1 million minimum MM at Fidelity

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
exoilman

1 million minimum MM at Fidelity

Postby exoilman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am

While looking at some funds FMPXX (1.02% taxable) and FTCXX (.75% tax exempt) the minimum for entry is 1 million dollars. These are available to individuals. Used to be institutional only. I guess a good place for wealthy investors waiting for market correction.

Regards
Sam

DaftInvestor

Re: 1 million minimum MM at Fidelity

Postby DaftInvestor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Or you can put $250K into 4 different High-Yield Savings accounts that pay 1.05% (gsbank, synchrony, etc.).
I don't get why people are putting money in MMs that are below savings account rates. Is it so money can be moved without 24-hour ACH transfer (e.g. in case I want to time the market and shift my $1M in the middle of the day).

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Postby goodenyou » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:19 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:Or you can put $250K into 4 different High-Yield Savings accounts that pay 1.05% (gsbank, synchrony, etc.).
I don't get why people are putting money in MMs that are below savings account rates. Is it so money can be moved without 24-hour ACH transfer (e.g. in case I want to time the market and shift my $1M in the middle of the day).

I would bet it is for consolidation and convenience.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

DaftInvestor

Postby DaftInvestor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 pm

goodenyou wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:Or you can put $250K into 4 different High-Yield Savings accounts that pay 1.05% (gsbank, synchrony, etc.).

yeah - and I guess the difference between 1.02% and 1.05% on $1M is only $300 per year. Chump-change for someone holding $1M in a money market.

flamesabers

Postby flamesabers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm

goodenyou wrote:

I imagine some wealthy investors may also want to be in Fidelity's Private Client Group without having to invest all their money in stocks and bonds.

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”