SIMPLE IRA transfer to vanguard

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ray333

SIMPLE IRA transfer to vanguard

Postby ray333 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:42 pm

considering liquidating my American funds simple and rolling into my Vanguard Roth [I know there will be a tax hit, but its only 6700 in there and I will be in a higher bracket in 2018].

Am I missing something? I do not see SIMPLE IRA on the pull down menu to initiate the transfer ... Would I select "Rollover IRA"? Apologies for what I'm sure will end up being a dumb question. I guess I could just liquidate the funds and have them mail me a check ... how would I put this into my Roth if I already contributed though?

pennstater2005

Re: SIMPLE IRA transfer to vanguard

Postby pennstater2005 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Yes. You can choose the rollover IRA. And then those assets will be transferred in kind. No selling or buying is involved.

This is what I saw when I initiated my wife's simple IRA transfers and I chose rollover IRA.

“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Spirit Rider

Postby Spirit Rider » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Make sure it has been two years since the first contribution was deposited. Otherwise, there will be a 25% penalty, the distribution is irreversible and because they were no longer retirement funds, any amount of the rollover beyond an available Roth contribution is an excess contribution and must be removed.

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Spirit Rider is referring to this IRS rule:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/si ... tributions

Read toward the bottom of the page.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

ray333

Postby ray333 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm

$6700 total. well past the 2 year threshold (almost a decade old) first job out of college pretty much forgot about the account - now obviously trying to get all my investments under the vanguard umbrella.

If I understand correctly, I can only roll up to the 5,500 limit? (Recently rolled a Roth over to Vanguard/made 2017 contribution)

Thank you for the help, much appreciated

pennstater2005

Postby pennstater2005 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm

ray333 wrote:$6700 total. well past the 2 year threshold (almost a decade old) first job out of college pretty much forgot about the account - now obviously trying to get all my investments under the vanguard umbrella.

If I understand correctly, I can only roll up to the 5,500 limit? (Recently rolled a Roth over to Vanguard/made 2017 contribution)

Thank you for the help, much appreciated

Rollovers have no impact on your annual contribution limits. You can rollover any amount and it does not affect the $5500 ceiling. A nice link below regarding Simple IRA to Roth IRA conversions.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers ... th-ira.asp

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”