Investing in Thai stock market as expat

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
txranger

Investing in Thai stock market as expat

Post by txranger » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:04 am

Is it worth investing in stock market as expat in Thailand via a us brockerage via THD etf. I d like some exposure to Thai baht. Or keep it simple and stick to ixus/vxus?
Would investing overseas make sense to preserve USD spending power now? How much should an expat be invested overseas vs US market?
Tnx

sschullo

Re: Investing in Thai stock market as expat

Post by sschullo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:33 am

I read the authors first book, but not this one which might help you as an expat investor: https://www.amazon.com/Global-Expatriat ... dp_product
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

knick17

Post by knick17 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:23 am

Does it have anything to do with immigration papers and work permits?

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am

I've always felt 50-50 is a nice way do it. You won't really care if the USD strengthens or weakens that way.

Anyway, it's a little hard to predict what will happen.

I don't see any need to invest in anything other than normal ETFs. Even if it's a USD denominated fund, you still have the currency exposure from the underlying stocks. If 50% foreign equities is too much, perhaps you could hold fixed income in the local currency.

Personally I'd be leery about having too much in a small currency.

I'm about 40% non-USD which is less than I would like now but then again probably will spend more USD in retirement. Who knows.

coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:28 am

Love Thailand and have spent time there as well. Are you retired in Thailand or working?

To your question. Maybe instead of stocks in Thailand you could own some property (but I think the law still requires you to go through a Thai citizen, someone you trust).

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am

coupleofcents wrote:Love Thailand and have spent time there as well. Are you retired in Thailand or working?

To your question. Maybe instead of stocks in Thailand you could own some property (but I think the law still requires you to go through a Thai citizen, someone you trust).
This would be a much better hedge. The political uncertainty makes Thailand a tough place to invest in. Property is a better idea, but I still think too risky because valuations are high compared to renting (at least in Bangkok where I live). If you intend to stay a long time it's not a bad idea though, and buying a condo is easy. Land is more difficult but can be done.