Withholding tax on Ireland-domiciled distributing ETFs for non-Europe residents?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
etf_gaucho

Withholding tax on Ireland-domiciled distributing ETFs for non-Europe residents?

Post by etf_gaucho »

Hi there,

I would like to buy some Irish ETFs that distribute dividends (either from Vanguard or iShares). I read both the iShares Tax FAQ and the Bogleheads wiki and there it says that there are no withholding taxes on dividend distributions. However, these documents are aimed at European residents and, before buying them, I wanted to ask you guys if this withholding tax exemption also applies to other countries outside Europe? I live in South America.

Any info you could give me will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Best,
Daniel
TedSwippet

Re: Withholding tax on Ireland-domiciled distributing ETFs for non-Europe residents?

Post by TedSwippet »

etf_gaucho wrote:... I wanted to ask you guys if this withholding tax exemption also applies to other countries outside Europe?
Yes. Ireland does not have any withholding tax on dividends paid out by Irish domiciled ETFs. It doesn't matter where the ETF investor is resident; in Europe or outside makes no difference.
Topic Author
etf_gaucho

Re: Withholding tax on Ireland-domiciled distributing ETFs for non-Europe residents?

Post by etf_gaucho »

TedSwippet wrote:Yes. Ireland does not have any withholding tax on dividends paid out by Irish domiciled ETFs. It doesn't matter where the ETF investor is resident; in Europe or outside makes no difference.
Great, thank you!
axolot

Post by axolot »

I presume then that witholding tax applies for Irish residents ?
And what about capital gains if the ETF is sold ?

Thanks
imperia

Post by imperia »

You pay Capital gains tax in your resident country.
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

axolot wrote:And what about capital gains if the ETF is sold ?
No Irish capital gains tax liability for non-Irish residents.

Also, before you ask, no Irish estate, gift, or inheritance taxes on non-residents either.
seancoj

Post by seancoj »

Hi TedSwippet, what if Im Irish, but resident in another Country, would I be taxed in capital gain or dividends?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - seancoj is asking for assistance in this thread: Advice - ETF's Investments [multiple non-US countries]

seancoj, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.