Vanguard 2 factor authentication and Mint or Personal Capital

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
jkushne1

Vanguard 2 factor authentication and Mint or Personal Capital

Postby jkushne1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:15 pm

I am in the process of setting up 2FA for several of my financial sites for additional security but am running into problems as other services I use (namely Mint and Personal Capital) try and access that information which results in multiple notifications as well as other problems. Has anyone experienced similar issues and found a good way to get the benefit of the extra security via 2 factor authentication on sites like Vanguard yet also the convenience of viewing all your accounts in a service like Mint or Personal Capital?

mhalley

Re: Vanguard 2 factor authentication and Mint or Personal Capital

Postby mhalley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm

My understanding is that 2FA breaks aggregators. I guess you could go into the individual accounts and turn them off, use the aggregators and then go turn them back on. I decided the convenience of the aggregators was worth the small risk of not having 2fa. Instead I get notifications of any trades.
The other option is to manually input the information which removes a lot of the convenience.

dollar_elbow

Postby dollar_elbow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm

In my experience, Personal Capital seems to work fine if you enable Vanguard's 2FA. Mint does not work with 2FA, and will keep prompting you for the one time code each time it tries to check your Vanguard accounts.

knpstr

Postby knpstr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Quicken doesn't mind the 2FA, all get's downloaded without issue.

:beer
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

fatcharlie

Postby fatcharlie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:02 pm

With the SMS 2nd factor, you can still download files via their OFX interface. If the aggregator is using the website, they will likely run into problems.

DaftInvestor

Postby DaftInvestor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:45 pm

I think you have to make a choice between:
1) trust aggregators and the security of your password alone. Many will tell you with a very strong password you don't need 2FA (although you obviously aren't "as secure" as 2FA).
2) Use 2FA in which case - if you are going this route - you shouldn't trust the security of the aggregator either unless they too - are using 2FA.

Wanting the security of 2FA and trusting an aggregator seems a contradiction to me in any case.

BrandonBogle

Postby BrandonBogle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Does Vanguard's Agent Authorization at the View Only access level help with this? You can create a grantee with just view access and it's own username + password for Mint or PC. That is what I did with WellsTrade.

Hockey10

Postby Hockey10 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:16 pm

I use Personal Capital and have a Vanguard account with 2 factor enabled. When I log into Personal Capital, I wait for the text from Vanguard with the 2 factor code, then type it in the Personal Capital site. The code usually arrives within 10 seconds of logging into PC. The only problem I have had is occasionally the code takes about 5 - 10 minutes to arrive after I log into PC, and one time, it never arrived at all.

I also have a Fidelity account with 2 factor. Fidelity uses Symantec VIP Access, which is an app that gives me a code when I open it. This works better than the Vanguard setup, as the code is always there when I ask for it.

If I were to measure the ability to immediately type the code into Personal Capital, over the past year, the Fidelity option has worked 100% of the time and the Vanguard option has worked about 98% of the time.

Some people may think it is a hassle to type in codes after you log into Personal Capital, but I don't mind spending a few extra seconds each day so that I can see all of my financial transactions in one spot.

walletless

Postby walletless » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:24 pm

dollar_elbow wrote:In my experience, Personal Capital seems to work fine if you enable Vanguard's 2FA. Mint does not work with 2FA, and will keep prompting you for the one time code each time it tries to check your Vanguard accounts.

This is my experience as well.

fatcharlie

Postby fatcharlie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:09 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:Does Vanguard's Agent Authorization at the View Only access level help with this? You can create a grantee with just view access and it's own username + password for Mint or PC. That is what I did with WellsTrade.

Does the grantee have to be a real person? If not, this is a great idea

BrandonBogle

Postby BrandonBogle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

fatcharlie wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:Does Vanguard's Agent Authorization at the View Only access level help with this? You can create a grantee with just view access and it's own username + password for Mint or PC. That is what I did with WellsTrade.

Does the grantee have to be a real person? If not, this is a great idea

Sadly, I have no experience on that side. I created a WellsTrade signon for Mint and it works great. I granted read-only access. At Vanguard, I am granted access to other people's accounts in a similar view-only or trade-authorize mode, but I haven't gone through the process of giving out access to see if it can be done for such a purpose. Worst case scenario I imagine you create an ID for a close, trusted friend (or alter ego depending on Vanguard's requirements) and use that instead.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Postby Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 pm

There is always tension between security and convenience.
PJW

BrandonBogle

Postby BrandonBogle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:There is always tension between security and convenience.
PJW

I was just coming to edit my post to elaborate on that specific point. For my Vanguard accounts, I do NOT have them linked to Mint or PC like I do my Wells account, basically because of the lack of a read-only option and I didn't want to give our my username/password. Perhaps I will be the guinea pig at some point and investigate if I can grant a view-only account.

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”