Fidelity equivalent of Vanguard small value index fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
bogleboyz

Fidelity equivalent of Vanguard small value index fund

Post by bogleboyz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Can someone please suggest a Fidelity equivalent of Vanguard small value index fund
I would like to use a small value index fund in my 401 k with Fidelity
I have access to all the fidelity funds through brokerage link but will have to pay extra fees for vanguard funds

thanks

stlutz

Re: Fidelity equivalent of Vanguard small value index fund

Post by stlutz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:53 pm

There isn't one.

Can you use ETFs or are you restricted to mutual funds?

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:06 pm

bogleboyz wrote:Can someone please suggest a Fidelity equivalent of Vanguard small value index fund
I have access to all the fidelity funds through brokerage link but will have to pay extra fees for vanguard funds

thanks
IJS (Blackrock ETF) should be available to you free of trading charges.

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Are you limited to only mutual funds or can you use ETFs?

If you're limited to just funds, then your options are a bit limited to stay commission-free.

Fidelity's Enhanced Small Cap Index is a quantitative fund that covers value, quality, and momentum. It's decent, if expensive. FCPEX. .68.

Northern Trust has a pretty strong fund (NOSGX) that is a dead-ringer for IJS in terms of factor loadings and alphas, despite an expense ratio of 1.01%. http://bit.ly/2ooczFs. It hits a bit larger market cap than IJS, loads a bit more on value and has a higher momentum load.

If ETFs are doable, then IJS all the way.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 pm

IJS iShares S&P Small-Cap 600 Value is available commission free for this Fidelity customer. I just bought some of it today. This is a superior fund to Vanguard's.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:52 pm

IJS all the way. The Vanguard fund is not actually small-cap, but is 50/50 Mid/Small (per Morningstar's evaluation of US Stocks). The Value Premium is best when coupled with the Size Premium, so the smaller the better. Also S&P 600 has a quality component (profitable business requirement) which I personally like in a small-cap (riskier) fund.

I hold VIOV which is the same thing, but IJS is far more liquid, and still a reasonable ER.

bogleboyz

Post by bogleboyz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:52 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:IJS all the way. The Vanguard fund is not actually small-cap, but is 50/50 Mid/Small (per Morningstar's evaluation of US Stocks). The Value Premium is best when coupled with the Size Premium, so the smaller the better. Also S&P 600 has a quality component (profitable business requirement) which I personally like in a small-cap (riskier) fund.

I hold VIOV which is the same thing, but IJS is far more liquid, and still a reasonable ER.
Thanks for your reply. I will look into it

bogleboyz

Post by bogleboyz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 pm

whodidntante wrote:IJS iShares S&P Small-Cap 600 Value is available commission free for this Fidelity customer. I just bought some of it today. This is a superior fund to Vanguard's.
thanks for the info. i will look into it

bogleboyz

Post by bogleboyz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:54 pm

NYC_Guy wrote:
bogleboyz wrote:Can someone please suggest a Fidelity equivalent of Vanguard small value index fund

thanks
IJS (Blackrock ETF) should be available to you free of trading charges.
thanks. i will check with fidelity

bogleboyz

Post by bogleboyz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Theoretical wrote:Are you limited to only mutual funds or can you use ETFs?

If you're limited to just funds, then your options are a bit limited to stay commission-free.

Fidelity's Enhanced Small Cap Index is a quantitative fund that covers value, quality, and momentum. It's decent, if expensive. FCPEX. .68.

Northern Trust has a pretty strong fund (NOSGX) that is a dead-ringer for IJS in terms of factor loadings and alphas, despite an expense ratio of 1.01%. http://bit.ly/2ooczFs. It hits a bit larger market cap than IJS, loads a bit more on value and has a higher momentum load.

If ETFs are doable, then IJS all the way.

seems like ETFs may be an option. thanks