Does Vanguard Charge Any Withdrawal Fees?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
CaliGirl

Does Vanguard Charge Any Withdrawal Fees?

Post by CaliGirl »

I've googled this question and looked on their website. I don't see anything regarding withdrawl fees one way or the other. So, I'm wondering if any of you making withdrawls can tell me. Thanks!
AlohaJoe

Re: Does Vanguard Charge Any Withdrawl Fees?

Post by AlohaJoe »

I typed "Vanguard withdrawal fees" into Google, the very first result is this Vanguard page on the topic: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/fees

It may help if you point towards the part that is unclear or you're looking for more information on, to get better answers.
sport

Post by sport »

AlohaJoe gave you a very good complete answer. The short answer is "no" with a very few exceptions.
Topic Author
CaliGirl

What is your experience with Vanguard Deposits/Withdrawls?

Post by CaliGirl »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi.

I'm considering opening a Roth IRA with Vanguard and would like to know about your experience with them. I am specifically wondering if they charge withdrawls fees, but would be glad for any information on using them.

Thanks!
Topic Author
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

AlohaJoe wrote:I typed "Vanguard withdrawal fees" into Google, the very first result is this Vanguard page on the topic: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/fees

It may help if you point towards the part that is unclear or you're looking for more information on, to get better answers.
Yes, thank you. I also found this page when I searched, but it didn't mention withdrawl fees one way or the other.
Topic Author
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

sport wrote:AlohaJoe gave you a very good complete answer. The short answer is "no" with a very few exceptions.

Thanks! Good to know! I'm going to open an account with Vanguard.
livesoft

Re: What is your experience with Vanguard Deposits/Withdrawls?

Post by livesoft »

Vanguard has never charged me any fees for deposits and withdrawals. There are some funds with short-term redemption fees, but I doubt you will be using one of them. They are very clearly stated though, so it would be hard to miss them. I have paid a short-term redemption fee years and years ago.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

Once you have an account , most account types can be arranged with a linked bank account so transactions can be requested/done online.

I have found VG to be much easier than Fidelity for doing all transactions on line.

lafder
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

CaliGirl wrote:
AlohaJoe wrote:I typed "Vanguard withdrawal fees" into Google, the very first result is this Vanguard page on the topic: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/fees

Yes, thank you. I also found this page when I searched, but it didn't mention withdrawl fees one way or the other.
It says "Very few Vanguard funds charge fees when you buy and sell shares.". What's the difference between a withdrawal fee and a redemption/selling fee? Do you mean an account transfer fee (i.e. when you withdraw your entire portfolio and move it to another company)?

There are fees for withdrawing many things from Vanguard brokerage services, if that's what you meant by withdrawals.
Taylor Larimore

Withdrawal Fees?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

There are fees for withdrawing many things from Vanguard brokerage services, if that's what you meant by withdrawals.
AlohaJoe:

Please list the fees you mentioned--or where we can find the list.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Does Vanguard Charge Any Withdrawal Fees?

Post by LadyGeek »

I moved CaliGirl's 2nd thread back into the original. I also fixed the spelling in the thread title "Withdrawl" to "Withdrawal".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

It says "Very few Vanguard funds charge fees when you buy and sell shares.". What's the difference between a withdrawal fee and a redemption/selling fee? Do you mean an account transfer fee (i.e. when you withdraw your entire portfolio and move it to another company)?

Yes, transferring money to my bank account from my Vanguard portfolio - some or all of it. That's not the same as selling. Thanks!
Topic Author
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

livesoft wrote:Vanguard has never charged me any fees for deposits and withdrawals. There are some funds with short-term redemption fees, but I doubt you will be using one of them. They are very clearly stated though, so it would be hard to miss them. I have paid a short-term redemption fee years and years ago.
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'd hate to get signed on and find out the hard way. I didn't see anything on their site specifically about deposits and withdrawals, and I couldn't find the info on the comparison sites I looked at either. I figured someone here would know.
Topic Author
CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl »

Lafder wrote:Once you have an account , most account types can be arranged with a linked bank account so transactions can be requested/done online.

I have found VG to be much easier than Fidelity for doing all transactions on line.

lafder
Thank you! That's good to know. I've never used an investment company before so I have no experience for comparison.
Topic Author
CaliGirl

Re: Does Vanguard Charge Any Withdrawal Fees?

Post by CaliGirl »

LadyGeek wrote:I moved CaliGirl's 2nd thread back into the original. I also fixed the spelling in the thread title "Withdrawl" to "Withdrawal".
I apologize for the extra post. Someone pm'd me and said I should create another post with a better title to get some answers.

Also, thanks for fixing the typo! Now I know how to spell withdrawal! 8-)