Hit 2M Net worth - Wanted to pass my gratitude to all wonderful people in this forum

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
njay73

Hit 2M Net worth - Wanted to pass my gratitude to all wonderful people in this forum

Post by njay73 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:21 am

Below is the link to my firts post back in January 2014. I was cluless and directionless. Without help and guidance of bogleheads i will not see this day. It is not just finalcial wisdome , overall how to have balance life. A BIG THANK YOU!

Now I am pondering early retirement, I took 2 months off from work to evaluate what should I do, still not 100% sure, but well that will be question in another post.
At least, now I know I should focus on my health, happyness and get more involved with charity or cause. "Without health and gratitude, no amount of money is worth".

Thank you again!

Here is my brakdown

Net Worth : 2,021,799
-------------------------------------------------------------
Investment ( 53% equity, 47% bond) : 1,402,996
Emergency Cash : 185,000
Pension : 45,000
Home Equity : 389,000

My begining post : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129600

David Jay

Re: Hit 2M Net worth - Wanted to pass my gratitude to all wonderful people in this forum

Post by David Jay » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:29 am

Congrats!

Isn't it cool to have a place like BH where we can celebrate each other's achievements. I don't have anyone beyond my DW with whom I could share news like that.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

njay73

Re: Hit 2M Net worth - Wanted to pass my gratitude to all wonderful people in this forum

Post by njay73 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:35 am

David Jay wrote:Congrats!

Isn't it cool to have a place like BH where we can celebrate each other's achievements. I don't have anyone beyond my DW with whom I could share news like that.
Thank you, my case is worst :). I am single, so you guys are only one I have. being a modest person I dont whant to share this with close family or friends.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 am

:sharebeer
:thumbsup
:moneybag
:D
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am

Congratulations!

You were doing pretty well when you got here, judging by your first post, so give yourself some credit, too. :beer

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:43 am

Grats njay on the accomplishment. I am working on my 2nd million also, but already retired so it may not be easy:)

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:46 am

Congrats! :beer
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

PandaBear

Post by PandaBear » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:51 am

And on Pi Day. How fortuitous! Congratulations man.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 pm

:D :beer
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:09 pm

HUGE congrats to you! :sharebeer
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams

bligh

Post by bligh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Congratulations njay73!

I am sure you have worked very hard to get where you are... go enjoy the fruits of that labor.

Artisan

Post by Artisan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Enjoy the moment, and all the moments that come after.

Congratulations!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:48 pm

So true, David Jay. . . so true.

Congratulations.
Not an easy achievement by any means.

dewey

Post by dewey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm

njay73---

I didn't see your age? Just curious. But definitely congratulations regardless of it!
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

njay73

Post by njay73 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 pm

dewey wrote:njay73---

I didn't see your age? Just curious. But definitely congratulations regardless of it!
Thank you, I am 47.

ved

Post by ved » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm

OP,
Congratulations. Awesome achievement.

Is the pension of $45k, the current value (NPV) of the pension? Or, is it a annual payout at some future retirement date?

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:09 pm

njay73 wrote:

Thank you, my case is worst :). I am single, so you guys are only one I have. being a modest person I dont whant to share this with close family or friends.
Great accomplishment! Even more so since you're single (only one income). :beer

-Steph

njay73

Post by njay73 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:36 pm

ved wrote:OP,
Congratulations. Awesome achievement.

Is the pension of $45k, the current value (NPV) of the pension? Or, is it a annual payout at some future retirement date?
Thank you, it is current value, this is from my current employer, based on pay credit 4% upto 100K plus interest, it is 100% vested. So If I chose, I could rollover this to anuunity or something else.
I have have paid much thought about this yet, and I dont include this into my asset allocation or investment.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Sun May 07, 2017 11:10 am

Awesome job! I am very happy for you. It's great to see you successfully landed and have the time to pursue the next adventure in life! Cheers, Cheers! :sharebeer
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Excellent! :beer

Agree with you about the value of this forum.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 am

Congrats!

It is so nice to have the feeling of "financial freedom" that so many people are lacking. I recently saw an article that said something like 45% of all Americans are currently carrying non-mortgage debt. How liberating to have saved a nice pile for yourself and now you can consider options such as early retirement that others might not ever have.....

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 am

Congrats!

$1M to $2M in just over 3 years! Very impressive!

Is it true that the first $1M is the hardest?

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Mon May 08, 2017 12:49 pm

njay73 wrote:...Thank you, my case is worst :). I am single, so you guys are only one I have. being a modest person I dont whant to share this with close family or friends.
If you ever share your net worth with anyone that person will consider you the source of all wealth for the rest of your life.

I don't even post our net worth here -- someone who knows me might read this. The internet is forever.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Mon May 08, 2017 1:15 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
njay73 wrote:...Thank you, my case is worst :). I am single, so you guys are only one I have. being a modest person I dont whant to share this with close family or friends.
If you ever share your net worth with anyone that person will consider you the source of all wealth for the rest of your life.

I don't even post our net worth here -- someone who knows me might read this. The internet is forever.

Agree. For the Plan of Record to the internet, my net worth has officially reached $5000 dollars. Cheers. :sharebeer
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Congrats!
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon May 08, 2017 1:24 pm

njay73 wrote:

Thank you, I am 47.
Great job! I'm making you my new role model. My new goal is $2M by 47. I don't usually have problems letting people know how much I have. People usually have a problem with me being boastful and bragging. Either it's true or I have no idea how to talk about money without being smug.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:28 pm

DTSC wrote:Congrats!

$1M to $2M in just over 3 years! Very impressive!

Is it true that the first $1M is the hardest?
Congrats OP! You're making great progress on a steady march towards a comfortable retirement.

I don't mean to disparage the accomplishment, but want to clarify a few points. In the last 3 years, the market is up around 40%. Bond returns were likely lower, so getting 40% average overall returns with a 50/50 or 60/40 portfolio would have required some additions. Ops investments went from $1M to 1.4M. Emergency cash went up a little. Didn't see mention of pension before. Mortgage of $238k is mentioned vs equity of $389k. Would assume mortgage principal went down a little and equity had risen a little over the 3 years. Are these accounting correctly and equivalently?

It feels good to make fast progress, but prepare for the 3 down or flat years where even when you're contributing new monies to accounts, yet the net worth is flat or falling. Don't let it get to you as you are still making progress when the market isn't. Or better yet, ignore it completely and track it over longer periods like 5 or 10 years where the chances are overwhelmingly going to be positive.

And yes, if you're counting millions, the first is the hardest since going forward you have big investments working for you. If you had $10M, and the market goes up 10%, you just have to breath air to get to the next million. However, the next successive doubling is harder than the last (i.e from $1M to 2M, then $2M to 4M), since your investments have to do more of the heavy lifting.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 am

mmmodem wrote:
njay73 wrote:

Thank you, I am 47.
Great job! I'm making you my new role model. My new goal is $2M by 47. I don't usually have problems letting people know how much I have. People usually have a problem with me being boastful and bragging. Either it's true or I have no idea how to talk about money without being smug.
Funny post. Money is very tough to talk about. I will never ever divulge net worth to others. All I see is downside.

If you tell your friends that you have saved $1M or $2M or whatever, and they look at their own books and know that they've saved $100K, there is no way they will be anything other than embarrassed or jealous or disappointed or scared. And their self-protection emotions will turn that into anger and contempt and they will think that you are being a braggart or smug. And how can they not think so if you are just volunteering the info and sprinkling it into conversations? Even if someone specifically ASKS me, I still would never tell them. I would just be very humble and say stuff like I'm fortunate to have a good job that allows me to save some money, and I make it a goal of mine to always live below my means so I can save something for the future, etc. NO UPSIDE to telling someone your true number!!! Either they then secretly dislike you or are jealous of you, OR they start to see you as Mr. Moneybuckets and then think you are CHEAP when you don't donate lots of money to the PTA they are involved with or you only buy 2 boxes of girl scout cookies instead of 25 or whatever. Just no upside to it that I can see.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Fri May 12, 2017 12:11 am

Hogan773 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:
njay73 wrote:

Thank you, I am 47.
Funny post. Money is very tough to talk about. I will never ever divulge net worth to others. All I see is downside.

If you tell your friends that you have saved $1M or $2M or whatever, and they look at their own books and know that they've saved $100K, there is no way they will be anything other than embarrassed or jealous or disappointed or scared. And their self-protection emotions will turn that into anger and contempt and they will think that you are being a braggart or smug. And how can they not think so if you are just volunteering the info and sprinkling it into conversations? Even if someone specifically ASKS me, I still would never tell them. I would just be very humble and say stuff like I'm fortunate to have a good job that allows me to save some money, and I make it a goal of mine to always live below my means so I can save something for the future, etc. NO UPSIDE to telling someone your true number!!! Either they then secretly dislike you or are jealous of you, OR they start to see you as Mr. Moneybuckets and then think you are CHEAP when you don't donate lots of money to the PTA they are involved with or you only buy 2 boxes of girl scout cookies instead of 25 or whatever. Just no upside to it that I can see.

Absolutely agree. I'll never tell my friends or family my net worth. There's no scenario it'll ever come out positive. I've enough, that's all I say. A friend of mine told me his successful buddy (mid-40's) manage to save $300k in retirement and how we all need to learn from him as a role model etc. I smiled and acknowledged. That's it. :wink:

njay73

Post by njay73 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 pm

thanks for the kind words, everyone. I don't plan on sharing this milestone with anyone other than this forum.
I posted this not boastoff, but to pass my gratitude and thanks to kind people who spend time guiding others.

Although I think people might decipher my user handle and find my real identity, i do feel this is still a anynomus forum.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Good. However you had a high net worth to begin with 3 years ago.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed May 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Congratulations! Now your next milestone is $2 million not counting home equity.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm

moneywise3 wrote:Good. However you had a high net worth to begin with 3 years ago.
And however, the OP saved up and invested by sacrificing current consumption to have that high net worth 3 years ago! So, living below ones means truly does work! Great work, OP.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Thu May 25, 2017 6:38 am

Awesome Job!!! It definitely sounds like early retirement is in your future!!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:20 am

Hogan773 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:
njay73 wrote:

Thank you, I am 47.

Yes I agree, several years back after a few beers I let it slip and told a friend my NW, next thing you know I was expected to buy all the rounds. Live and learn.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:47 am

Nova1967 wrote:
Hogan773 wrote:
mmmodem wrote:
njay73 wrote:

Thank you, I am 47.

Yes I agree, several years back after a few beers I let it slip and told a friend my NW, next thing you know I was expected to buy all the rounds. Live and learn.
Just no upside to talking about money with friends, really. I'm happy to answer questions or talk about my strategies without ever mentioning amounts. I also tend to live well below my means (probably like most Bogleheads) so that helps me maintain my "cover."

Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi » Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 am

Well done!
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle