CD options

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
new000

CD options

Post by new000 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:14 am

I am new to this community and wanted to know CD options . Should CD ladder worth considering or go with traditional one based on current market condition?
is there any better option over CD to park emergency funds ( unlikely to be used in next 4-5 years)

Thanks

whodidntante

Re: CD options

Post by whodidntante » Fri May 19, 2017 12:42 pm

I can tell you what I did. I stopped thinking in terms of buckets. I have equity index etfs in taxable and bonds and a stable value fund in my 401k. If I need to raise cash for current spending I trade to get the cash and to restore my desired asset allocation. The reasons I do it that way are greater tax efficiency and higher returns.

new000

Post by new000 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 pm

whodidntante wrote:I can tell you what I did. I stopped thinking in terms of buckets. I have equity index etfs in taxable and bonds and a stable value fund in my 401k. If I need to raise cash for current spending I trade to get the cash and to restore my desired asset allocation. The reasons I do it that way are greater tax efficiency and higher returns.
Thanks for your input. Currently, for taxable , i have FSTVX ,FTIPX and FSITX . Any better suggestions on fidelity tickers?

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Did you read this:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Emergency_fund

Some of us use iBonds (can't cash out first year - but thereafter they can be a second-tier emergency fund and if NOT used they are tax-deferred inflation protected retirement fund (many don't like the current rates but at least they are guaranteed to keep up with inflation pre-tax).

new000

Post by new000 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:Did you read this:

Some of us use iBonds (can't cash out first year - but thereafter they can be a second-tier emergency fund and if NOT used they are tax-deferred inflation protected retirement fund (many don't like the current rates but at least they are guaranteed to keep up with inflation pre-tax).
I didnt read it earlier but did read now. thank you, tiered approach seems the way to go.
Any tips to pick iBond offered by Fidelity?

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri May 19, 2017 1:54 pm

new000 wrote:

I didnt read it earlier but did read now. thank you, tiered approach seems the way to go.
I-Bonds are only offered from Treasury Direct. There are some lengthy threads on whether to buy now vs November after next fixed rate is announced but at the end of the day it does not make a big difference.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 pm

new000 wrote:

iBonds are purchased directly from the US Treasury here:
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/

new000

Post by new000 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks for the link. I saw Ishare IBond options in fidelity and thought its the same . pardon my ignorance.

Leif

Post by Leif » Fri May 19, 2017 2:21 pm

whodidntante wrote:I can tell you what I did. I stopped thinking in terms of buckets. I have equity index etfs in taxable and bonds and a stable value fund in my 401k. If I need to raise cash for current spending I trade to get the cash and to restore my desired asset allocation. The reasons I do it that way are greater tax efficiency and higher returns.
If your equity index efts are down say 50% will you still sell to raise cash? That would presumably take your further from your desired asset allocation.

I do have about 2 years of expenses in cash and a CD ladder. But, I'm getting close to retirement, so I believe that makes sense for me.

Emergency funds are just that, for emergencies. You want those funds liquid. Some in the past have suggested government E or I bonds. Others have suggested a Roth. Cash, in the form of a high yield account, is what I would use.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri May 19, 2017 2:46 pm

FSITX Fidelity's flavor of total bond is moderately tax inefficient in a taxable account.

See: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-eff ... _placement

The general consensus here is to put total bond funds in tax-deferred or tax-advantaged accounts.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri May 19, 2017 2:55 pm

new000 wrote:Thanks for the link. I saw Ishare IBond options in fidelity and thought its the same . pardon my ignorance.
No worries, there is no reason you should be expected to know. For more on I-Bonds and how they work, see the Wiki.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/I_savings_bonds

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Leif wrote: If your equity index efts are down say 50% will you still sell to raise cash? That would presumably take your further from your desired asset allocation.
Not to speak for someone else but I assume he would sell bonds and buy stocks in his 401k to get to desired asset allocation. I do this too.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri May 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Leif wrote:
If your equity index efts are down say 50% will you still sell to raise cash? That would presumably take your further from your desired asset allocation.

I do have about 2 years of expenses in cash and a CD ladder. But, I'm getting close to retirement, so I believe that makes sense for me.

Emergency funds are just that, for emergencies. You want those funds liquid. Some in the past have suggested government E or I bonds. Others have suggested a Roth. Cash, in the form of a high yield account, is what I would use.
Yes, I will sell if stocks are down 50%. It makes no difference because money is fungible. I will buy the corresponding amount of equities in my 401k to restore my asset allocation.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri May 19, 2017 4:37 pm

new000 wrote:
Thanks for your input. Currently, for taxable , i have FSTVX ,FTIPX and FSITX . Any better suggestions on fidelity tickers?
Those are excellent funds but in taxable IVV and IXUS will be more efficient. IVV has 100% qualified dividends and both ETFs are less likely to distribute a capital gain than a mutual fund. I don't hold a bond fund in taxable. I put bonds in tax deferred.