritrade account to try and actively trade stocks. As I got older, time became scarce and I have pretty much left my stocks alone at TD Ameritrade. One of my accounts is doing good and the other is getting by. Due to me having limited time I opened a vanguard account and started transferring liquid monies in to vanguard funds. I feel vanguard is the way to go.

Below are the stocks I have in TD Ameritrade in both accounts. My current strategy that Im pondering is to liquidated most of the below stocks and transfer them to vanguard and not worry about individual stocks. Or should I dump some of the stocks and buy ETFs through TD Ameritrade instead of vanguard?
Did you mean these stocks are in taxable accounts, or they're in tax-advantaged retirement accounts? It makes a big difference.

If they're in taxable accounts, you're probably going to incur significant capital gains when you sell the stocks, and you'll owe CG taxes; so it may not be advisable to sell everything all at once.

If they're retirement accounts, you can sell everything and buy Vanguard funds without having to worry about capital gains; BUT make sure you don't actually withdraw any of the money. If you just sell the stocks, take out the money from TD, and deposit the money with Vanguard, it can cause all kinds of tax problems. You want to do an in-kind transfer to VG, where they will take custody of the account. You can then sell the stocks and use the proceeds to buy VG funds, all within that account.

The general idea of moving from individual stocks to low-cost VG funds is a good one. Just make sure you do it in a way that doesn't result in unwanted tax issues.

silverlitegs

Post by silverlitegs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 am

I meant to say the TD accounts are in a tax-advantaged retirement accounts. Also was looking to see if anyone can offer insight into the stock selection I currently have

galectin

Post by galectin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am

Since you say "I feel vanguard is the way to go.", I would do the transfer. If you have free trades at TDA or Vanguard do the liquidation at that place.

Personally, I have retirement and a brokerage account at TDA and have them invested in commission-free Vanguard ETFs with the same ER as Admiral funds. That would be another option, but I understand it if you want to consolidate at Vanguard.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am

I have a taxable at TDAmeritrade, as does my wife and a Roth for my son. To me, it's THE place to buy Vanguard ETFs because there's no cost (sign up for transaction free ETFs), the ER matches Vanguard Admiral MF = Vanguard ETF and of course you get the far better website and 24/7 support from TDA along with bick and mortar stores if you ever need them.

Ok, now with all that said, go onto TDA and look for Vanguard ETFs. I forget how I whittled down the parametric search ...... perhaps list by ER, low to high. Now sell all the crap you've got and buy a 3 fund using these Vanguard ETFs. There's no minimum, so you can buy one share of VTI if you'd like (my son owns 1 share of VTI).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:37 am

Welcome to the forum :) .
silverlitegs wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 am
I meant to say the TD accounts are in a tax-advantaged retirement accounts. Also was looking to see if anyone can offer insight into the stock selection I currently have
Go ahead and sell the stocks, sell while at TDAmeritrade if you have free trades there. Roll the account over to Vanguard and buy your Vanguard funds there. Just call Vanguard and they will help you with the transfer.

If someone wants to use Vanguard funds then in my opinion there is usually no good reason to hold them anywhere other than an account at Vanguard.

I have no opinion about the selection stocks you have. I do think it's wiser to use very diversified stock index funds, rather than hold stocks of individual companies.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:37 am
Welcome to the forum :) .
silverlitegs wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:45 am
Go ahead and sell the stocks, sell while at TDAmeritrade if you have free trades there. Roll the account over to Vanguard and buy your Vanguard funds there. Just call Vanguard and they will help you with the transfer.

If someone wants to use Vanguard funds then in my opinion there is usually no good reason to hold them anywhere other than an account at Vanguard.

I have no opinion about the selection stocks you have. I do think it's wiser to use very diversified stock index funds, rather than hold stocks of individual companies.
OP - No question in my mind that this is the best advice for you.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect