403b options

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ogbogle

403b options

Postby ogbogle » Fri May 19, 2017 3:49 pm

First post, long time reader - thanks for everyone's help.

Going through my wife's 403b list and it looks pretty dismal. I've requested information from most of these (in the mail). Anybody have any thoughts on the least of these evils?

Voya
AIG
FTJ Fund Choice
Oppenheimer Funds
Security Benefit
ING Reliastar
Valic
National Life Group

Most of these appear to be annuities. We do have a 457 option - it's a savings account that currently pays 2.5% and insured but the rate is voted on by the credit unions board each year and could change. We could do a backdoor IRA but it'd be a little less and we are trying to limit our tax exposure as our incomes will be significantly lower in the future (I already max out my self 401k and HSA). btw, there's no match at her job.

I know I won't find anything as low cost as my vanguard 401k, but I'd be willing to pay a little higher fees to defer the taxes.

As far as our personal finance, we have no consumer debt - some student debt (70k at 1.9%) and a 6 month emergency fund.

BashDash

Re: 403b options

Postby BashDash » Fri May 19, 2017 4:22 pm

You are in luck. Security Benefit offers a direct invest option that provides vanguard funds. Do NOT ask a rep about this option because the typically will act like they don't know it exists and maybe try and sell you a high fee option. I have the direct invest option. It is all Internet based. Search security benefit direct invest and you will see some links to the application.
It is actually only 35$ per year plus expense ratios. Free if you have over 50k. PM me with questions. I'm sure other BH experts will chime in.

Bayoufrogg

Postby Bayoufrogg » Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 pm

If you are eligible for a 457b, check this list to see if you may have a state 457.

http://board.403bwise.com/index.php?sho ... 4849%C2%A0

ogbogle

Postby ogbogle » Sun May 21, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks BashDash - that looks really good.

Bayoufrogg - we do have two 457 options - one is a life insurance product and the other is a savings account that yield 2.5% (currently). She can contribute to both the 403b and 457. If the 403b direct invest option pans out for security benefit than I will fill that up before putting anything in the 457. I don't think we'll have anything left for the 457, if we do I guess I could consider the 2.5% savings account a bond and go that route.

Overall, just really happy there's a good 403b option. I'd be more interested in maxing out both the 403b and 457 if we had a better 457 option.

Thanks again for the quick help.

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”