Healthequity HSA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
sanfran2015

Healthequity HSA

Post by sanfran2015 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 am

Does anyone have experience with Healthequity as an HSA provider? Their investment offering is not Boglehead friendly at all and they charge a fee for select VG funds. What funds are good investment options from their offering?

Kosmo

Re: Healthequity HSA

Post by Kosmo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:17 am

I have 2 HSA accounts with Health Equity (1 is in my wife's name). Both of our employers have agreements with them for direct deposit off contributions.

The fee to access Vanguard funds is 0.4% per year. Even when adding that to the fund expenses it's still less than the ERs of the active funds they offer for no additional fee. I invest everything over the min cash requirement in a mix of VIIIX, VBMPX, and VGSNX.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 am

My employer uses them. I'm guessing yours is also an employer plan as you'd otherwise have chosen a different provider.

Yes, they charge an extra fee for access to VG funds (0.3% annual in my account). But in my account that fee gets me access to institutional shares of key funds - TSM, TBM etc. Compared to not investing an HSA at all, it's still a benefit, and even with the extra fee I think the lowest cost VG options are the best choices available in the account. I'll definitely be moving it when I change jobs.

adptnt

Post by adptnt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am

Tamarind wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 am
My employer uses them. I'm guessing yours is also an employer plan as you'd otherwise have chosen a different provider.

Yes, they charge an extra fee for access to VG funds (0.3% annual in my account). But in my account that fee gets me access to institutional shares of key funds - TSM, TBM etc. Compared to not investing an HSA at all, it's still a benefit, and even with the extra fee I think the lowest cost VG options are the best choices available in the account. I'll definitely be moving it when I change jobs.
Where would you move it to? What are some better options that offer low cost funds without the added fees?

moneyman11

Post by moneyman11 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am

adptnt wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am
Tamarind wrote:

Where would you move it to? What are some better options that offer low cost funds without the added fees?
HSA Bank .... they give access to Ameritrade which gives access to commission free Vanguard ETFs.

My employer uses Health Equity. Every year I move a chunk to my HSA Bank account and invest it there.
Only downside is the need to keep $5k in cash at HSA Bank to avoid their monthly fee.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 am

moneyman11 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am
adptnt wrote:
Tamarind wrote:

HSA Bank .... they give access to Ameritrade which gives access to commission free Vanguard ETFs.

My employer uses Health Equity. Every year I move a chunk to my HSA Bank account and invest it there.
Only downside is the need to keep $5k in cash at HSA Bank to avoid their monthly fee.
Yes, or some other place based on my research when the time comes. I would prefer not to be forced to hold cash, as HealthEquity ($2k) and HSA Bank ($5k) do, since I have my own emergency fund to cover medical needs. I also dislike HE's added fee to access low cost index funds, but at least they transparent about it.

It's still better to have access to an HSA due to tax benefits, and the VG options are still cheaper than the non-VG options.

cas

Post by cas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:17 am

adptnt wrote:
Morningstar published a review of 10 prominent HSA vendors recently. Lots of information gathered in one place. Use you own judgement on whether the metrics they chose for evaluation apply to your specific situation or not (some of the metrics would seem to apply more to employers selecting an HSA vendor for a large number of employees with varying levels of investing knowledge and less to individual bogleheads.)

"2017 Health Savings Account Landscape" https://corporate1.morningstar.com/Rese ... landscape/

The Bogleheads wiki page on HSAs also has a summary of some HSA vendors. Also, there is a big "Best HSA (2017)" thread with various people's personal experiences/opinions with various HSAs viewtopic.php?t=207051

Silly Wabbit

Post by Silly Wabbit » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 am

I've had a good experience with health equity.

Health Equity offers low cost index funds and have a passable website. My employer covers the .4% annual, AUM fee while I'm an employee. Only $500 is required to be kept in cash.

I don't know about the spending account side of things; I don't spend HSA money on current health expenses.

When I leave my employer, I'll reassess to see if a lower cost option exists.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:23 pm

My HSA is with Health Equity due to my employer's choice. I've only recently started maxing it out, and I'll probably look into moving funds from it elsewhere about once a year, probably Saturna. An advantage of HE over some other custodians is that they don't charge anything for trades.

Keep in mind that Health Equity's ~40 bp fee would only be $80 a year for a $20k investment. So unless your HSA is large, I don't think it's worth losing sleep over it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

sanfran2015

Post by sanfran2015 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Kosmo wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:17 am
I have 2 HSA accounts with Health Equity (1 is in my wife's name). Both of our employers have agreements with them for direct deposit off contributions.

The fee to access Vanguard funds is 0.4% per year. Even when adding that to the fund expenses it's still less than the ERs of the active funds they offer for no additional fee. I invest everything over the min cash requirement in a mix of VIIIX, VBMPX, and VGSNX.
I picked these as well.

samorris74

Post by samorris74 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:34 am

I know that I am very late to this conversation but I will say that one decent thing that HE does is when they access the fee at least they take it out of the mandatory cash held in the account. Since they do it that way, you are getting the full return from your investments as the fee is not coming out of your investments but rather from the cash holdings (in other words, they are not selling your invested assets to cover the fee). As was already mentioned, in light of the above, it is nice to have access to the S&P at .02% expense ratio.

Here are the funds that I chose in HE with a 90/10 stock/bond split.

VIIIX = 48%
VEMPX = 12%
That creates a 60% allocation to US stocks at a ratio in line with the Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund.
VTPSX = 30%
VBMPX = 7%
VTABX = 3%

Also, it hasn't happened in awhile now but HE used to be very inconsistent with whether they were even charging me the assets based fee. I thought perhaps my employer was covering it. But then it would show up again. Lately they have been on top of the fees. Boo!

cookymonster

Post by cookymonster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:39 am

I moved my HSA balance from HE to Saturna and am pretty happy with the experience so far. It saves me about $35-$40 a year, but asset-based charges give me heartburn in principle, and those are only going to get worse as the HSA balance grows.