Preparing information to ask Portfolio questions

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Dreday78

Preparing information to ask Portfolio questions

Post by Dreday78 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Good evening. I am gathering all the important information needed to be able to ask for guidance in regards to my portfolio. I'm using 'Asking Portfolio Questions' written by Laura as my guide. When going through the funds I'm actually invested in in my 457b plan, am I to list each individual fund as well as current contribution percentages? There are also 16 other availble fund options. Should I list all of them with corresponding ticker symbols & expense ratios?

Thank you in advance.

livesoft

Re: Preparing information to ask Portfolio questions

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Some people will want to see all of them. Others will want to see all of the one's that have expense ratios below say 0.25%. And others will probably have something else they want to see.

You will be able to edit your initial post to add info that others ask about, so you might just want to get something out there first at the risk of annoying some readers/helpers.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Yes, list the options. Names and ERs are important; ticker symbols less so.

It can be helpful to list current holdings as percentages. The guidance you cite invites listing current contributions in raw dollar amounts per account - the percentage breakdown among the investment choices is somewhat less interesting.

Elbowman

Post by Elbowman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 pm

At the end of the day people are looking for what low cost (ER) options you have available. So if you have a low cost US stock fund available, no one will pay much attention to the high cost US stock funds. But figuring out the lowest cost option for each category might be more work than copy/pasting all 16.

Dreday78

Post by Dreday78 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks. I got it.