CRISPR Cas9 [Molecular biology - Targeted genome editing]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
malabargold

CRISPR Cas9 [Molecular biology - Targeted genome editing]

Post by malabargold » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Anyone following/investing in the CRISPR Cas9 saga playing out
in biotech? Editas vs Crispr therapeutics, etc?

myford.m.lseven

Re: CRISPR Cas9

Post by myford.m.lseven » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 am

Not really following the patent battle but will say that the technology is over hyped. It is a long way from being used in humans. It's main utility in the next 10 years will be creating disease models for testing therapies. No small thing but that technology has been around for a while and CRISPR CAS9 just makes it easier. IMHO I wouldn't sink a load of money into this one yet.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:44 am

This is only the second time I've heard the term - the other time was on my favorite podcast, The Skeptics Guide To The Universe. They love science and frequently discuss new research (and bad reporting about research papers). It's become a bit of a joke with them when they discuss the possible benefits and how long it will take for things to become both practical and economically viable. Invariably someone states it is probably 5-10 years away but that's kind of understood to mean nobody knows and it could be a lot longer. Even experts in the field tend to be overly enthusiastic and underestimate the hurdles most new technologies will have to cover.
If I am stupid I will pay.

kiddoc

Post by kiddoc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:50 am

Despite being a physician who tries to remain up-to-date on some basic science, I had never heard about this before I read your thread. I read the wikipedia. Sounds like another small-cap growth lottery ticket. You know what Larry Swedroe says about those...
"The four most dangerous words in investing are: 'this time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:53 am

myford.m.lseven wrote:Not really following the patent battle but will say that the technology is over hyped. It is a long way from being used in humans. It's main utility in the next 10 years will be creating disease models for testing therapies. No small thing but that technology has been around for a while and CRISPR CAS9 just makes it easier. IMHO I wouldn't sink a load of money into this one yet.
I thought this was the technology they are using for the gene drives that they are thinking about releasing "into the wilds" for controlling mosquito populations to limit Zika and/or malaria.

To the OP - I have no intention of investing in this or any technology stock. Luckily my profession disallows it and saves me from myself.

Topic Author
malabargold

Post by malabargold » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:57 am

I think it probably has more than most biotech lottery tickets going for it.
So do MIT/Harvard, North Carolina State and Berkeley!

scienceguy

Post by scienceguy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 am

I am a super expert on this general field and can say that there are certain aspects of it that are really interesting and promising, especially when it comes to designing experimental systems for identifying new anticancer drugs, etc. However, there are certain aspects of it that are very dramatically overhyped such as the ability to easily make very specific changes in human DNA, and the ability to make germline modifications to humans. Its definitely a breakthrough, and may very well win a Nobel Prize, but is more limited in its efficacy and immediate applications than is generally appreciated. That is largely because the inventors have been overhyping it in their fight for credit/Nobel/riches. Also, FYI in my opinion the patent decision yesterday was exactly correct. The MIT guy was really they guy who made it work in human cells; the Berekeley scientist did some early test-tube work and then made very aggressive claims on the patent app about applications to human and other cell types that had not been accomplished yet. The MIT guy actually did those things.

Topic Author
malabargold

Post by malabargold » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:13 am

I think researchers at North Carolina State were there
5 years earlier and hold around 20 patents involving CRISPR-Cas9 - but strictly related to prokaryotes and food science, which would seem to be very commercially viable, but I have not identified any startups from them.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: CRISPR Cas9 [Molecular biology - Targeted genome editing]

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:23 am

Here's a better explanation than Wikipedia: CRISPR/Cas9 and Targeted Genome Editing: A New Era in Molecular Biology

It looks like no companies will be offering investment opportunities anytime soon.Based on past experience (Metallic Hydrogen), this will shortly turn into a science discussion.

We need to remain focused on investing. Let's close the discussion for now.See: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Once some start-up companies reach a viable investing level, we can re-open the discussion.

(Topic locked.)

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 pm

After receiving a PM, this thread is unlocked to continue an investing related discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
malabargold

Post by malabargold » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Any new thoughts?

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:51 pm

There was article in WSJ recently regarding China using this technology bypassing normal laws that prohibits quick adoption in US.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-unha ... 1516562360

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Opinion, of course:

I wouldn't worry too much about investing in CRISPR. CRISPR is only one piece of the puzzle. There are a bunch of other steps before this gives way to viable gene therapies. Inevitably, companies that you already own through total market funds are going to score some critical patents, and you'll have access to the profits of CRISPR a and related technologies at market cap weight.

That should be more than enough exposure. I'd advise against going any further than that (buying individual biotech companies), because it's akin to investing in tech stocks in the late 1990s. The technology might change everything, but that doesn't mean that these companies are going to turn profits. Many of them will fail.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 pm

I know nothing about this, but the companies revenue are single digit millions with valuations in the $1-3B range, and continuing to bleed with no sign of breaking even anytime soon. This means most likely they'll be looking at more rounds of investment.

https://finance.google.com/finance?chdn ... 2AbKnYTYDw

Investing in their partners might be a lower risk strategy, where they could benefit if successful, or be around to pick up the pieces for cheap.
http://ir.crisprtx.com/phoenix.zhtml?c= ... ID=2184476

Or look into their licensees who may not be dependent on who owns the technology since they'll be paying licensing fees anyway.
http://www.ersgenomics.com/press-release-2017-02-15.php

Monster99

Post by Monster99 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 pm

I was a biochemist for a large pharma co. and have done a small amount of molecular biology, and can say it is quite useful, but not all that easy-to-use. Still will be interesting to see if it can be utilized to its full potential in the next 10 years...