How to Save a Chart?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Vision6800
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 pm

How to Save a Chart?

Postby Vision6800 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:26 am

I simply want to save a chart of a few funds for easy reference. Does Morningstar allow this? Can't find a way to do it there or anywhere like google finance.

Jimmie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Jimmie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:45 am

If the chart is strictly for viewing, you can do a simple screenshot. ALT + PrtScn will copy to your clipboard. Then copy that to a blank Word document. Google "screenshot" for more detailed instructions.

User avatar
GKSD
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 am

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby GKSD » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am

I think on Morningstar, there is a 'Share this Chart' link at the bottom left of the chart - perhaps that might be helpful; else you can do the print-screen or use the web-browser Print option to save entire page as PDF.

Vision6800
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Vision6800 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks, but I'm looking to save a live chart.

Silk McCue
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Silk McCue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am

Vision6800 wrote:Thanks, but I'm looking to save a live chart.


If you want to have ready access to a live chart for one or more funds you need to store the link for that chart somewhere. You can do this by a couple of different approaches. 1) Bookmark the page in your browser once you are on the page. You can create a folder in your bookmarks called "Morningstar Charts" and store all that you want there. You can then bring up your bookmarks at any time from that browser. 2) You can also click on "Share this chart" at the bottom of the page and copy and paste it into a Document or Spreadsheet and then just click on it there to be taken to the chart. 3) Copy the link to chart as in #2 but then use it to create shortcut on your desktop. 4) There may be other ways but either one gets it done for you albeit not the same as Google.

I use both of first two approaches for items of interest and specifically for various FireCalc scenarios that I play around with. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Vision6800
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Vision6800 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:24 am

Thank you Silk, exactly what I was looking for. I missed the share this chart link.

Silk McCue
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Silk McCue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 am

Vision6800 wrote:Thank you Silk, exactly what I was looking for. I missed the share this chart link.


FYI - for any web page that doesn't have a "share this link" sort of thing you simply copy the entire web address in your browser. For instance this is a link i created for the weather in Las Vegas using that technique.

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USNV0049:1:US

Vision6800
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Vision6800 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
FYI - for any web page that doesn't have a "share this link" sort of thing you simply copy the entire web address in your browser. For instance this is a link i created for the weather in Las Vegas using that technique.

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USNV0049:1:US


FYI, if you only copy the url from the chart page it won't remember any changes you have made in the chart. With share this link it will.

User avatar
Peter Foley
Posts: 3765
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Lake Wobegon

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Peter Foley » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

If you are using windows, just use the snip it feature and copy and paste it into a word doc.

Silk McCue
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: How to Save a Chart?

Postby Silk McCue » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 am

Vision6800 wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
FYI - for any web page that doesn't have a "share this link" sort of thing you simply copy the entire web address in your browser. For instance this is a link i created for the weather in Las Vegas using that technique.

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USNV0049:1:US


FYI, if you only copy the url from the chart page it won't remember any changes you have made in the chart. With share this link it will.


Excellent point Vision6800. Thank you for sharing this crucial point for the MorningStar site. For websites that don't have a "share this link" then copy and paste of the web address is the probably the best you can do.


Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: avalpert, billfromct, DSInvestor, Dwayne, Emilyjane, RetiredinKaty, rixer, Tim89, Tyler Aspect, venkman, Yahoo [Bot] and 62 guests