Park money for house down payment in HCOL area

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ashagru

Park money for house down payment in HCOL area

Post by ashagru »

Hi All: I am 6-12 months away from buying a house in a HCOL (Bay area). I currently have > $100k sitting in a savings account and would like to make it work for this time while taking "low to moderate" risk.

In a prior post, someone mentioned a combination of VWIUX & VCADX -- seems like a good choice. Does the group have other suggestions? Am I taking too much risk by parking the money here?

Thanks in advance.
retiredjg

Re: Park money for house down payment in HCOL area

Post by retiredjg »

I don't know the funds you listed (please include fund names), but money for a down payment should be saved, not invested. The exception is if you are willing and able to put the house off if the market does not go your way.

I would not park money in anything risker than a short term bond fund and that would only be part of my downpayment. The rest would be in money market and maybe CDs.
EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer »

retiredjg wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:51 pm I don't know the funds you listed (please include fund names), but money for a down payment should be saved, not invested. The exception is if you are willing and able to put the house off if the market does not go your way.

I would not park money in anything risker than a short term bond fund and that would only be part of my downpayment. The rest would be in money market and maybe CDs.
100%

Ashagru - Look at the 10 year chart of those funds. both of them have 3 downturns of roughly 8% in the last 10 years. Would you really risk an 8% downturn for the chance to make 1-2.5%? I would much prefer a 1% high yield savings account with FDIC insurance and zero chance of downturns.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius
runner23

Post by runner23 »

I am in a similar boat and have $75k sitting in 3 separate $25k 11 month no EWP CDs at Ally yielding 1.5%. I have looked at ST bonds too but the incremental return, if any, isn't worth the risk to me. In the grand sceem of things, a small increase will not allow me to purchase the house faster and I'm not getting killed on inflation.
bligh

Post by bligh »

ashagru wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm Hi All: I am 6-12 months away from buying a house in a HCOL (Bay area). I currently have > $100k sitting in a savings account and would like to make it work for this time while taking "low to moderate" risk.

In a prior post, someone mentioned a combination of VWIUX & VCADX -- seems like a good choice. Does the group have other suggestions? Am I taking too much risk by parking the money here?

Thanks in advance.
6 months is too short a time frame for those funds. If you must, at the very least go with a limited term or short term tax exempt fund. Or stick with a savings account.

Having said that, a lot of people have flexible time frames for the purchase of their house. Ie. A house purchase can easily be delayed by a year or several years if the market takes a dive. In such a case, you could get away with an intermediate term fund.
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

I agree you should not invest the money. CDs and online savings accounts are fine.

Something important to consider- in the 2007 financial crisis stocks and home prices both dropped. If such a thing occurs again you want your down payment money to stay flat so you can buy a home "on sale" and not have to wait.
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.