HSA Bank Fees

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
tvent

HSA Bank Fees

Post by tvent »

HSA Bank is my health savings account administrator. I have both a cash account and an investment account (TD Ameritrade with Vanguard a Fund) with HSA Bank. Both accounts exceed the minimum balance for fees, however, I continue to be charged the $2.50 HSA Service Fee and the $3.00 HSA Investment Service Fee each month.

More than a month ago, I noticed these fees and called them. They ended up crediting my account $40 but have refused to give any detailed explanation of what the credit was for. I also wrote them a long letter about the excess fees, which they did not respond to.

I've read the Bogleheads Health Savings Account Wiki but don't seem to see a better alternative. Does anyone recommend a lower cost administrator over HSA Bank? I would need to have access to Vanguard Funds.
knpstr

Re: HSA Bank Fees

Post by knpstr »

I have HSA bank and use the TD ameritrade connection.

I keep the minimum balance at HSA Bank >$5000 and everything else goes to TD.

I get charged $0 per year in my HSA and Investment HSA. Not sure about your problem, maybe call again?

:beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Do you have $5k at HSA Bank? That's what you need to avoid the fees. I didn't like having $5k gaining little interest, so I recently switched.
lsui

Post by lsui »

I leave 0 balance in the HSABank cash account (all invested with TDA), and I am charged $3 investment fee each month, no $2.5 fee. Each month, after they charge the $3 fee, I transfer $3 back from TDA to cash account to bring the balance back to 0 from $3 debit. If the expected investment return is 5%, then $5000 cash means cost of $250 lost investment return per year, I would never do that.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

lsui wrote:I leave 0 balance in the HSABank cash account (all invested with TDA), and I am charged $3 investment fee each month, no $2.5 fee. Each month, after they charge the $3 fee, I transfer $3 back from TDA to cash account to bring the balance back to 0 from $3 debit. If the expected investment return is 5%, then $5000 cash means cost of $250 lost investment return per year, I would never do that.
Not sure why you are not being charged the standard $2.50/mth maintenance fee on balance below $5k.. I recently switched out because of that fee.($5.50 total)
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

theplayer11 wrote:
lsui wrote:I leave 0 balance in the HSABank cash account (all invested with TDA), and I am charged $3 investment fee each month, no $2.5 fee. Each month, after they charge the $3 fee, I transfer $3 back from TDA to cash account to bring the balance back to 0 from $3 debit. If the expected investment return is 5%, then $5000 cash means cost of $250 lost investment return per year, I would never do that.
Not sure why you are not being charged the standard $2.50/mth maintenance fee on balance below $5k.. I recently switched out because of that fee.($5.50 total)
Good question. Is he saying that the fee is avoided by having a $0 balance? If so, that is some serious legwork just to save $2.50 a month.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

I've read up on HSA bank, and I guess it boils down to approx $60 a year to keep no balance and be able to invest with TDA? Do you all have HSA deducted from your check into HSA bank? I am curious as to the process because I keep my HSA at my current credit union but am hitting a balance of $5k where I'd like to move it to HSA bank and subsequently to TDA and into VTI and call it a day. I'd honestly be transferring any the HSAbank account straight to TDA every pay period if possible?
lsui

Post by lsui »

Bfwolf wrote: Good question. Is he saying that the fee is avoided by having a $0 balance? If so, that is some serious legwork just to save $2.50 a month.
What serious leg work are you talking about? I just click a few buttons on HSABank site every month, to transfer back $3 from TDA to pay the fee, if that is too much leg work, then just enjoy paying $30/year fee, your choice.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

I use my HSA as I incur expenses, I don't do the save/deferral of costs. And my deductible is $6,500 so I don't mind having $5,000+ at the ready on my debit card at all times.

:beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
Topic Author
tvent

Post by tvent »

So thank you for all the replies. I have greater than 5k in both the cash and investment accounts. It is an interesting idea to transfer the money out of the investment account into the cash account each month.

I called HSA Bank customer service today and was told by the representative that if just one of the accounts falls below the minimum, that I would be charged the fee for both the cash and investment accounts. Is this true? Apparently there is a more detailed fee schedule than the one they post online.

I really feel like switching if there is another custodian with better customer service and the same fee schedule/investment options.

The customer service representatives tell me a different thing every time I call. I was on the line for about 26 minutes (mostly on hold) before I had to give up due to time constraints. I asked several times to speak with a manager, but was put on hold instead.

If anyone has switched out of HSA Bank, what custodian do you use now?
Sailor36

Post by Sailor36 »

I also have an account with HSA Bank with investments at TD Ameritrade and I am being charged $2.00 plus $3.50 monthly despite having a balance well in excess of $5,000 in the HSA Bank account. I called today and the rep said the charges are correct; there is no way to get the fees waived for my account. She was not forthcoming on how I could get a correct fee schedule for my account.

I have emailed them pointing out how the fees they are charging are not the same as the schedule online and asking how to get a correct fee schedule - we'll see what happens.
boyler99

Post by boyler99 »

I use SelectAccount, which has had excellent customer service and they offer the Vanguard S&P 500 Admiral Fund (ER = 0.05%) - VFIAX - with no minimum amount required to invest in the Admiral fund. They do require a $1000 balance in the cash account however. The fee for the investment account (Schwab) is $18/year and the cash account has a fee of $12/year (Thrift Saver). They also allow automatic monthly investments into the Vanguard S&P index fund, and because it's a mutual fund and not an ETF, you don't need to worry about buying whole shares. For example if you want to invest exactly $279 every month, no problem.