Chase Private Client -- Worth it to hold Vanguard Funds?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Mark2614

Chase Private Client -- Worth it to hold Vanguard Funds?

Post by Mark2614 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:09 pm

I realized that becoming a Chase Private Client will save me at least $1,200 a year in wire transfer fees. However, I have to transfer my Roth IRA and taxable brokerage account there to meet the $250,000 minimum to join the program.

That being said, the guy at Chase indicates that there are NO FEES whatsoever to hold Vanguard or Fidelity funds there. In other words, I can invest in the same admiral shares I have at Vanguard directly through Chase, with no additional fees.

Benefits for me:
- Save money on wire transfer
- Use any ATM, fees refunded
- No extra fees when holding Vanguard / Fidelity funds
- All my accounts in one online interface, instead of logging into many different websites

I don't see any major down side. Should I go for it?

freebeer

Re: Chase Private Client -- Worth it to hold Vanguard Funds?

Post by freebeer » Wed May 10, 2017 11:20 pm

There is also discount on mortgage fees. And if you live in a major metro area the Culture card giving free entrance to museums is very sweet. So I am a fan of the program..

But Chase will hard sell you on letting them actively manage your money. I had to steadfastly resist multiple sales pitches. And I'm sure there will be more. :moneybag

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 am

freebeer wrote:There is also discount on mortgage fees. And if you live in a major metro area the Culture card giving free entrance to museums is very sweet. So I am a fan of the program..

But Chase will hard sell you on letting them actively manage your money. I had to steadfastly resist multiple sales pitches. And I'm sure there will be more. :moneybag
Am I correct in assuming that I can keep investing in the same Vanguard admiral funds without paying any extra fees through Chase?

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu May 11, 2017 1:48 am

Mark2614 wrote:In other words, I can invest in the same admiral shares I have at Vanguard directly through Chase, with no additional fees.
I didn't think it was possible to have Admiral shares outside of Vanguard? I thought I had read stories on Bogleheads about people who moved funds out of Vanguard and they were converted down to Investor class shares.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 am

You should call and talk to Vanguard to have them verify everything Chase told you they can do with your current and future Vanguard funds and purchases.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Thu May 11, 2017 4:30 am

Mark2614 wrote:I realized that becoming a Chase Private Client will save me at least $1,200 a year in wire transfer fees. However, I have to transfer my Roth IRA and taxable brokerage account there to meet the $250,000 minimum to join the program.

That being said, the guy at Chase indicates that there are NO FEES whatsoever to hold Vanguard or Fidelity funds there. In other words, I can invest in the same admiral shares I have at Vanguard directly through Chase, with no additional fees.

Benefits for me:
- Save money on wire transfer
- Use any ATM, fees refunded
- No extra fees when holding Vanguard / Fidelity funds
- All my accounts in one online interface, instead of logging into many different websites

I don't see any major down side. Should I go for it?
Two Question I'd want answered first are:

1) Cost per trade. I've heard it's $30+. Holding might be free in a non-managed account but what are the costs to make a purchase or sale to rebalance?

2) Where/how are the assets actually held? This is the most important thing to me personally. Consider what they state:
Certain bank managed advisory products and related services, such as custody services, are offered by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and its affiliates. These assets are segregated by law and are not subject to FDIC or SIPC coverage. Other investment products and services are offered through J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (JPMS), a member of FINRA and SIPC.
If it's a 1% AUM wrap (on a managed account), then I suspect you are with J.P. Morgan Securities and covered by SIPC. If JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. is custodian of the assets, it seems like you have no protection if assets go missing.

Of course when Vanguard or other Mutual Fund companies custody at Chase, they do so under the Investment Company Act of 1940 which in addition to segregation of assets requires among other things that anyone who has access to the fund's securities to hold a fidelity bond, which would pay out if someone did manage to steal any of the money. It's in their contract that Chase is liable for losses due to fraud. I'm not sure that protection is in yours.

In any case, I'd want my assets either held under the Investment Company Act of 1940 (as mutual funds are) or to be covered by SIPC insurance (which while limited is only intended to cover missing assets and also relies on segregation of assets to prevent total loss and which brokers often carry additional coverage from Lloyd's of London for).

student

Post by student » Thu May 11, 2017 6:16 am

You may find the following helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=200522

viewtopic.php?t=164078

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 am

in_reality wrote:
Two Question I'd want answered first are:

1) Cost per trade. I've heard it's $30+. Holding might be free in a non-managed account but what are the costs to make a purchase or sale to rebalance?

2) Where/how are the assets actually held? This is the most important thing to me personally. Consider what they state:
I just got off the phone with my adviser.

1) Cost per trade is $0 on Vanguard mutual funds -- which is what I've been investing in for the last 10 years. Admiral funds are available. No fees to buy / hold / or sell. However, they do charge for ETF's, or stocks. $24.99 per trade. They said if I just call them, they do it for $5 per trade. I don't use ETF's anyway.

2) Assets in my accounts are covered by SIPC. They indicated that I have the same or similar coverage as I would at Vanguard.

Based on this information, I can't see any negative downside of holding my Vanguard funds in the Chase account to maintain the Chase Private Client account and save about $1,200 a year on the wire transfers that I do.

Ricecakes

Post by Ricecakes » Thu May 11, 2017 11:52 am

I have been a Chase Private Client for about two years now. As much as it is possible to "enjoy" using a bank, I do so with CPC. It is especially nice to walk into a branch and be recognized and greeted by my CPC banker, who knows me and my family. It kind of reminds me of the old days.

I hold both Vanguard Admiral funds and Fidelity mutual funds in my account. I do not use Chase's managed brokerage services, I find the 1+% management fee too expensive. Yes they do ask, I just say: "no, thank you." I use CPC primarily because as a frequent overseas traveler I pay no atm fees, no wire transfer fees, and have Chase Sapphire Reserve card with generous points/rewards program.

All in all as I mentioned I am happy with the program and will continue to use it as long as it remains advantageous for me to do so.

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:56 am

Ricecakes wrote:I have been a Chase Private Client for about two years now. As much as it is possible to "enjoy" using a bank, I do so with CPC. It is especially nice to walk into a branch and be recognized and greeted by my CPC banker, who knows me and my family. It kind of reminds me of the old days.

I hold both Vanguard Admiral funds and Fidelity mutual funds in my account. I do not use Chase's managed brokerage services, I find the 1+% management fee too expensive. Yes they do ask, I just say: "no, thank you." I use CPC primarily because as a frequent overseas traveler I pay no atm fees, no wire transfer fees, and have Chase Sapphire Reserve card with generous points/rewards program.

All in all as I mentioned I am happy with the program and will continue to use it as long as it remains advantageous for me to do so.
Thanks for the feedback. Can you confirm that you've never had to pay any fees to buy, hold, or sell Vanguard admiral funds or Fidelity mutual funds? That's what they told me -- I just want to hear it from someone who has actually been their customer. Have you ever ran into any fees with these Vanguard / Fidelity accounts and trading through chase?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Mark2614 wrote:In other words, I can invest in the same admiral shares I have at Vanguard directly through Chase, with no additional fees.
I didn't think it was possible to have Admiral shares outside of Vanguard? I thought I had read stories on Bogleheads about people who moved funds out of Vanguard and they were converted down to Investor class shares.
I have admiral shares through UMB. So it's possible for other institutions to offer admiral shares.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu May 11, 2017 1:02 pm

OP, go ahead. It would appear that you have done the due diligence and determined that you would benefit. If you find they have not accurately portrayed their fee structure later on you can always leave. It is possible to get free wire transfers elsewhere, FYI.

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

whodidntante wrote:OP, go ahead. It would appear that you have done the due diligence and determined that you would benefit. If you find they have not accurately portrayed their fee structure later on you can always leave. It is possible to get free wire transfers elsewhere, FYI.
I need free international wire transfers through a business checking account. Who else offers that so I can compare?

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Thu May 11, 2017 1:53 pm

I have a self-directed brokerage account at Chase as a CPC. I hold VTSAX and VITAX in it as my primary taxable account, so yes you can have admiral shares.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu May 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Mark2614 wrote:
whodidntante wrote:OP, go ahead. It would appear that you have done the due diligence and determined that you would benefit. If you find they have not accurately portrayed their fee structure later on you can always leave. It is possible to get free wire transfers elsewhere, FYI.
I need free international wire transfers through a business checking account. Who else offers that so I can compare?
I don't have a business checking account so I'm not able to answer that.

Ricecakes

Post by Ricecakes » Fri May 12, 2017 12:05 am

Mark2614 wrote:
Ricecakes wrote:I have been a Chase Private Client for about two years now. As much as it is possible to "enjoy" using a bank, I do so with CPC. It is especially nice to walk into a branch and be recognized and greeted by my CPC banker, who knows me and my family. It kind of reminds me of the old days.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you confirm that you've never had to pay any fees to buy, hold, or sell Vanguard admiral funds or Fidelity mutual funds? That's what they told me -- I just want to hear it from someone who has actually been their customer. Have you ever ran into any fees with these Vanguard / Fidelity accounts and trading through chase?

Never. When signing up I specifically asked my rep and was told no. Haven't paid any fees for mutual funds- buy/sell/hold- since I have joined.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:58 pm

So, just transfer $250k or more of Vanguard mutual funds to Chase and that's it?

Or buy $250k of Vanguard MFs, even Admiral shares, for $0 per trade?

Is there a catch?

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 am

letsgobobby wrote:So, just transfer $250k or more of Vanguard mutual funds to Chase and that's it?

Or buy $250k of Vanguard MFs, even Admiral shares, for $0 per trade?

Is there a catch?
I just transferred $250K or more Vanguard funds to Chase. There was no catch. I've been with them for several months now. I'm guessing you can probably do it the other way around too (buy $250k of Vanguard MFs, even admiral shares, for $0 per trade).

student

Post by student » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:37 am

Mark2614 wrote: I just transferred $250K or more Vanguard funds to Chase. There was no catch. I've been with them for several months now. I'm guessing you can probably do it the other way around too (buy $250k of Vanguard MFs, even admiral shares, for $0 per trade).
Did the cost basis transfer correctly?

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:49 am

student wrote:
Mark2614 wrote: I just transferred $250K or more Vanguard funds to Chase. There was no catch. I've been with them for several months now. I'm guessing you can probably do it the other way around too (buy $250k of Vanguard MFs, even admiral shares, for $0 per trade).
I never selected a cost basis in Vanguard because I never sold any shares yet. So I'm assuming I don't have a cost basis selected in Chase yet either -- unless I try to sell in the future.

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am

Mark2614 wrote:
student wrote:
I never selected a cost basis in Vanguard because I never sold any shares yet. So I'm assuming I don't have a cost basis selected in Chase yet either -- unless I try to sell in the future.
I have been a CPC for about a year. There are no fees, easy trading (for mutual funds), nice layout, etc. However, the one gripe I have is that the display is ONLY in average cost basis. When I asked my advisor to have my display changed to specific cost, he said it can't be done. Checked with the tech people and got the same reply. I think either they are lazy or incompetent or both. Given that CPC no longer has great credit card benefits one of these days when I have some free time I'm going to transfer the funds to Vanguard.

student

Post by student » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:13 pm

Mark2614 wrote:
student wrote:
If the cost basis did not transfer completely, then I don't see how one can sell specific shares later on. You may want to do that to minimize tax on capital gain.

student

Post by student » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:15 pm

fantasytensai wrote: I have been a CPC for about a year. There are no fees, easy trading (for mutual funds), nice layout, etc. However, the one gripe I have is that the display is ONLY in average cost basis. When I asked my advisor to have my display changed to specific cost, he said it can't be done. Checked with the tech people and got the same reply. I think either they are lazy or incompetent or both. Given that CPC no longer has great credit card benefits one of these days when I have some free time I'm going to transfer the funds to Vanguard.
So the problem is only displaying, correct? Will they send you the details for specific cost in mail?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:30 pm

So I'm confused, not that surprising. My problem is that I closed my Chase business checking which suddenly bumped by chase checking minimum balance to get (1. no checking fee) and (2. free safe deposit box) to $15k from (I think) $3k. I usually kept about $5k in my checking account.

If I have Chase hold some of my VG funds for no cost, should that eliminate the hefty minimum balance by meeting this requirement?

Qualifying Chase deposits and investments include the following: a) Up to 9 Chase Private Client Checking
accounts, Chase High School CheckingSM accounts, Chase personal savings accounts, Chase Liquid Cards, CDs,
certain investment management, fiduciary and custody accounts, certain Chase Retirement CDs, or certain
Chase Retirement Money Market Accounts (balances in Chase Money Purchase Pension and Profit Sharing
plans do not qualify); b) Prior end of month balances for J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (JPMS) accounts, certain
retirement plan investment balances (balances in Chase Money Purchase Pension and Profit Sharing plans do
not qualify), JPMorgan Funds accounts (J.P. Morgan Funds are distributed by JPMorgan Distribution Services,
Inc., which is an affiliate of JPMorgan Chase & Co. Affiliates of JPMorgan Chase & Co. receive fees for providing
various services to the funds. Products and services may be offered by JPMorgan Distribution Services, Inc.,
member FINRA/SIPC), annuity products (annuities made available through Chase Insurance Agency, Inc. (CIA)
and Chase Insurance Agency Services, Inc.) and personal trust accounts. Investment products and services
are offered through J.P. Morgan Securities LLC (JPMS), a member of FINRA and SIPC.

mizzao

Post by mizzao » Thu May 31, 2018 2:08 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 1:53 pm
I have a self-directed brokerage account at Chase as a CPC. I hold VTSAX and VITAX in it as my primary taxable account, so yes you can have admiral shares.
I just opened IRAs at Chase to transfer over for CPC, and could not buy VTSAX and VTIAX even though I was trying to place an order of $34k. Haven't tried with the brokerage account yet, it may be different for that.

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm

mizzao wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:08 pm
fantasytensai wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 1:53 pm
I just opened IRAs at Chase to transfer over for CPC, and could not buy VTSAX and VTIAX even though I was trying to place an order of $34k. Haven't tried with the brokerage account yet, it may be different for that.
Just buy the ETF's. Same expense ratios.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 am

Maybe rules for IRA and taxable accounts are different?

Mike14

Post by Mike14 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:49 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am
the one gripe I have is that the display is ONLY in average cost basis. When I asked my advisor to have my display changed to specific cost, he said it can't be done. Checked with the tech people and got the same reply. I think either they are lazy or incompetent or both. Given that CPC no longer has great credit card benefits one of these days when I have some free time I'm going to transfer the funds to Vanguard.
Did you end up transferring to Vanguard? If so, did the specific cost transfer for individual lots, or was it all transferred as average cost basis?
student wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:15 pm
So the problem is only displaying, correct? Will they send you the details for specific cost in mail?
Did you figure out to get Chase to show specific ID's or do they change it all to average cost, even if cost basis for lots is transferred in?

Thank you

Mike14

Post by Mike14 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:50 pm

mizzao wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:08 pm
Is it possible that they didn't open a self-directed account for you?

xb7

Post by xb7 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 am

I was interested in this thread as there are Chase branches quite close to where I live, and we use them as our "local" checking account, plus I'm interested perhaps in a Chase credit card in future. But.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me better understand why the suite of benefits for Chase Private Client are of much interest --- I speculate it's just based on different life/investment/style/whatever circumstances for different individuals (?).

OP mentioned annually saving $1,200 in wire transfer fees. To my knowledge, I pay $0 annually for wire transfer fees, so am curious what circumstances require that? We do periodically (few times a year) move money between financial institutions, but I don't recall that it costs anything to do so; I don't think we're using wire transfer.

We already can use any ATM and get refunded for the ATM fee with our current bank, at least for domestic use. In fact, I think I might use an ATM more overseas than I do in the U.S., and going forward perhaps especially so with the likes of Samsung/Google Pay. ATM withdrawals are a lot less these days than they once were, we do seem to slowly be going more digital and less cash for payments.

A 20% discount on our safe deposit box would be (only) mildly interesting, but can't amount to much money, surely not enough to add the complexity of putting money in multiple places, which makes rebalancing just a little more of a chore; or do folks contemplate moving all of their assets to Chase.

Stop payment fees, cashier’s checks, counter checks or money orders, higher ATM withdrawal limit --- none of these are of value to us. Maybe the thing about having no exchange rate adjustment fees for debit card usage or ATM withdrawals abroad, but again, I can't imagine this amounts to enough to make it worth the complexity and hassle. Ditto having a "private banker", I guess sort of like the old Cheers TV show where "everyone knows your name". I almost never go into my local Chase branch and can't think of anything I would want a 'private' banker for.

I am NOT suggesting that this is somehow a dumb idea or anything like that (!), just curious about circumstances that make this suite of features of much use to others --- in case I'm missing something. TIA !

Mark2614

Post by Mark2614 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 am

xb7 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 am
I was interested in this thread as there are Chase branches quite close to where I live, and we use them as our "local" checking account, plus I'm interested perhaps in a Chase credit card in future. But.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me better understand why the suite of benefits for Chase Private Client are of much interest --- I speculate it's just based on different life/investment/style/whatever circumstances for different individuals (?).

OP mentioned annually saving $1,200 in wire transfer fees. To my knowledge, I pay $0 annually for wire transfer fees, so am curious what circumstances require that? We do periodically (few times a year) move money between financial institutions, but I don't recall that it costs anything to do so; I don't think we're using wire transfer.

We already can use any ATM and get refunded for the ATM fee with our current bank, at least for domestic use. In fact, I think I might use an ATM more overseas than I do in the U.S., and going forward perhaps especially so with the likes of Samsung/Google Pay. ATM withdrawals are a lot less these days than they once were, we do seem to slowly be going more digital and less cash for payments.

A 20% discount on our safe deposit box would be (only) mildly interesting, but can't amount to much money, surely not enough to add the complexity of putting money in multiple places, which makes rebalancing just a little more of a chore; or do folks contemplate moving all of their assets to Chase.

Stop payment fees, cashier’s checks, counter checks or money orders, higher ATM withdrawal limit --- none of these are of value to us. Maybe the thing about having no exchange rate adjustment fees for debit card usage or ATM withdrawals abroad, but again, I can't imagine this amounts to enough to make it worth the complexity and hassle. Ditto having a "private banker", I guess sort of like the old Cheers TV show where "everyone knows your name". I almost never go into my local Chase branch and can't think of anything I would want a 'private' banker for.

I am NOT suggesting that this is somehow a dumb idea or anything like that (!), just curious about circumstances that make this suite of features of much use to others --- in case I'm missing something. TIA !
I'm talking about international wire transfers. I send about 3-4 international wire transfer per month for business, and most banks charge about $45 for each one. With Chase Private Client, I pay zero for those. For me, that's the main benefit. And the added bonus of having a private banker to help me.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 pm

I suspect those who travel internationally will find the no fee/no foreign currency adjustment ATM withdrawals of greater value than those that don't.

Just a hunch.

Starchild

Post by Starchild » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you for this post. My IRA accounts are at Chase and had no idea Vanguard admiral share were available and had free trades. I am in the process of transferring my taxable account to Vanguard, but now will look into Chase and keep it under one roof.

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 am

freebeer wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:20 pm

They have my cell number only and I just send them to VM. 2-3 times a year max and I never have a conversation.
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.