Tracking VG Muni Fund-indices intraday?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Edward Joseph

Tracking VG Muni Fund-indices intraday?

Post by Edward Joseph » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 am

I'm a long time Boglehead but first time poster.

One of the reasons I like etfs is because I can monitor movements in value during the course of the trading day.

I also own Vanguards Intermediate Term Tax Exempt Fund (VWIUX, VWITX) and the Limited Term Tax Exempt Fund (VMLUX, VMLTX) because VG's etf Muni is too long for my taste.

I noticed that the indices these two funds track do not have tickers that I can monitor during the course of the day to track movement. I also know that ishares have two similar etfs (MUB and SUB) which I can use as a benchmark. However these two etfs correlation to the two Vanguard funds is only .88 and .72 over the last 10 years.

I hate to be a perfectionist but are there any more closely correlated etfs or indices that I can monitor over the course of the trading day? Thanks!

Geologist

Re: Tracking VG Muni Fund-indices intraday?

Post by Geologist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 am

This doesn't really answer your question, but I was wondering why you cared about fluctuations (or supposed fluctuations, see below) in value of municipal bond funds during the course of the day.

The reason I say supposed fluctuations is that most municipal bonds hardly trade, so that only approximate changes can be applied to their value over the course of the day.

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 am

I don't have a huge need to see daily fluctuations. When there's big news or market events I sometimes just like to see how things move in relation to my equity positions for diversification purposes. Also, I'm buy and hold so I'm not trying to time anything (not that you can anyway with mutual funds).

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Edward Joseph wrote:I don't have a huge need to see daily fluctuations. When there's big news or
market events I sometimes just like to see how things move in relation to my equity positions for diversification purposes. Also, I'm buy and hold so I'm not trying to time anything (not that you can anyway with mutual funds).
Relative change. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so you can use any muni ETF/index for a relative look.

Absolute change. I own VWIUX, VWLUX, and a single-state muni. When I buy any I record its purchase immediately in an Excel spreadsheet. I record the entry using the last known NAV and update it after close of business on the transaction date. Don't recall seeing a daily price difference of more than 3-cents* over past 10yrs. (* There could have been one, it just didn’t happen on the days I bought---when I was paying more attention.)

Bottom line. The absolute muni daily price moves are insignificant, so intra-day index price moves should be equally so. And if you only need a relative look, then any close ETF/index should work fine.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 am

Ok. Thanks! Good to know. I'm probably overthinking things, anyway.