Please help me understand my Xray morningstar box

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
JB2013

Please help me understand my Xray morningstar box

Post by JB2013 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm

So I've done some reading about utilizing this xray Morningstar box, and I recall seeing the "preferred box" somewhere online, but now I can't find it. I think my numbers now mostly reflect what I was trying to copy. I'm wondering if these are "good" numbers to have and if I should look into any changes. Here's my box below...

Current investments for my 401K:

VINIX 72%
VIPSX 15%
VSGIX 8%
VMCIX 5% These holdings create this box...

Value Core Growth
25 25 24 Large
6 7 7 Medium
1 1 3 Small

What do you guys think? I'm not really sure how to interpret this. Thanks!

dbr

Re: Please help me understand my Xray morningstar box

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

JB2013 wrote:So I've done some reading about utilizing this xray Morningstar box, and I recall seeing the "preferred box" somewhere online, but now I can't find it. I think my numbers now mostly reflect what I was trying to copy. I'm wondering if these are "good" numbers to have and if I should look into any changes. Here's my box below...

VINIX 72%
VIPSX 15%
VSGIX 8%

Value Core Growth
25 25 24 Large
6 7 7 Medium
1 1 3 Small

Put in a total market fund for a comparison and notice that you are under weight small caps relative to the market and a little overweight to growth in small caps.

More to the point, what is your rationale in picking that allocation to funds that you have?

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

A little large cap heavy.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

JB2013

Post by JB2013 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 pm

dbr wrote:
JB2013 wrote:So I've done some reading about utilizing this xray Morningstar box, and I recall seeing the "preferred box" somewhere online, but now I can't find it. I think my numbers now mostly reflect what I was trying to copy. I'm wondering if these are "good" numbers to have and if I should look into any changes. Here's my box below...

VINIX 72%
VIPSX 15%
VSGIX 8%

Value Core Growth
25 25 24 Large
6 7 7 Medium
1 1 3 Small

Put in a total market fund for a comparison and notice that you are under weight small caps relative to the market and a little overweight to growth in small caps.

More to the point, what is your rationale in picking that allocation to funds that you have?
My rationale is I want 15% in bonds. In regards to the percentages of large/mid/small caps...I have no idea. Like I mentioned, I think I based it off a box I saw a while ago, so it looks like I will have to tinker with the percentages to get large caps down and small caps up.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

A much better idea would be to just buy a total stock market index fund.

The more likely area for diversification would be to add a total international stock market index fund.

Picking funds is premature if you haven't thought through your asset allocation to start with. Is this in a retirement plan that does not offer a total market index fund?

JB2013

Post by JB2013 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:03 pm

dbr wrote:A much better idea would be to just buy a total stock market index fund.

The more likely area for diversification would be to add a total international stock market index fund.

Picking funds is premature if you haven't thought through your asset allocation to start with. Is this in a retirement plan that does not offer a total market index fund?
Correct. This is in a retirement fund that doesn't have a total stock. These are the best index funds I get to play with so that's why I posted on the board. I want 15% bonds so I'm looking for suggestions on how to allocate the funds I'm given.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

There are some postings somewhere giving a selection of S&P 500, midcap index, and smallcap index that matches TSM. Maybe at this point it would help to post what is available in your plan and people will have good suggestions. I would think the best idea is to target a three fund portfolio concept using what you have available. You should still put VTI in the M* x-ray to see what the TSM construction should look like.

Honestly, it is also perfectly reasonable to just hold the S&P 500 and forget about it, excepting maybe previously mentioned holding some international.

Here is another thread in the same vein: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=217071

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:21 pm

JB2013 wrote:So I've done some reading about utilizing this xray Morningstar box, and I recall seeing the "preferred box" somewhere online, but now I can't find it. I think my numbers now mostly reflect what I was trying to copy. I'm wondering if these are "good" numbers to have and if I should look into any changes. . . What do you guys think? I'm not really sure how to interpret this. Thanks!
I don't think there's a "preferred" stock style box, because the style box is a way of summarizing the diversification of your stock portfolio. It's an easy way to compare your actual portfolio to some standard; for example, if you wanted to approximate the Vanguard Total Stock Market fund, you could compare your stock portfolio style box (left) to the the Total Stock fund (VTSMX, right):

ImageImage

And we see that your portfolio tilts slightly large compared to Total Stock.

When it comes to your bonds, the bond style box is not as helpful. If I compare your TIPS to Vanguard Total Bond fund, the boxes only tell us that both funds are high quality, but the TIPS have "Extensive" sensitivity to interest rates with a duration of 7.88 years, while Total Bond has a "Moderate" sensitivity with a duration of 6.09 years. I think it's more helpful to compare the growth charts:

This shows us that the two funds have similar returns over 10 years, with your TIPS being a little more volatile.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Take a look at these portfolios for Approximating total stock market. If you used VINIX 69%, VMCIX 3%, and VSGIX 13% for the 85% stock in your portfolio, you would come closer to Total Stock, if that's what you want.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."