Reduce MAGI

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Mr_wynx

Reduce MAGI

Postby Mr_wynx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello,

I am on track to make $105 this year, making maximum contributions to 401k and HSA. Full-time grad student and filing single; not a homeowner. I am interested in learning about possible strategies for reducing my MAGI to enable deductions for education expenses and student loan interest payments. By my calculations, my MAGI is going to be $84K for this year, so close enough to the $80K limit where deductions become possible.

Opening an IRA might be a good idea, but does not address the problem above. I've considered starting a 529 plan, since I do plan to have children, but not in the immediate future. Using a 529 in that situation doesn't seem like the smartest choice. Do other alternatives come to mind?

TBillT

Re: Reduce MAGI

Postby TBillT » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 am

Sounds like you may already be minimizing to the extent possible, but to check that, you could use Turbo Tax to explore if there are other deductions.
I am using itemized deductions, reversal of IRA withdrawals within 60 days, tax loss harvesting, making IRA contributions, to reduce my MAGI. SEP IRA would be something to look at if self-employed, but we do not know your situation. If you are planning a new plug-in car, I do not think that will reduce MAGI, but you can get up to $7500 federal tax credit and many states allow further deductions.

blueberry

Postby blueberry » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 am

Is it a state university, and maybe you have access to deferred compensation?

Chadnudj

Postby Chadnudj » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 am

Mr_wynx wrote:Hello,

I am on track to make $105 this year, making maximum contributions to 401k and HSA. Full-time grad student and filing single; not a homeowner. I am interested in learning about possible strategies for reducing my MAGI to enable deductions for education expenses and student loan interest payments. By my calculations, my MAGI is going to be $84K for this year, so close enough to the $80K limit where deductions become possible.

Opening an IRA might be a good idea, but does not address the problem above. I've considered starting a 529 plan, since I do plan to have children, but not in the immediate future. Using a 529 in that situation doesn't seem like the smartest choice. Do other alternatives come to mind?

I'm fairly certain a 529 will not affect your MAGI at all -- 529's can affect your state tax (by being deductible), but not your federal taxes at all.

Tax loss harvesting?

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:08 am

I believe the Student Loan interest deduction starts phasing out at 65K and is totally gone at 80K for a single filer. Getting your MAGI to 75K will allow a small deduction but might not be worth the trouble.

LSLover

Postby LSLover » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:14 am

TBillT wrote:Sounds like you may already be minimizing to the extent possible, but to check that, you could use Turbo Tax to explore if there are other deductions.
I am using itemized deductions, reversal of IRA withdrawals within 60 days, tax loss harvesting, making IRA contributions, to reduce my MAGI. SEP IRA would be something to look at if self-employed, but we do not know your situation. If you are planning a new plug-in car, I do not think that will reduce MAGI, but you can get up to $7500 federal tax credit and many states allow further deductions.

Itemizing deductions does not affect MAGI.

Mr_wynx

Postby Mr_wynx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! I hadn't considered potential for tax loss harvesting or deferred compensation beyond the obvious, but will do some more research around those.

Tyler Aspect

Postby Tyler Aspect » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:15 pm

You can buy out of money call options, but once capital gains cancels out you can only deduct $3000 per year. Interest income can be deferred by buying one year Treasury Bills.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

TBillT

Postby TBillT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:53 am

LSLover wrote:Itemizing deductions does not affect MAGI.

OK yes I stand corrected...I am trying to do 2 things: reduce MAGI and keep tax bracket lower.

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”