Vanguard Fund changes - A little help?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
katzmandu
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am

Vanguard Fund changes - A little help?

Post by katzmandu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:33 am

Evidently they are doing some moves by me and making changes so wanted to pick the forums' brain to see if any concern or perhaps a To -> from

1) They are changing from Vanguard TSM Institutional Plus to Vanguard Institutional Total Stock Market Index Trust..same ER (.02). Anyone know about this Trust and if its same old/same old?

2) Presently a US Debt Index Fund (.05 ER) so I will need to consider another Bond Fund
Choices are:

Vanguard Long Term Treasury Admiral (VUSUX) (.1 ER)
Vanguard Inflation Protected Institutional (VIPIX) (.07 ER)
Vanguard Intermediate Grade Admiral VFIDX (.1 ER) - If I do nothing, it will convert to this one

I like my current equity positions in my account, so if anyone has any thought about these choices (my only ones) and proportionality one to the other (they'd equal 100% of my bond position), let me know.

TIAX
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Vanguard Fund changes - A little help?

Post by TIAX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 am

katzmandu wrote:Evidently they are doing some moves by me and making changes so wanted to pick the forums' brain to see if any concern or perhaps a To -> from

1) They are changing from Vanguard TSM Institutional Plus to Vanguard Institutional Total Stock Market Index Trust..same ER (.02). Anyone know about this Trust and if its same old/same old?
Yep, same old.

katzmandu
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Vanguard Fund changes - A little help?

Post by katzmandu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 am

TIAX wrote:
katzmandu wrote:Evidently they are doing some moves by me and making changes so wanted to pick the forums' brain to see if any concern or perhaps a To -> from

1) They are changing from Vanguard TSM Institutional Plus to Vanguard Institutional Total Stock Market Index Trust..same ER (.02). Anyone know about this Trust and if its same old/same old?
Yep, same old.
Thanks! Any thought/opinions on the Bond funds? Probably not much to be done, but seeing your costs double? Bleah

Do I gain anything by saving on costs by sticking it into inflation protected or do I take the hit on one (or both) of the other 2 and just deal?"

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Vanguard Fund changes - A little help?

Post by dbr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:02 am

Once you are down to issues of 0.05% it isn't worth a lot of worrying over cost. The issue with costs is getting people out of 2%-3% total investing costs down to the range of 0.1%.

katzmandu
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Vanguard Fund changes - A little help?

Post by katzmandu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:14 am

dbr wrote:Once you are down to issues of 0.05% it isn't worth a lot of worrying over cost. The issue with costs is getting people out of 2%-3% total investing costs down to the range of 0.1%.
Fair enough, but even so, no one like to overpay :)

Any thoughts on which of those 3 funds or what proportions might be best to move the assets over to?

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Vanguard Fund changes - A little help?

Post by dbr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:24 am

katzmandu wrote:
dbr wrote:Once you are down to issues of 0.05% it isn't worth a lot of worrying over cost. The issue with costs is getting people out of 2%-3% total investing costs down to the range of 0.1%.
Fair enough, but even so, no one like to overpay :)

Any thoughts on which of those 3 funds or what proportions might be best to move the assets over to?
Sure. Long term Treasury almost never makes sense for anyone. Inflation indexed bonds might make a lot of sense for older investors protecting a large nest egg of wealth and having little personal capital in future earnings. Any quality intermediate bond fund is a good choice for any portfolio. In your case process of elimination suggests VFIDX.

Post Reply