Fee per purchase of an ETF? Vanguard ROTH

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ceej

Fee per purchase of an ETF? Vanguard ROTH

Postby ceej » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 am

I recently opened a Vanguard Roth IRA. I have contributed $5500 to it and did a three fund portfolio. I have about $62 left over and I was thinking about purchasing another VXUS ETF share, but I was wondering if I get charged a transaction fee per purchase. Would it be better to invest once or twice a year rather than multiple times? I want to make sure the best way to go about purchasing to avoid excess fees.

Thank you!

tfb

Re: Fee per purchase of an ETF? Vanguard ROTH

Postby tfb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 am

ceej wrote:I have about $62 left over and I was thinking about purchasing another VXUS ETF share, but I was wondering if I get charged a transaction fee per purchase.

When you try to enter an order it will tell you whether there's a fee just like you will see tax and shipping when you buy something online. Try it now.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

aristotelian

Postby aristotelian » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 am

From the Vanguard website...

No commissions
You'll never pay a brokerage commission to buy or sell Vanguard ETFs in your Vanguard Brokerage Account, whether you're trading online or with the help of one of our investment professionals.

jryan

Postby jryan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 am

Hi ceey,

If you visit the Vanguard Brokerage Services commission and fee schedules page, you'll find that there are no fees for ETFs bought or sold at Vanguard.

Vanguard mutual funds & ETFs (exchange-traded funds)
There are no commissions when you buy and sell low-cost Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs.
If you buy and sell the same Vanguard ETF® in a Vanguard Brokerage Account more than 25 times in a 12-month period, you may be restricted from purchasing that Vanguard ETF through your Vanguard Brokerage Account for 60 days.

ceej

Postby ceej » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:27 am

TY ALL!!!!

Nate79

Postby Nate79 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:13 pm

This is one of the reasons I like mutual funds better than ETFs so that I can keep 100% invested instead of letting cash sit in the settlement fund until you have enough to buy one share. And even then there is always an odd amount remaining. Especially if you don't automatically reinvest dividends/capital gains.

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”