Utah 529 or Vanguard 529

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mrxyz

Utah 529 or Vanguard 529

Post by Mrxyz »

Hi,
I have used the Utah 529 for many years based on a lot of reading I had done - most of which I have forgotten. I get state tax break no matter where I invest the 529 monies.

Today I was looking up the annual expense ratios and found the Utah one for aggressive path to be 0.20x% while that on Vanguard to be 0.17%.

So, I am now wondering why did I start using Utah plan to begin with and whether this difference in expense is worth worrying about?

Thanks
mcraepat9

Re: Utah 529 or Vanguard 529

Post by mcraepat9 »

Utah is one of the best 529 plans in the country. And no, 3 bps is not enough to worry about.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Utah uses Vanguard. Vanguard uses Nevada which sells vanguard fund. Utah has lower fee. But Nevada Vanguard could be counter as Vanguard to qualify you to their elite program for lower fees and other services. I do both. Personally, I like Utah program better.
Topic Author
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

mcraepat9 wrote:Utah is one of the best 529 plans in the country. And no, 3 bps is not enough to worry about.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the quick reply!

So I am advising someone about 529 plans and did not remember WHY Utah is the best plan..........Best because of how well/ efficient they are? Or something else?

Thanks
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I like Utah because you can create your own allocation using all of their investment options (including vanguard and DFA). So it's a fun 529 plan if you are a slicer and dicer.
mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 »

Mrxyz wrote:
mcraepat9 wrote:Utah is one of the best 529 plans in the country. And no, 3 bps is not enough to worry about.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the quick reply!

So I am advising someone about 529 plans and did not remember WHY Utah is the best plan..........Best because of how well/ efficient they are? Or something else?

Thanks
One of the lowest cost options out there, plus DFA access (which is a BH favorite, especially for value tilters - you typically need to have a financial advisor to access DFA funds).
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
Topic Author
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

I love our forum!!

Almost immediate quick and perfect answers to all (practically all) of life's questions (starting with 529 of course) !!!!

I just use the aggressive age based global investment and don't do any slicing etc. And did not know about the DFA either. But glad I have the 'right' 529 plan.
Thanks