Burned out at 28. Do I have enough?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
petulant

Re: Burned out at 28. Do I have enough?

Post by petulant » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:50 am

I see Oklahoma and oil. I'm an attorney in the OKC area with friends at Devon, Chesapeake, Continental, etc. Without knowing where you work or what you do specifically, is there any chance you could move between them? For example, a friend of mine at Continental travels a lot and stays very busy, but my Devon friends do not--but they're all petroleum engineers. You might be able to keep a lot about your profession and just move.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am

It sounds like you should make a change, but I recommend a deliberate and thoughtful approach to finding your next position. Stressful jobs can take their toll and deprive you of any quality of life. I am not sure what your alternative job opportunities may be because you did not provide any background info on your skills, experience, etc. I suggest doing some thinking about your long term career and determine what your best options would be.

A $50k job may be fine for you now provided you do not spend a lot more money with your new found spare time. However, it will likely be inadequate if/when you have a family.

I took a 33% pay cut one time to get out of a stressful job. It proved to be a great long term move because the new job provided better quality of life and career growth opportunities. BTW, the new job had stress too but it was more manageable. Best wishes.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:23 am

Petroljunkie wrote: Consequently, I am mulling over the idea of exiting my current job very soon, and will more than likely explore substantially lower paying career fields (e.g. 50K salary).

State of Residence: OK
I realized that we were all missing something here important.

The OP is is Oklahoma which would likely qualify as being a very low cost of living area.

It wouldn't be the "lifestyles of the rich and famous" but in a very low cost of living area a $50K a year job with benefits could be a pretty comfortable and even above average income for someone that is single and in their late 20's especially if there is the potential for growth when he or she gets more experience in that field.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ok.htm

If the OP eventually gets married to someone making a similar income then then they could live a very well off of lifestyle in Oklahoma.

With that in mind making the the change sounds more reasonable.

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 am

I several times passed up promotions because I didn't think the extra money would be worth the X slice of my life that it would cost. I also never embraced a real "career" because I wanted to be a writer. Now I am a writer.

How you spend your days is how you spend your life.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 am

OP, out of curiosity, how much are you able to save and invest every year in your current role?

coldday

Post by coldday » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am

Only you can assess the level of stress your job brings, so all the advice we can give you is a shot in the dark based on how stressful we think your life sounds.

Only you know how much this job is taking out of you, compared with another, or how much you will mind working for less money. But life is short and there are other important things - health and time for loved ones (and time to find loved ones!). Think it through and then do what is best for you.
Last edited by coldday on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:31 am

I fall in the "life is too short" crowd. I was burned out on my first career at 25. I didn't save often. I spent most of my money back then. I moved to Europe to teach English for a year. I think I had about $10k saved at the time, and it was used to pay commitments back home. I spent my last $$ on a plane ticket home, and moved back with my parents for a few months to save a few thousand to get back on my feet. Back then, no large commitments.

When I got back home, I did have to "start over" in my field to gain meaningful employment, but I was back up and running in 6 months. Other than being a little nervous in those first 6 months back, I don't think I've ever 2nd guessed my decision.

That may not be the path you want, but I would guess there is something you want to do. You have set yourself up nicely at your age. Take a few months off, enjoy a small piece of the nest egg you have built, and recharge your batteries.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:32 am

PJ,

No you don't have enough. And at age 28 your not burned out pawdnaahhh at least in my humble opinion.

As others have said, and I agree, your single and do not have a family.....yet. Now is the time to get some hankerings out of the way....travel cheap, chase the ladies, play some pokerzzz, dive with the sharks, do some back country hiking in the wild, do some stupid stuff... - now is the time......

Then come back to work and get back to the grind.

Life is short - I just hit 40 years in the oilfields and still working.....7 days a week oversea's.....it's a grind for sure.

You have a great opportunity young man.....hope you look back in about 30 years and say to yourself that "I'm dam glad I did so and so....."

And if you find a sweet gal to share your life with .....thats ok too.

As GD hard as the oilfield life has been - I would not change a thang as it is how I have supported my sweet wife and family....just seems like afew days ago that I met her when she was barely 17 years old and she set the hooks deep in me.....but thats just me. I thank God every day for her.

You have adventures ahead - enjoy them.... no regrets...
gamboolman

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:42 am

Look all over the country for a new job that suits you. Especially try for a federal job (or some other gov't job).

Try looking in the Washington DC area, a job-rich area. Even if it's not a gov't job, most other jobs are gov't-related and could lead to one later, and then you have hit the jackpot for jobs.

At 28 with decent work experience you should be in demand. So now at this age is the ideal time to do this. Don't wait until you are 35 and starting to look stale in the eyes of employers.

Again, do this while you are employed (use vacation time or any time off for interviews/travelling to job locations).
See if this works, although it may take a year or so.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 pm

Plenty of people live a great life making less, you don't have to deal with the higher paying job if you don't want to. It's up to you, don't need approval from this board. If you had a spouse then their input would matter but you're single.

The fact that you have a good head start is great but not a prerequisite to a career change, there is no 'enough'.

To the 'life is hard, deal with it' crowd, maybe they have to based on the lifestyle they've chosen for themselves, but you don't.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm

You don't need a six figure income, but it does afford certain freedoms. It is possible to make six figures without being miserable. It could even be possible without a career change. Take some time off. I recommend three weeks. Go someplace you'll enjoy. Have some down time and reflect. Then decide.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:49 pm

You remind me of myself, albeit my work situation is a bit better in terms of hours and travel.

I believe you are in a great spot to take some time off to decompress, downshift into something less stressful and time intensive. You may be surprised that you are able to find something north of $50k but maybe not what you currently make.

As others have pointed out, if you do nothing to your portfolio till retirement age you should be able to retire fairly comfortably.

I would just make sure you get at least 40 social security credits. (just incase anything exists when our generation gets to 65+)

I'm 2 years your senior with a very similar net worth ($310k) and have the itch to downshift from my $120-150k/yr gig and do something along the lines of $50-60k with less stress and no cubicle. I feel comfortable that with another $10-20k/yr in contributions over the next decade or two, that will grow to well over a $1M by the time I'm 50.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:54 pm

I removed a number of off-topic posts which derailed the thread, continuity is lost. This thread has run its course and is locked. See: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

...At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.