Investing from foreign countries (Greece)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
manos-94

Investing from foreign countries (Greece)

Post by manos-94 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 am

Hello, new member here. Thanks for the awesome forum.

I live in Greece (yeah, i know). :oops:

In the big three, vanguard, blackrock and ssga there is no option for my country to choose.

How can I still invest in those companies? Thank you

TedSwippet

Re: Investing from foreign countries (Greece)

Post by TedSwippet » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Welcome.
manos-94 wrote:In the big three, vanguard, blackrock and ssga there is no option for my country to choose. ... How can I still invest in those companies?
You should be able to buy Ireland-domiciled UCITS ETFs from any of Vanguard, Blackrock (as iShares) or SSGA (as SPDR) quite easily. As far as I know all of these trade on the LSE, and several also on other EU exchanges (for example, Euronext).

You just need to find a local brokerage or platform that gets you access to the necessary European exchange for these ETFs.

Valuethinker

Re: Investing from foreign countries (Greece)

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:14 pm

TedSwippet wrote:Welcome.
manos-94 wrote:In the big three, vanguard, blackrock and ssga there is no option for my country to choose. ... How can I still invest in those companies?
You should be able to buy Ireland-domiciled UCITS ETFs from any of Vanguard, Blackrock (as iShares) or SSGA (as SPDR) quite easily. As far as I know all of these trade on the LSE, and several also on other EU exchanges (for example, Euronext).

You just need to find a local brokerage or platform that gets you access to the necessary European exchange for these ETFs.
As per Ted, above, under EU law investors should be able to invest in funds that are legal in any EU country, from any other EU country. However tax issues vary by country.

In practice the easiest way to do so is usually to buy ETFs listed on a EU recognized exchange such as Dublin or Luxembourg. To do that, OP needs to open a brokerage account.

It should be emphasized that taxes are important in the choice of fund and location of issue. For some countries one only wants Accumulation units, so that no tax is payable on distributions. For others, the absolute opposite is true, because you pay tax on the gains in the fund even if they are distributed.