Vanguard Windsor - missing Cost Basis

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ps56k

Vanguard Windsor - missing Cost Basis

Postby ps56k » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Just looking back at my Vanguard funds on the website - Windsor Cost Basis -
it appears that all my other funds have complete Cost Basis,
but my Windsor is missing a large chuck -

Covered - 811 shares
Non-Covered - 3,245 shares

SO.... how do I go about creating the missing Cost Basis -
First will have determine which transactions are missing - or maybe just everything prior to "Covered" timeline.
- divs
- buy shares
- exchanged shares

THEN - how do I actually input that data to update the missing Cost Basis

daveydoo

Re: Vanguard Windsor - missing Cost Basis

Postby daveydoo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 am

It should all be in your annual statements.

By "input," do you mean tell Vanguard? I don't think they care about non-covered shares -- that's between you and the IRS, right?

dbr

Postby dbr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 am

Are you saying you bought these shares at Vanguard and have held them at Vanguard ever since and the information is just blank? I would call and ask.

The previous poster is correct that it is irrelevant for tax purposes pending some mess about how to sell under Spec ID if you ever want to do that.

ps56k

Postby ps56k » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

I had run into the same situation with my stocks over at Schwab - no Cost Basis for some...
BUT - the Schwab website has a way for you to enter your historical transaction - essentially - your Cost Basis transaction items.
I don't see that on the Vanguard website - so there is no way to enter these orig transactions so that the Vanguard system can keep this info moving forward, and generate a complete 1099 at the time of future sale.

FactualFran

Postby FactualFran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 pm

ps56k wrote:I don't see that on the Vanguard website - so there is no way to enter these orig transactions so that the Vanguard system can keep this info moving forward, and generate a complete 1099 at the time of future sale.

I doubt that Vanguard will allow you to enter the transactions for noncovered shares so the transactions appear on the Vanguard web pages of your account.

According to the detailed information on the Vanguard Cost Basis web page for my noncovered shares: "For shares acquired before January 1, 2012, Vanguard has only average cost information.". There is a single "lot" for the noncovered shares with a Data Acquired of Various and correct values in the other column (Quantity, (Average) Cost Per Share, Total Cost, Gain/Loss).

If the fund account was established after 1985 at Vanguard, then Vangaurd will likely report to you the Average Basis of each future sale.

ps56k

Postby ps56k » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks - now I don't have to go back and try to find all the old transactions.

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”