Making the jump from Edward Jones

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
smsdad

Making the jump from Edward Jones

Post by smsdad » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Greetings,

I am probably gong to be making the jump from EJ here soon. Wife and I have been there since about 2012. After reading many topics on this site and reading the Boglehead Investment book, I think it is time to say adios to them. Besides, they are calling the house trying to set up a quick appointment (our usual once-a-year is in December) and I suspect it has to do with the Fiduciary changes coming up.

I started talks with a Vanguard advisor today and have given them what funds I have over at EJ. We currently have about 420k there, mostly in a traditional IRA and about $8500 in a Roth. I was probably going to just try to move everything into a TRF, probably the 2030 or 2035 since I am 51 now. I figured that will be easiest just to get intot he Vanguard system and /maybe/ eventually move into a three-leg portfolio, but am not sure. That is why I am seeking your advice here.

I also have a work 457 plan as well as a State retirement plan. Currently adding per month to the work 457 as well as the EJ Roth($200/mo).

Would it be wise to just go for the TRF at first or go with some other configuration?

Thank you for all the great advice here!
Last edited by smsdad on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Jay

Re: Making the jump from Edward Jones

Post by David Jay » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 pm

TargetRetirement is a great way to get started managing your own portfolio.

Select the TR fund based on your comfort level with the asset allocation, not the "date" of the fund.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Hello smsdad,

The target date fund may be a fine choice, but to really get good advice from the pros on here you should post per the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

If you take the time to put all the info in the form requested, you will learn more about your investments.

Making the move to Vanguard from Wells Fargo sounds like a good choice for keeping more of your gains.

Best to you,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Congrats on leaving the den of thieves.

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Thank you dwickenh,

I didn't see the right way to post until after I posted so I apologize for the misstep. I'll try to expound.

Emergency funds: Probably only about a month or so
Debt: Only mortage (3.75%) $825/mo w/<80k left.
Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly
State of Residence: Washington
Desired Asset allocation: Unsure, problably 70/30...60/40 ??
Desired International allocation: Not sure
About 411k with traditional IRA, about $8500 with Roth
$200/mo going into current EJ Roth.
No contributions to Traditional IRA, just dividend re-investment.
Around 9% of income going into work 457 plan
Some % goes into State retirement plan, but unsure at the moment how much.
Single-income, stable job. Wife is stay-at-home with disabled daughter.

TRADITIONAL IRA @ EJ-MUTAL FUNDS
FRANKLIN DYNATECH FUND CL A
FRANKLIN GROWTH CL A
FRANKLIN HIGH INCOME FUND CL A
FRANKLIN INCOME FUND CL A
FRANKLIN INTERNATIONAL SMALL CAP GROWTH FUND
FRANKLIN MUTUAL GLOBAL DISCOVERY FUND CL A
FRANKLIN RISING DIVIDENDS FUND CL A
FRANKLIN UTILITIES FUND CL A
LORD ABBETT CORE FIXED INCOME FUND CL A
LORD ABBETT HIGH YIELD FUND CL A
LORD ABBETT INCOME FUND CL A
LORD ABBETT MULTI-ASSET INCOME FUND CL A
MFS CORPORATE BOND FUND CL A
MFS GROWTH FUND CL A
MFS INTERNATIONAL DIVERSIFICATION FUND CL A
MFS INTERNATIONAL VALUE FUND CL A
MFS UTILITIES FUND CL A
MFS VALUE FUND CL A
TEMPLETON GLOBAL BOND FUND CL A

TRAD. IRA @ EJ-INDIVIDUAL STOCKS
BHP BILLITON PLC ADR
MICROSOFT CORP
MONMOUTH REAL ESTATE INVT CORP CL A
OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVESTORS INC
POTASH CORP OF SASKATCHEWAN INC
SOUTH32 LTD
UNILEVER PLC ADR 25P NEW
VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS
VODAFONE GROUP PLC

ROTH IRA @ EJ
FRANKLIN BIOTECHNOLOGY DISCOVERY FUND CL A

457 WORK PLAN
VT Harbor International 2.0%
VT Vantagepoint 500 Stk Idx 34.0%
VT Vantagepoint Brd Mkt Idx 33.9%
VT Vantagepoint Cor Bnd Idx 30.1%

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:02 pm

smsdad wrote:Greetings,

I am probably gong to be making the jump from EJ here soon. Wife and I have been there since about 2012. After reading many topics on this site and reading the Boglehead Investment book, I think it is time to say adios to them. Besides, they are calling the house trying to set up a quick appointment (our usual once-a-year is in December) and I suspect it has to do with the Fiduciary changes coming up.

I started talks with a Vanguard advisor today and have given them what funds I have over at EJ. We currently have about 420k there, mostly in a traditional IRA and about $8500 in a Roth. I was probably going to just try to move everything into a TRF, probably the 2030 or 2035 since I am 51 now. I figured that will be easiest just to get intot he Vanguard system and /maybe/ eventually move into a three-leg portfolio, but am not sure. That is why I am seeking your advice here.

I also have a work 457 plan as well as a State retirement plan. Currently adding per month to the work 457 as well as the EJ Roth($200/mo).

Would it be wise to just go for the TRF at first or go with some other configuration?

Thank you for all the great advice here!

Your instincts are good. Get everything moved to Vanguard, put it into one of the Target Date funds, and then take your time researching and deciding if you'd prefer a 3-fund portfolio.

Good luck.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Maybe someone who has made the same move recently could tell you which is better, sell the funds and move cash to Vanguard, or transfer the funds in kind to Vanguard. You'll need to compare the sales commission at Vanguard vs EJ.

I transferred in cash eons ago from another broker but I did not have so many funds, and usually there is a commmission for each fund.

You are making a good move that will save you tons of money but be prepared for the cost of the transition.

Either a TD fund or a LifeStrategy fund would be a good one-fund portfolio at Vanguard.
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:08 am

smsdad, welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of Edward Jones threads here, do a search (upper right box) and take a look. Edward Jones will hit you with an account closure fee for each of the 3. I don't know what the current $ is, probably a couple hundred to close all of them. The good news is all of these accounts are tax advantaged so you won't have any capital gains to worry about. If you move all of the EJ funds to Vanguard, you can sell them then exchange for VG mutual funds after the transfer. Some but not all of those EJ funds may incur a fee at VG to cash out. Also, some of the EJ funds may not transfer over. You could liquidate all of the funds at EJ then transfer the cash to VG but your EJ account representative may catch wind and try to convince you to stay. One other problem is that some of the funds may have a back end load (you pay a fee to cash them out). It's worth the effort to get out of Edward Jones in the long run.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:17 am

You don't need to speak with EJ about anything for the transfer. Talk with Vanguard. They already know what funds are over at EJ. The should be able to tell you the costs at EJ and the costs at Vanguard to liquidate. They did that when I transferred some money from Fidelity some years ago and gave me the costs either way. For me, it was free to liquidate within Fidelity and $75 to do it at Vanguard (1 Fidelity fund). You have a lot of funds to get rid of because EJ purposely puts clients in a lot of funds specifically to make it expensive to leave. I don't think there's a free way out unless someone like Schwab or TDAmeritrade deals with the funds you're in. If so, you could make in kind transfers to save closing fees and then sell them at the new house. Both Schwab and TDA will give you a big bonus to move.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:19 am

Good plan. Once you decide how you're going to transfer the assets have Vanguard do all of work for you. Have them call EJ for the human interaction. If you call EJ you'll most likely get a hard time from a commissioned salesperson.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:46 am

smsdad,

Your asset allocation of 70/30 or 60/40 is reasonable for your age and time until retirement of 10-14 years.

Your international allocation could be based on Vanguards recommendation of 20-40% of stocks . I am on the low side at 25%.

Your Roth contributions could be increased to 6500 for you and 6500 for your non-working spouse.

Your tax brkt will help determine which retirement account would provide the most bang for your bucks.(read about the tax sheltered accounts on the WIKI in the upper rt corner of this page).

Your choices in the 457 are good low cost index funds(although the actual expense ratio is not posted).

You will increase the money you keep by 1-2.5 % by making the move from EJ to Vanguard.

If you feel you need assistance for the first year or two at Vanguard, they have a advisor service call PAS that cost .30% and can be canceled after you feel more comfortable.

Best wishes to your success,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:01 am

I think what you put in your IRAs should depend on your 457b because the 457b is the least flexible account that you have.

For example if the choices in the 457b are high cost, you might want to just use the lowest cost thing there and build the rest of the portfolio around that in the IRAs. If the choices in the 457b are low cost, you can put a target fund in the IRAs with no problem. In fact, you could put a target fund in all 3 accounts if the costs are right.

You have a lot of EJ funds. Before moving them "in kind" to Vanguard, you should find out what Vanguard is going to charge you for selling each one after they arrive. Compare that to any charge for selling them at EJ and moving cash over to Vanguard. Vanguard may give you some free trades if you ask.

Don't be surprised if EJ charges you account closing fees (one for each IRA). Just pay it and move on.

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:13 am

I've engaged with one of their advisors and sent him the list of EJ funds. He is going to take a look and see what will carry over in kind, if any, and sketch out for me what the next steps will be. I haven't officially pulled the trigger on the move yet as I wanted to get a better understanding of what all of that would entail before I sign on the proverbial dotted line with Vanguard.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 am

I am certain that Vanguard is public enemy number one at Edward Jones and the Bogleheads forum is probably close behind at number two. Ditto for Ameriprise.

You have done a good thing by leaving and now you will have better and lower cost investments.
A fool and his money are good for business.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 am

smsdad wrote:I've engaged with one of their advisors and sent him the list of EJ funds. He is going to take a look and see what will carry over in kind, if any, and sketch out for me what the next steps will be.

I'm not sure you understood exactly.

I think Vanguard charges $35 for every transaction (buy or sell) associated with non-vanguard mutual funds. If you bring over 10 American Funds funds and want to sell them and buy Vanguard funds, that might cost you $350 in transaction fees. Instead, you could sell the American Funds funds at EF (possibly with no fee?) and just move cash to Vanguard where you would buy what you want.

Bottom line - ask about the fees ahead of time if you intend to dump the American funds. If needed, ask for enough free trades to get rid of what you don't want.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm

I am glad you are getting out of EJ. I have a couple of friends who I would like to talk into doing that also.

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:43 pm

I heard back from VG this morning and they say of the funds that are in the clutches of EJ, only the Roth fund will incur a transaction fee. The rest in the traditional IRA will not have any transaction fees.

I asked him(this has been through email) if this meant that there will be no fees, either from EJ or Vanguard, to bring the funds over and if the fee he mentioned about the Roth fund was the only one.

Waiting for a response from him, now.

STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:58 pm

EJ will charge you a fee to close the account(s) As retiredgd mentioned earlier - pay it an happily move on. Any thought of selling and buying into funds @ EJ that are easier to transfer to VG will cost you the front end load and commission fees @ EJ - transfer all in kind.

From a 2016 classmate - congrats on making the move. After a few months, you'll be chuckling at any anxiety you may had had leading up to the time you pulled the trigger.

Hiwatter

Post by Hiwatter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:08 pm

If you go with Fidelity, they will actually reimburse you the EJ Account Closure Fee. All you have to do is ask.

Good work on deciding to leave EJ. I recently dumped them as well (should have done it a lot sooner).

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Hiwatter wrote:If you go with Fidelity, they will actually reimburse you the EJ Account Closure Fee. All you have to do is ask.

Good work on deciding to leave EJ. I recently dumped them as well (should have done it a lot sooner).
Unfortunately Vanguard will not reimburse fees for funds transferred to them.

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm not really worried about the fees to close. I only have three accounts with them. What was the fee? Like $95 each account or something? Nothing compared to what in will save in other fees NOT paid to them.

For my individual stocks, should I keep them at VG or go ahead, bring them over then put into cash, then into a fund?

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 pm

smsdad wrote:I'm not really worried about the fees to close. I only have three accounts with them. What was the fee? Like $95 each account or something? Nothing compared to what in will save in other fees NOT paid to them.
This is correct. :happy
For my individual stocks, should I keep them at VG or go ahead, bring them over then put into cash, then into a fund?
If you want to sell the individual stocks, ask each custodian (or look it up online) what the cost is to sell them. If there is a charge at VG, ask if they will give you enough free trades to move into their funds. Then decide.

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 pm

If you want to sell the individual stocks, ask each custodian (or look it up online) what the cost is to sell them. If there is a charge at VG, ask if they will give you enough free trades to move into their funds. Then decide
They did mention that there was a $7 per stock fee to sell them, which is mentioned in this link here: https://investor.vanguard.com/investing ... ns?lang=en.. That $7 is dependent on making that transaction online, though. By phone, it jumps to $25 per.

I will see, since we're only talking 9 stocks, if they will waive the fees for those.

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Another question - ok maybe two or three..

For those that have gone this route before, what did it do to your tax situation that next tax season? Will it be like EJ in that everything just gets reinvested into itself and I never see any real gains from it? So as far as the tax man goes, that money doesn't really count... yet? If dividends are not reinvested automatically, what happens to that money?
Also, do I try to keep the same sort of accounts at Vanguard, the Roth and Traditional (there is a cash account, but it only has $0.70 in it)with the same sort of split between the two? Or is this the time to move some of the traditional into the Roth? I suspect there could be tax penalties for that, though, correct? Sorry for what are certainly beginner questions...

Thanks again for the help!

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:32 pm

smsdad wrote:Another question - ok maybe two or three..

For those that have gone this route before, what did it do to your tax situation that next tax season? Will it be like EJ in that everything just gets reinvested into itself and I never see any real gains from it? So as far as the tax man goes, that money doesn't really count... yet? If dividends are not reinvested automatically, what happens to that money?
Also, do I try to keep the same sort of accounts at Vanguard, the Roth and Traditional (there is a cash account, but it only has $0.70 in it)with the same sort of split between the two? Or is this the time to move some of the traditional into the Roth? I suspect there could be tax penalties for that, though, correct? Sorry for what are certainly beginner questions...

If I understand correctly, you have a Roth and Traditional IRA. Both are tax advantaged so there should not be any tax implications in your move from EJ to VG. Obviously when you withdraw from your Traditional IRA in the future you will have to pay income tax.

DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:58 pm

SMSdad, just wanted to hop on the thread and congratulate you on your decision to leave EJ. I left a couple months ago and have zero regrets. There seem to be quite a few of us "EJ exiles" here.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:32 am

You're lucky that you have the money in tax advantaged accounts. I've seen threads here where people had these horrible funds in brokerage accounts and would face major tax bills to sell.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:53 am

smsdad wrote:I will see, since we're only talking 9 stocks, if they will waive the fees for those.
It's the 19 mutual funds, not stocks, on the IRA that I'm thinking about. I think mutual funds are $35 each.

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 am

retiredjg wrote:I think mutual funds are $35 each.
Once you have your first 50k in Vanguard funds you can get that down to $20 each. In my experience, it takes a few days for the change to Voyager status to go through after you talk to Vanguard about it, so there is some slight reward for patience.

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:46 am

smsdad-
It's very important to understand how much it costs to sell your stocks and mutual funds at EJ vs Vanguard. I've seen folks jump ship at EJ, transfer assets in kind to Vanguard, and get a big surprise at the cost of selling each stock and fund.

Since your accounts are tax-advantaged there are no tax consequences of selling your holdings and going to cash. Selling everything while you're still at EJ may be much less expensive than waiting to do it at a new custodian. Going to cash within your accounts does not mean taking a distribution. It all stays in the bucket of your IRA. Then Vanguard pulls your IRA over.

Some people don't want to liquidate (go to cash) prior to transferring to a new custodian. They don't want to be out of the market for 2 weeks (it can take that long). I never worried about that particularly when doing this, but it you may feel differently.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 am

smsdad wrote:Another question - ok maybe two or three..

There are no tax consequences for selling assets within an IRA -- either Roth or Traditional -- which is what you'll be doing. Your dividends will continue to be reinvested and no taxes on those either.

Yes, you should move all the assets in your Traditional at EJ to your Traditional at Vanguard, and the same for your Roth (again, no tax consequences). After everything is moved, then you can convert some of the Traditional money to a Roth. There will be tax consequences to doing that, and you'll need to investigate whether it makes sense for you.

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 pm

OK, started the ball rolling today. Wish me luck!

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:57 pm

smsdad wrote:OK, started the ball rolling today. Wish me luck!
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

:sharebeer

Dan

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 am

Nearly everything has now transferred over to Vanguard now. There is only a few hundred dollars left at EJ in the tIRA in 9 left over Mutual funds plus $40 in cash. The rIRA just shows another $40 in cash. There is a joint account with only $0.70 in it(yes, that's 70 cents).

Now, it may be that the whole process is not yet completed and I am jumping the gun in expecting everything to have transferred over but I did receive the mail stating that the transfer process had completed. So, it's left me wondering what to do about the left overs at EJ. Is EJ holding back this money to pay for the account closure fees, I wonder...?

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:47 am

Something similar happened when I moved a fund from Fidelity to Vanguard and yes it was holdback money for the account closure fee.

Glad things worked out for you. You'll be much happier at VG.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:53 am

Glad you made the jump and that things are ok. Whatever is left at EJ for closing fees you should get back quickly by the reduced fees at Vanguard.

DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:57 am

When I transferred out of EJ a couple months ago, there were a few small amounts that came over in dribs and drabs for about a month after the majority of assets had transferred. I never understood why. Just checked my last EJ statements. My account closure fees were applied the day the transfer of assets began. Congrats on the progress you've made so far :)

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:09 am

The 9 left-over mutuals at EJ also show up(along with nearly all their assets) in the VG account. The amounts in the EJ account range anywhere from $3 to $86, for about $400 total. When I get some time later today I will call VG to make sure that I understand what is going on with the account at EJ and to figure out what is to become of the 70 cent Joint account.
When I transferred out of EJ a couple months ago, there were a few small amounts that came over in dribs and drabs for about a month after the majority of assets had transferred. I never understood why. Just checked my last EJ statements. My account closure fees were applied the day the transfer of assets began. Congrats on the progress you've made so far
Where do the account closure fees appear? In an EJ statement to come later?

Also, at the end of all this, does EJ finally close out my account with them or do I need to tell them specifically to cancel my account?

DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 am

smsdad wrote:Where do the account closure fees appear? In an EJ statement to come later?
Yes. After everything transferred, I received a final set of EJ statements showing account balances of $0 and the dates various funds were sold, etc. My account closure fees were deducted on the date most of the assets transferred but there was still some selling going on for several days afterward. I never understood why it wasn't all sold on the same day. Fidelity used ACATS (I think that's what it's called) to handle the transfer. I don't know if Vanguard does transfers that way.
Also, at the end of all this, does EJ finally close out my account with them or do I need to tell them specifically to cancel my account?
That's a question your Vanguard rep can probably answer better than I can because she or he would know if request was put through to transfer various assets or the entire account. My worry wasn't that EJ would keep the account open. I worried they'd hit me with fees for falling below account minimum during the transfer process. But they didn't.

STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:12 am

When we moved out, there was really nothing more to do beyond downloading statement PDF's for record keeping. Just for giggles, I tried and was able to log into my EJ account this morning (18 months after the split) - All accounts say "closed". There are statements from Jan & Feb 2016 still accessible.

BL

Post by BL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:28 am

I would suggest printing out any statements from EJ while you can still access them, for your own information, in case you don't get them in paper. It shouldn't matter to you whether they leave a few cents or not.

Congratulations for getting out!

smsdad

Post by smsdad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Everything except the tiny <$1 amount in a joint account has transferred over. They still show the tIRA but with a balance of zero. The rIRA doesn't show up at all anymore. I expect that the traditional will disappear at some point. I don't care about the last bit remaining in the joint account but I would like it to go away even if it means being one last parting "fee" they take from me.

I need to start selling off the old assets I suppose and get into the new funds. I have really appreciated all the guidance here!